Chebec Eagle of Algier 1753 (short EOA) by Mirabell61 - 1:48 - Nils Langemann - Finished

Many thanks also to my fellow builders

Grant, Kees, Ken, Steve (Steamschooner),  and Moxis,

for your kind compliments for the Chebec model.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

4 hours ago, Moxis said:

Others have already said everything about this magnificant project so that I just cannot say anything more but only agree those words.

I think I know exactly your feelings now, on the other hand very satisfied to have the project finished, but on the other hand a bit empty feeling trying to decide what to build next. At least I have that kind of feelings at present.

Hi Moxis,

yes, I see you really sensed the feeling one has when the model is complete.

For the Chebec I still have to build the glass case, but quite a problem remains the fact, that I have`nt an adequate place where to display it in the moment. If I set it up in my hobby room, I would have to move at least one of the other six glass cases first, but also would`nt know where in the house to put that then instead....

My wife, Marianne, suggests that I better stop building model ships for quite some time.... ( not a good idea I think...)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hello Patrick,

thank you very much for your nice words..., am pleased you like it..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils. You have exactly same problem than me, I really don't know where to put the Maaninka model now that it is completed. I have in my hobby room a T-26 tank, Unimog, Bugatti and few other quite large things, so soon there is no empty table any more to build models. My wife has suggested me the same as yours: not to build any more models. But I don't think I will obey her. On the contrary, we have today discussed with a couple of my friends to start to build not only one but three steam engine powered boats. We will see how this idea is progressing, me particularly would be very enthusiastic to start building my first steam engine.

Hi Moxis,

a self made steam engine including a self made gas-fired boiler, that would be a thrill, and if possible fit all into a suitable boat with RC control. That will keep your designer`s  mind busy for several weeks and months for planing and making, and your fellow builders at MSW shall be eagerly waiting to share your progress steps, once its kicked off......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Like everyone else I am very impressed with your Chebec.  Truly fine artistry.

Give yourself a pat on the back and relax with your favorite beverage.

Congratulations!

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Many thanks Dan,

am zipping a cool beer already...

Guess your "Michelangelo" is on the end-straight also...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Congratulations, dear Nils. Your model is a great masterpiece and inspiration.I do enjoy all the pics and must say, that your Chebec is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. 
I am looking forward to your next projects.

Best regards,
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Doris,

thank you so much, such nice compliment from a masterbuilder as you are, really mean something to me, and give me good feeling. Unfortunately, as I mentioned to Moxis already, I`m out of display space in my home, so it may take some time before I can start a further project. On my list would favourably be a Chinese "Hainan trading Junk"

Best regards.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Bob,

I`m so happy to receive your kind compliment, it is very much appreciated, and I`m pleased you like the Chebec....

Regards,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Christos and Igor,

for your nice words....

Christos,

yes, Its not easy to control a bunch of outlaws, they have their own minds....

Igor,

thanks for your nice congrats, much appreciated...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Nils on completing such a fine model, wonderful sailwork.  You have a true artists eye to have everything come together in such a way, well done indeed.  Looking forward to next project!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Many thanks for your nice words Jason,

much appreciated....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A true masterpiece Nils, your skill and eye for detail always amaze me. I hope you solve the problem with room in your house as I look forward to following your next build. Until then take care.

Thank you very much Don,

it is a bit a lonely feeling without a  new project in the pipe, and since the knockout in the world soccer championship yesterday in Russia, also a bit sad, but thats how life goes....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

are your display cases stackable?........would truly be sad to see you stop modeling.  I saw your Chebec in the gallery............your addition to the model enhances it even more  :) 

....there's always the Cux  ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor
suggestion...nudge, nudge, wink, wink

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis,

no, the cases are`nt stackable, Im very pleased you like the model.....

The "Cux" is drying out between the hull planking already, there are some cracks visible, but somehow I just do`nt find the right drive to finish that Billing Boat model (it was one of my first ones, next to "Marie Jeanne" and "Bluenose")...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 3 months later...

Ahoy Nils -- So, you've completed another masterpiece -- Bravo!  I seriously think you should consider following Blue Ensign's strategy for dealing with a crowded display area:  build a new wing to your house!  :P  Seriously, if you stopped building MSW would lose one of its major contributors!

New project!  New project!!!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin,

thank you so much for your kind words, they are very much appreciated....

I have been doing some necessary repairs and sanding and paint freshups around house and garden lately and there are still some things to be done before the cold and wet period sets in. The glass casing for the chebec has not been started yet, but is one of the to-does on my list.

To overcome the rather boring time without a new shipmodel on the slipway, I have reactivated my ( for PC ) Microsoft Flight Simulator and have discovered some beautiful regions to explore in the world, but not only that, I have as well also tried out a wonderful train simulator to explore the main- and narrow gauge lines of New Zealand recently....

Cheers,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Congratulations on the completion of a fine model, Nils.  Love the people.

What's next?

Ed

Edited by EdT

Many thanks Ed,

as already mentioned, the shipmodel making will run idle for some time, as I have to find a suitable place to display the Chebec in our home .......

The next project will most probably be  the seagoing "Hainan Djunk" in scale 1:30....., as my mind is going "pregnant" with that one for some time already

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

....just looked it up...........quite a subject to undertake  ;)     should be one pretty ship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for your word Denis,

and for looking in.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Today I started building the Chebecs casing....

it will be a bit larger than usual (width) due to the sticking out oars on stb. side, and the ships boat on the port side.

The display place will be swapped with that of the Gorch fock, momentarily in my hobby room, which I will place upstairs instead. I have foreseen an old cast iron foot base of a former heritage sewing machine for Gorch Fock`s new stand-on support...., will have to exchange the glass plate against a sturdy wooden base for safety reasons...

Nils

DSCI6866.thumb.JPG.449bd889ce8170e4e2fbe9a4c28def6b.JPG

cutting the edge pieces of the baseplate

DSCI6865.thumb.JPG.010b7f459efadbf881186ec53a57f860.JPG

DSCI6868.thumb.JPG.a4d4115728e35d5d2b23550b03f692fc.JPG

only little (minimum) clearance to the stb. glass side. Will apply cherry wood stain afterwards, like my other casings have

DSCI6870.thumb.JPG.263305bea2494b34943c10ae29160705.JPG

and to the port oar of the boat

DSCI6871.thumb.JPG.f1268cd444111cb3248b72f06663d2ed.JPG

This will be the new stand support for the "Gorch Fock" model`s glasscase. Need to exchange the glass plate against a  1200 mm long wooden plate in adequate thickness

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I hope the eggs will stay!

Nice work on the base, Nils.  cutting that molding can be tricky, even with the miter saw.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks for looking in Martin,

cutting the 45° angles of that molding works well, if the piece is pressed and held firmly in the corner of the miter guide surfaces

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed