HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Damn, Chuck, those volute scrolls are as nice as any I've seen on contemporary models. I think you've got this laser printing thing down pat! I wonder if you'll be able to do complex moldings like the main rail when you get to the bow. It's difficult even with scrapers.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Wow, that is the appearance I like to create also for my HMS Triton. It's a fantastic result

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

On 11/29/2019 at 3:12 AM, Chuck said:

Here is a photo of the frieze with the name

friezetest2.jpg

Hello Chuck,

I personally prefer the colours, you used above.

Is it possible to get the freeze with this green-blue background? I am still thinking about the old masters gel stain. It would match better, using the darker Colours.

Thanks 

Matthias

That is the color....it might just print differently on everyones printer.  Also my the photos may look different of my model because of my camera settings.   But no I cant change it because each piece is frieze is made up of several images strung together which would take hours and hours to redo and change....either in color or size.  So everyone will have to import them into a program if they want to change it.   I wont have the time or desire to custom alter the friezes for everyone.  What you see took about 100 hours to create over many weeks.

Chuck

No but after printing....spraying and such....and taking photos it will look different than in real life.   But you can always import it and alter the saturation and contrast settings in photoshop or something.

friezeinal1.jpg

Chuck, everything looks great. The side frieze design is the best that I have seen.

The quarter galleries are works of art them selves. Still lean toward the natural roof, but like the slate 

color. 
Side note, I ordered the Boxwood set form Jack three days ago and they are delivering tomorrow.

That is unbelievable.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Please get some Rest!

Tim

If you mean the friezes they are in sections on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.

thanks Tim,  i should also have have the resin sets up on my site today.  So watch for that.

9 hours ago, Tim Murphy said:

Side note, I ordered the Boxwood set form Jack three days ago and they are delivering tomorrow.

Yes, I sent the first six sets to the agent yesterday. The agent has received them this morning and sent them to the United States from DHL this afternoon. It happens that the first six members are all in U.S.A. I have sent the second batch to the agent this afternoon. Tomorrow, the agent will send the second batch to DHL for sending out. merry Christmas to every one in advance!

Jack

Edited by hjx

For those building in Cherry or pear.....

Here is what they will look like with a coat of OLD MASTERS fruitwood gel stain.  

I STRONGLY recommend that whether you are building in Yellow Cedar, Cherry or pear, that you apply a coat of this gel stain with a brush.  Leave it sit for a minute or two.  Then buff it off with another soft but clean brush or soft lint free cloth.   It really does the trick and creates the finish you want.  Below shown against some scrap Pear I had and left on a bit longer to get less contrast.

pear.JPG

Resin sets are now up on my site for sale.  I am also selling the figureheads stand alone.  Keep in mind the Christmas holiday so I may not be able to ship until after Xmas now.   The admiral is giving me too many Santa Duties.

Chuck

Looks great Chuck and I've placed my order! Take your time shipping and enjoy the Christmas holiday with your family!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I was looking back on your discussion of finishes on yellow cedar and I asked my cousin who still fishes out of Sitka about its use as planking on the wooden Salmon Trollers there. Yellow cedar isn't used that much for planking as it doesn't hold finishes well. It has a natural oil in it that rejects most finishes as you found out. If left to itself the cedar will naturally darken as I found out when a retailer of one of my carved paddles found out when he put a sticker on one. When removed by the customerer a lighter colored spot he shape of the sticker was left and the sale was rejected. It sure it pretty as model planking though. Your work is superb BTW. Another interesting thing about cedar is that its bark can be stripped in the spring of the year and is cleaned and cut into long flexible strips that  is then woven into durable baskets.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Yes indeed.  Luckily our models dont see the outside and any water.  The cedar really works well and has a great color that is so complimentary with the use of boxwood.

In fact, to point that out, I finished the qgallery on the starboard side.  For the most part, all of the wood that makes up what you see on the qqallery is boxwood.  It blends really well with the cedar.  You get the benefit of the cheaper price so you can use it for planking and frames and other big stuff.  Then like done here you can switch to the ever more expensive boxwood for the details and other fittings.  In fact, most of the deck fittings and molding will all be done in boxwood.  

The qgallery roof rail is all laser cut from boxwood.  You basically have to evenly space the four uprights which are at an angle leaning aft.  There is a nice etched detail on each of them.  These are super super tiny at only 1/16" wide give or take and 1/8" tall.  Then the top rail is added.  This is laser cut with an etched detail along the bottom to give it some depth.  I sanded the laser char and rounded off the edges a bit.  Then I glued it on top of the four uprights.  Yes it a bit longer so you van adjust it to fit your model.

Lastly, the three laser cut fancy "flowers" for lack of a better description were glued into the space provided for them.  These are fragile.  Only 1/64" thick and again soooo tiny.  Dont even bother trying to remove the laser char from the edges.  They will break.  Just glue them in position.  That is what I did.

This completes all the work for the starboard side as described in chapter 3.  Now to repeat this on the port side!!!

Left natural and unpainted...just so you can see it.  Its too bright for my tastes.  I am going with the painted version.

qgallrail.jpg

The painted version....weathered to look like a slate color....I may still lighten it up a bit.

qgallrail1.jpg

qgallrail2.jpg

Overall the galleries came out well.  But these are tricky with so many complex angles.  I definitely recommend buying the laser cut pieces for these even if you are trying to build most everything from scratch.  The windows and glazing and the columns with laser etched flutes etc.  All of the laser cut and etched scrolls will be included too.  The angles are all worked out for you and this will make building the qgalleries so much easier.  These parts will be mostly boxwood for the cedar version and cherry for those building it in pear or some other darker wood.  

Oh and I added a scrap piece of painted strip to show you guys what the cap rail will eventually look like.   This will be painted black and glued on top of the sheer much later in the  project.  After we finish planking inboard.  Much later...but it shows how nice it will be finished off.

Any questions or comments??? 

Hi Chuck, 

You are doing incredible job, what ever you do. I would love to start with your Cheerful project (and then turn to this gem) but how is the shipping to europe pleasee? 

Thanks

Petr 

Its what you would expect.  It costs a lot.  Its different depending on what you buy.  The easiest way to find out is to put stuff in your cart in my online store and then it will calculate it.  You will find the exact price that way before you check out.

Looks really good Chuck - still thinking about an approach for us building in Pear/Cherry.  Maybe just going with Boxwood colored for the rails and sculptures will look good. It does tie in well with the frieze.  Usually I only like three tones in a project - on this one there could be black wales, red bulwarks, pear planking, boxwood sculptures/rails and blue frieze.  Or dye all of the boxwood down using your recommended gel stain - Ill have to experiment.  

This ship is looking amazing - kudos - Im also thinking of rigging her.  Ive got the space !!!!

I think it will look fantastic with the colors I just mailed you for the carvings.  The frieze will look good too.   You just need to wait until after planking is done to really experiment so you need to get back at it and start making some more sawdust.

I really can't say enough about your build process and how stunning it looks.

Going to the 1:48 scale was a great choice! Also the darker roof on the quarter

galleries looks better to me too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Its what you would expect.  It costs a lot.  Its different depending on what you buy.  The easiest way to find out is to put stuff in your cart in my online store and then it will calculate it.  You will find the exact price that way before you check out.

Thanks a lot Chuck! Will check that. 

@Peta_V when I have looked a while back apart from he bulkheads all Winchelsea packages shipping was between $16 and $27

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Have a great Christmas holiday and new year and I look forward to the next chapters. 😁

Thanks Chuck 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 12/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, ChrisLBren said:

This ship is looking amazing - kudos - Im also thinking of rigging her.  Ive got the space !!!!

LOL - I have lots of room too - it's the admiral that's having an issue with it.  She has nowhere to find a home!!!  

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea