HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Those First rows of planking above look awesome chuck and the figurehead

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thanks for the update and milling tips. She's looking great and thankfully the busy summer

and complete lack of shoptime quenches my desire to start on her! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

plankingtosheer.jpg

thanks guys....Rusty, I am just waiting til I finish planking a bit more.  Its been a long time since I had to cut around so many gun ports.  The Starboard side is a third of the way complete.   

You can see the five strakes of the wales and black strake which are darker.  This first layer was done this way on purpose so I could make sure that I put the second and final layers on the right strakes.  Also....the black strake can be left bright and unfinished or painted black along with the wales.  In this case the wales on the Winnie are so wide I think it would look a bit much.  So I will NOT be painting the black strake.   I am using other contemporary models like the Amazon as inspiration for this.  See below.  Imagine if you can if the black strake was also painted black on the model below.  It would be too wide and look over-bearing.  Dont forget to click on those pics of Amazon.....they are quite large and quite a treat to see this magnificent model up close.    I have these handy as inspiration while working on my model.amazon2.jpg

amazon3.jpg

Oh I also made this mock up of the other carvings to display at joint clubs.   I know its not the best picture....but I thought I would post what all of the other carvings will look like.  These dont have any finish on them.

sterncarving.jpg

Forgive me Chuck, I have read and re-read your milling description and I am still wanting. In the first picture with the billet, is the grain running from L to R? If so then when you rip off a 1/4" sub-billet, say from that upper edge of the billet your "sub" billet has a clear face and the resulting planks are almost 1/4 sawn? Am I correct? And you can get the same results with cherry?

And in terms of bending is edge bending any more difficult?

Thanks.

Joe

Joe,

In order to understand, I had to draw this one out for myself.  Here's the drawing I came up with:

IMG_4197.thumb.jpg.0971213fab29f71f09bcbbfcd872e358.jpg

‘I looked into a book on trigonometry once,’ said Martin. ‘It was called A Simple Way of Resolving All Triangles, invaluable for Gentlemen, Surveyors, and Mariners, carefully adapted for the Meanest Understanding: but I had to give it up. Some understandings are even meaner than the author imagined, it appears.’

Leopard did a great job showing what I was describing......and no.....edge bending is fine either way.  But the face of your strip is smooth and grain-free on your model.

Yes they are the milling marks from the monster bandsaw I use to mill sheets from those larger bricks of wood.  But you dont see any on the wide sheet I milled.  What you do see on the smaller 2" wide sheet is the grain pattern.......so when you rip the strips from this smaller sheet the "important" side of each strip wont have them.

Ditto Maury's comment Chuck, there is no comparison with the older mass produced kits.  Kudos!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Chuck

Are the carvings Castello box or English/European boxwood?   Great work regardless, just curious.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Neither...They are some weird Asian Boxwood.  Its what they use to make all of the little carved sculptures you can buy on the web.  It has no grain pattern at all and carves like butter.   But it is more yellow than Castello or even European box.

No I dont sell the wood or have any of that material.  Its pretty impossible to import other than by commisioning the cnc carvings.  Damn near impossible to import raw wood from China.

I have finished planking the starboard side up to the sheer.   I will start on the port side this weekend.   As you can see now, the wales and black strake are much darker than the wood above it.  That was done on purpose so I could easily identify the wales when I add the second layer.  Having said that,  the Alaskan Yellow cedar is really nice stuff for working this large.  I like the color and its easy to work with.  This is the largest model ship I have seen made from Yellow cedar.   This will be a great test of how versatile and useful it is for ship modeling.

plankedtosheer1.jpg

plankedtosheer.jpg

plankedtosheer2.jpg

Chuck

Your planking looks absolut fantastic. I like the color of the cedar. I think it will give a really nice contrast with pear of swiss pear.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks guys...

Interesting about the Alaskan cedar is that like other woods, there are plenty of color variations within a batch of lumber.  It was fairly easy for me to select the darker/more tan cedar I used for the wales which incidentally is a near perfect match for boxwood.   You would of course need a huge amount in your wood pile to select the tone you wanted.  I could have very easily selected that same color I used for the wales for the entire model.  But I wanted to use the more traditional and more plentiful lighter and warmer tone which is what most will see when they get this.

