Wilhelmina VII KW140 by kees de mol - Herringlugger 1914 - Scale 1/25

The deck framing looks really good, Kees. It is starting to come together. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Looking great Kees.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Weer heel wat werk verzet aan de logger. De goot voor afvoer van buiswater is helemaal klaar en hierna ben ik alle staanders gaan inmeten en maken voor tegen de verschansing. Deze blijven nog losneembaar zodat ik ze straks los van de romp kan spuiten . Hierna ben ik begonnen aan de lastige klus van het potdeksel, maar dat ging gelukkig wel heel goed.

Translation kindly provided by Cog :D

Quite a lot of work done. The scuppers are finished, and after that I started measuring the braces for the bulwarks. These will remain removable for the time being, so I can spray them seperately from, the hull. After that I started on the "potdeksel" (don't know what it means in Dutch, let alone in English ... it is some kind of lid ...) which went well.

41243965505_cde853b0e1_c.jpg

41379867145_fe2222b67b_c.jpg

42345944642_0e7e4ed664_c.jpg

28522210378_6d9c66b1cd_c.jpg

41558742425_4e20ac4eaa_c.jpg

42461387921_24bf5a91b9_c.jpg

Ook een nieuwe lijmmethode gebruikt waar ik erg tevreden mee ben

28522204528_48c4936c3d_c.jpg

27525109987_2021a01260_c.jpg

Edited by kees de mol
double pictures

Weer heel wat werk verzet aan de logger. De goot voor afvoer van buiswater is helemaal klaar en hierna ben ik alle staanders gaan inmeten en maken voor tegen de verschansing. Deze blijven nog losneembaar zodat ik ze straks los van de romp kan spuiten . Hierna ben ik begonnen aan de lastige klus van het potdeksel, maar dat ging gelukkig wel heel goed.

Translation:

Quite a lot of work done. The scuppers are finished, and after that I started measuring the braces for the bulwarks. These will remain removable for the time being, so I can spray them seperately from, the hull. After that I started on the "potdeksel" (don't know what it means in Dutch, let alone in English ... it is some kind of lid ...) which went well.

Ook een nieuwe lijmmethode gebruikt waar ik erg tevreden mee ben

Used a new glue method, which rather satisfied me

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Looking good, Kees 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

In between as distraction I have made two figures for the herringlugger. As an example I used a photo from a book about sailing luggers. The figures come from a Tamiya-kit of truckers that I have re-build. The clothing is made with Milliput Putty fine. The male with the southwester will be sitting on a barrel.

41935340034_18dee3d1c4_c.jpg

41753147045_c67c365e55_c.jpg

40845146290_6f127c73bd_c.jpg

42602675912_5c3035a804_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

catching up on your progress Kees......nice job with the bulwark partitions  ;)    deck framing looks super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice progress Kees and some nice sculpting.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

I made the blocks on the bow for lowering the mast while the crew shoots the gilnets.

28472304297_745ff898b5_c.jpg

28472308477_2e0e616e78_c.jpg

29471168708_a904723c61_c.jpg

28472318957_1ef331acdb_c.jpg

I bought a metal-black set to blacken the brass. I really like the finish
29471180098_076c237102_c.jpg

And some openings for lines

43335499762_2bb541d790_c.jpg

29514350988_32142f8e16_c.jpg

43387656631_8c7221c3e7_c.jpg

41579399710_6f242ff5f1_c.jpg

And the crew in a coat of primer
28472192857_e6f5cc29fc_c.jpg

Looking good, Kees, the brass work is gorgeous. I also like the figures you will be adding. Makes the boat come alive. 

Marcus 

• 1 month later...

catching up my friend..........I see your moving along at a fairly good pace.   nice job on the figures.......and the beginnings of your brass work looks awesome!   really nice to see  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

New progress on the herringlugger. I started to finish the outside of the hull with thousands of 'fake' rivets. For these rivets I used some glue or paint for clothes. I also gave the hull a solid layer of primer to seal the rivets. In reality the ship would have more, much more rivets but I keep it this way. Iam afraid more rivets will do more harm then good. Now I have the idea off a riveted hull without turning it into a hedgehog or something.

I am also starting to sealize that this ship take much more time than the smaller models that i built earlier. It seems like evything takes twice as much time. But fortunately the challenge remains great and I enjoy the building of the model and the thinking out of everything.

Thanks for watching, commenting and hitting the like button.

(Updates will take a bit longer in the future. After working as a volunteer now since January with elderly people with dementia, I got a job as a student nurse at a big healthcare organization. This after more than six years of being not capable of working because of my bad health. The training will start in february. I thank  my wife, my friends and God (and offcoarse the elderly people for stealing my heart😍) for these opportunities after so long being sick)

30688735978_38947dd897_c.jpg

43840874474_c5f8971aa1_c.jpg

42750297430_0e4cc2d6c2_c.jpg

44559165741_93b88c9c3f_c.jpg

42750304360_d02eef0e4f_c.jpg

29620935237_3a032dacdb_c.jpg

30688755258_e32da1ac2d_c.jpg

43649622615_dc917160aa_c.jpg

29620943397_d4687813c3_c.jpg

Beautiful work on the hull and rivets.  And congratulations on the new job opportunity.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent work on the rivets

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Marvellous. Great attention to detail. 

May I ask what paints you are using, are you using some sort of levelling thinner as well?

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

10 hours ago, Richmond said:

Marvellous. Great attention to detail. 

May I ask what paints you are using, are you using some sort of levelling thinner as well?

This primer is a spraycan paint from Motip. After this I will use an airbrush with compressor and Vallejo-paint to finish in the right colours.

Cheers

43840867674_03d7f20acd_c.jpg

Kees, 

Congrats on the new job. The rivetting looks good. Your attention to all the details is amazing. 

Marcus