Wilhelmina VII KW140 by kees de mol - Herringlugger 1914 - Scale 1/25

really cool what you did to the hull....the rivets make for some really great detail.  looks great primed over :)   good news on the new job ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...

Really great looking riveting job Kees. That's one of the reasons I have tinnitus - driving and bucking too many rivets.

Congrats with your new position, that's very rewording work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 months later...

Hi Kees,

beautiful, the fake riveting, and I also like the 3 figures you turned into the fishing crew...:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 months later...

Kees, 

You are back. Beautiful job on the deck. I like how the planks are different shades of brown which looks more realistic. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Update: I made openings in the deck for the hatches. The small hatches are for the herringbarrels which are stored in the fishhold. The bigger hatches are for the netstorage

20180921_163138-800x600.jpg

20180921_165905-800x600.jpg

20180921_194618-800x600.jpg

20181002_194817-800x600.jpg

20181002_204505-800x600.jpg

20181005_150018-800x600.jpg

20181005_161936-800x600.jpg

20181005_173858-800x600.jpg

20181005_195956-800x600.jpg

20181005_203843-800x600.jpg

Nice deck planking work Kees...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for welcoming me back and for the kind response to my work on the deck. 

@Jan: The red is the basecoat and the hull will be painted black later. The inside of the the railing (Bulwark) stays red and offcoars the part of the hull beneath the waterline.

Kees

I started building the different hatches. First I cut out the base in the wooden deck an after that I build the border and the hatch. When ready  will place the border and the hatch in the wooden deck.

20190223_124849-800x600.jpg

20190226_205900-800x600.jpg

20190226_205922-800x600.jpg

20190325_123638-800x600.jpg

20190410_204910-800x600.jpg

20190410_205206-800x600.jpg

20190410_205330-800x600.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words and all the likes and views. I really enjoy building this fishingship but I have neglected to post more often. Now I have settled in my new job and education I hope to post more regularly.

Kees, very nice!! Question: the copper wire is that 1mm? where do you purchase that in NL?

I do find 0,5 but I also need 1mm and can't find it. (Maybe not looking hard enough....)

rgds Hans

I got my wire (granted it’s annealed steel), from a Habitat For Humanity ReStore thrift store.  I think I paid $2-$3 for two different sizes in spools.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Extremely nice work on this model Kees.  Very interesting build methods producing great results and your Milliput figures are true art.  I have read through your other build logs and admire your styrene work and weathering techniques.  I look forward to future updates and watching this build progress.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 7/1/2019 at 1:03 PM, YankeeD said:

Kees, very nice!! Question: the copper wire is that 1mm? where do you purchase that in NL?

I do find 0,5 but I also need 1mm and can't find it. (Maybe not looking hard enough....)

rgds Hans

The wire in the picture is more like 0.4 or 0.3mm but I will have a look for you. Maybe I can find some 1mm wire. I do know there is 1mm brass rodd for sale in hobbystores but thats very stiff rod. 

You might try annealing the brass.  That should soften it.  It will work harden as you bend it so the annealing will probably need to be repeated.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work on the deck and hatches Kees.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

haha, I am in the electronics business.... But no 1mm solid core copper. The main there is either stranded wire or solid core but then 1mm2 or up.

So As said I do have the 0.4 and 0.5 but 1mm seems hard to find. And some times you find 1mm brass but as said above that tends to be quite stiff.

Well we keep looking.

Thanks for all teh help/answers.  Hans