Chuck

Beautiful!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Beautiful build Chuck,

its a pleasure to follow your Winchelsea Version 2

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I dont know.......I havent used it for very long.  Time will tell!!!   But I am being very careful to pick wood for planking that is very close in color.

If we did not know better Chuck you would think that is a 3D generated model - you are a master of your craft Sir!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

6 hours ago, amateur said:

Beautiful ship!

question: does the colour differences remain over time?

the socalled wallnut in the European kirs also show rather large colourvariations. These tend to disappear over time, as the wood changes colour due to the influence of sunlight. 

Jan 

Amateur,

I’ve been using Alaskan Yellow cedar in ship building for 20 years. It’s one of my favorite woods. It does tend to slightly change color as it ages into a warmer yellowish color. I use Tung Oil and keep the models out of daylight. 

Below is a ship built 20 years ago that I haven’t finished yet and has been stored away in a box all those years with no light. As you can see, the tone of the wood is still very yellow, but it has aged a bit and slightly darker.  But not too much. 😀

B1812A14-C91B-4C50-8265-9C82B4C30762.thumb.jpeg.a5deca51cbcfc097f717c0261fffd26e.jpeg405652EA-A7D3-4904-920D-BDCE71087806.thumb.jpeg.43e64edfa670bfe328aa8de02916d1ce.jpeg938438A7-804E-4502-A74A-EFB7D70BA077.thumb.jpeg.176e75ae92c3d40fa909db0da445ab62.jpeg

Edited by Dowmer

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Downer,

It doesn't bleach out in light then some other woods?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chuck,

You have a good eye, your fairing is spot on!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Dowmer,

It doesn't bleach out in light then some other woods?  

Mark,

I keep my models out of sunlight. But I assume it would bleach to some extent if exposed like any other wood. Like Chuck said, it really is a wonderful wood to work with. 

Edited by Dowmer

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

15 hours ago, Dowmer said:

Mark,

I keep my models out of sunlight. But I assume it would bleach to some extent if exposed like any other wood. Like Chuck said, it really is a wonderful wood to work with. 

Thanks for the feedback.   I'm starting to use it and it really is wonderful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

I finished planking the other side up to the sheer.  With that completed, I would really like to add the second layer of the wales and the black strake.  BUT...it just makes sense to add a few strakes below the first layer of wales first.  

To do this, we will need to make a drop plank at the bow.  The drop plank essentially takes two strakes at mid ship and reduces them down to one strake as it enters the rabbet at the bow.  I really good example of this is shown below on this contemporary model.

drop plank swan.jpeg

A very similar drop plank was used on the Cheerful model as well.  They are not that difficult to lay out and make.  But having said this, I noticed that a few people building the Cheerful had some trouble making theirs.  So to make that easier this time around,  I laser cut the drop planks.  Of course this may need tweaking to fit on other models of the Winnie. It will be almost certain that the planks above it will be added slightly different on everyone's model.  But it should be very close.  At the very least, it could be used as a template and new one cut to fit your model.

droplank.jpg

You will notice another small tool in that photo above.  Its two 1/4" wide planks glued together.  This will be used as a gauge to mark the two strakes aft of the drop plank.  Basically you should mark every bulkhead starting with bulkhead "Q" and work your way aft.  Those bulkheads ahead of "Q" will have planks slightly narrower and tapered.

droplank2.jpg

Then I took the "tail" of the drop plank which will end on bulkhead "Q" and did a dry fit.  I wanted to make sure a 1/4" plank would fit between the drop plank and wales....the "tail" of the drop plank is on the top in the photo below......then I checked to see if the plank fit and matched my tick marks.

droplank1.jpg

The drop plank was glued into position.  I made sure that the "tail" ended where my tick marks indicated.  Then I continued planking the two strakes and worked my way aft.  Now I can finally add the second layer of wales and the black strake.  That will be done next and after painting the wales this model should actually start looking like something recognizable as a frigate.

droplank3.jpg

Heres an overall view of the hull.....it will look much different once those wales are completed and painted.

droplank4.jpg

Once again heres that contemporary model.....note how the wales are black and the black strake is left natural.  This is what I will be shooting for.  

drop plank swan.jpeg