HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

30 minutes ago, Chuck said:

The contemporary model is the original primary source for the carvings.   It was a very important model and made at the time the original ship existed.  So there is absolutely no reason to believe they are an accurate representation of what actually appeared.  You cant get better than that.  To use anything else would be far more speculative and unlikely.  I would absolutely encourage you to start your own build log so any questions you might have would be asked there.   It would also be better for the group to see your progress.  Join the group....dont be shy.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck, and will do on the log!

Hi Wxchsr! I’m new to the group as well and also highly recommend a build log. The group here is so friendly and helpful. Any questions I’ve had to date have been quickly answered by Chuck and or other members that are further along in their builds. Never too late to join the party! Glad you’re here.

Best,

Jim

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

I agree. Having a build log gives you both the chance to share and ask the inevitable questions that will come up and to get encouragement for others.  There is every level of experience and expertise, there is no judgement, only help and and camaraderie. Join the fun and enjoy your build. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

6 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I agree. Having a build log gives you both the chance to share and ask the inevitable questions that will come up and to get encouragement for others.  There is every level of experience and expertise, there is no judgement, only help and and camaraderie. Join the fun and enjoy your build. 

Thanks to all three of your responses!  I will do that!  This is my third build, but haven't done one in probably 25-30 years.  First was a plank on carved hull (loosely based on the HMS Challenger).  Second was a plank on frame.  I don't have either anymore (one was destroyed in a fall and the other was a gift).  I'm not looking for perfect, rather just to have fun with the build and maybe show some things to the kids and have them help to their level of comfort.  So far I have the bulkheads, knee and keel done or in progress, so I'll have to grab some pictures before any next steps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just curious as to why?

IMG_2221.thumb.jpeg.d4aff1e80ec039d04c3f6abc68510726.jpeg

The two fore riding bits are so much larger and more ‘beefy’ than the main mast bits  on Winchelsea. 
IMG_2222.thumb.jpeg.55267645359fc25df6dd6d83dc47b69a.jpeg

Were they used differently or have a different purpose?  Just curious. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

If I may, and Chuck will correct me if I'm wrong,  The bits closest to the fore mast are for handling rigging, the riding bits, just aft, are for handling the anchor cables.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 1 month later...

Hi Chuck, one question: Did you make the Winchelsea display-stand parallel to the waterline or parallel to the keel? 
The Amazon display is obviously made parallel to the waterline, the bow column is longer than the one at the stern.
Thanks Matthias

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 1:42 AM, Chuck said:

You want to make another one!!!!   🤣  LOL

Truth be told....I almost chose Minerva instead.   But Winnie won out because of the wealth of primary source info.

By the way....the Minerva is also another 5th rate with just 3 lids aft and just one up at the bow.  Look closely at that forward lid.....note how the lid curves like the bow.   You need to pre-bend those little pieces before you make the lid.  Although not that much as I suspect that lid is curved even more due to age and warp.

Minerva model # 55 006.jpgMinerva model # 55 141.jpgModel No. 55 Broadside from Off Starboard Bow 300dpi-1.jpg

minerva3.JPG

Hi all. I have a question regarding wood on this model, last two pictures. What wood was used to get that nice warm yellow orange color. I am soon starting HMS agamemnon build from caldercraft but would like to have yellow parts not painted. Fell free to give me advice on what combination of wood to use. I would like to get nice details and sharp edges on smaller parts so i guess hardwood is the right choice. But what wood to use for planking hull that maches hardwood in color. Also what are the alternatives to hardwood. Thank you in advance

Its all mainly Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  Real premium stuff however which is clear A grade with little to no grain visible. 

in Europe it can be sourced at Hobbymill.eu.  Great place to get wood.  They have AYC and other woods.  

In the US it is available at ModelersSawmill.com

7 hours ago, Blacky said:

It is hard to get that material in europe. And all i ordered from you, was soo expensive in the end cos of shipment and taxes. Almost two times your prices. I need to find alternative wood type. I can afford smaller parts and some ropes but not wood for whole model. 

In Europe the first choice for builing models is pear wood. There are some compnies in the markt to buy the timber.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali