Chebec Eagle of Algier 1753 (short EOA) by Mirabell61 - 1:48 - Nils Langemann - Finished

Thank you Bob and Antony,

for your kind comments, much appreciated....

Bob,

its not so far more to go now...

Antony,

the rigging is a bit strange with these chebec ships, but its fun to see the progress. I can now use some odd rope-lines I still had from my "Pegasus" project....

Nils

also many thanks to all the "likes" for clicking the thumb up button

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Update...

started with the making of the mighty main yard. I measured several times in order to get the correct length but it is really about 2/3 of the total ship length !

I still had some of the bamboo flower sticks in sufficiant length and diameter for making the two-spar lashed yard. For tapering the spars I used the slotted side of a scrap floor pannel plank, a small hand drilling machine in the left hand, and an electric belt file in the right hand. The result was very pleasing to see, and the bamboo material easily allows to buid in a slight curve of the lashed yard. Those lateen sails will be quite large later on...

For making the parral coller I used some etched brass ribs I still had from my Pegasus build, and fashion beads for the trucks. The lines of the main fall go under the parral collar, and the fastening toggle for the main  yard is just beneath the parral. A Trus pedant line comes from the one paral collar end and goes through a thimble at the other end. This line holds the yard close to the mast, especialy after bracing the yard, when wind from afterly directions.....

The angle of the yard is set with the two "top lifts" that come from deck and over the mast top...

Nils

DSCI6443.thumb.JPG.9e7025febe94e20a49c4b2a82fc3f6c2.JPG

DSCI6447.thumb.JPG.0d0f91bc253113d81c31be4c07084b46.JPG

DSCI6449.thumb.JPG.57468772fd1aff34e409f3e8f762fead.JPG

DSCI6452.thumb.JPG.a80787b2f20b8e80243852d77542e93f.JPG

DSCI6455.thumb.JPG.d0b1f71c86d9432652642a5c3fbda954.JPG

DSCI6456.thumb.JPG.23c689cf90d61d2577a8671fec90c933.JPG

DSCI6459.thumb.JPG.2abb26361e2d4e68b558bd9ae0118fa8.JPG

DSCI6461.thumb.JPG.c4c24bf3445663f306424786d6059f1f.JPG

DSCI6462.thumb.JPG.344c3a9b54d742bc0fb679976c308006.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

thank you very much Jeff,

I`m pleased you like it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils. The spar tapering technique is interesting - bit like the technique of a two gun gunslinger from a 1950's western. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi keith,

the comparison with a two hand gunslinger is not too bad...., in lack of a third hand the spar is kept down in track (slot) by means of a clamp. I never used this methode before, its so easy to do with spars, masts, etc.... I did produce the sweeps this way as well..

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Status update...

all three masts and yards are rigged now, time to have some overall shots for the progress of Eagle of Algier...,

and make some thoughts about the sails and their rigging

Nils

DSCI6473.thumb.JPG.38115ba419bf424ab0f19eec1058cee8.JPG

DSCI6475.thumb.JPG.640a2798aec0fdb855f17bdcc60d3549.JPG

DSCI6481.thumb.JPG.d21801c0c2281818d953828e79c775e9.JPG

note : the main yard is attached to the mainmast stb. side, the foremast yard and the mizzen yard are attached to the port sides of the appropriate masts....

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

interesting how the yards alternate like that....must have a lot to do with how they are handled to capture the wind.  very nice progress since I last looked in......really long yards!  :)   such a superb job on the rigging....impressive!

note on past post!   jog should have been spelt jig Nils........I have trouble with the keys sometimes {chubby fingers} ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you very much for your nice words Christos and Denis,

much appreciated....

Also many thanks to all the "likes"...

Christos,

for the sails in general I shall follow the technique I used for sewing my "Pegasus`s " sails...

Denis,

no, I did`nt use special jigs for doing the pulleys. I simply pinned the loop of the upper and the lower block down on a flat piece of wood in order to prevent the "rope" end flat avoiding too much twist in the line, and to keep the overview of the lines directions, especially with the two sheave- and the violin blocks....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Stunning!!!!!!!!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thank you very much JesseLee,

I`m pleased you like my Chebec..., stay tuned..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Christos,

I have`nt made up my mind yet for considering the sail setting / resp. wind direction, but the running rigging shall allow later to set all to optimal conditions. Perhaps even a large sail could be slightly furled towards the yard.... Should the sail require a slight  "bulbed" shape, I may perhaps build a thin and shaped stainless steel wire into the bottom bolt ropes for appropriate curvature.

For conditioning the cotton fibre cloth I usualy apply normal laundry spray-stiffener (like my wife uses for ironing shirts, etc.). that will be done before the sewing pattern is brought to the cloth by means of soft pencil-lines....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

What a beautiful boat!  And it is the scale you wanted.

You were able to meet every challenge with impressive results.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

thank you Nils for the interesting infos about the sails. Isnt "normal laundry spray-stiffener" a little weak to give a stiff blowed sail?

Anyway.... am following your every step 😎. Anxius to see this masterpiece till the very end.

Edited by MESSIS

Hi Christos,

the use of laundry starch at the early stage of sail making is mainly to keep the cotton cloth flat and without any wrinkles, when drawing the sewing pattern. After starching I iron the cloth dry and It gets a little stiffness which is welcome, but it soon is fading during the sewing action. You are right there.

The blown sail effect (if wished) is brought in with a wire in the bottom bolt rope, like I did for "Gorch Fock" and for "Pamir" hard braced at the wind....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

hi Nils,

Yes the wire is a very good method. Clean & dry and 100%  reliable. Still am thinking to try GAC400 on Hermiones sails. I have got the impression (out of discissions with friends here)  that this way maybe I will succeed a more realistic result... more wind into the sails impression.

I sm planning to make some expiriments.

wish a pleasant weekend

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

Hi Christos,

6 crew members are already placed under deck (for reasons of access), at an early fitting out stage, the main bunch of population comes on, when the running rigging and the sails are mounted.

Perhaps there will be be additionaly a 5-6 person rowing comando in the pinnace when they are just leaving the ships side, heading for the shore. This depends on, if I am able to set the pinass at the same waterline as the ship, and  still have it within the glas casing afterwards. I have an idea....we shall see...

Nils

DSCI5940.thumb.JPG.68c5016ddc4d3907c6bf17a51b71c8e5.JPG

one in the aft ship...

DSCI5943.thumb.JPG.79284d1a1516b334ccffdf0eba8abe94.JPG

four at the table and one handling a barrel

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very elegant Nils. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Many thanks Piet,

for your appreciation...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update....

I decided to place the  pinnace, occupied with some crew members outside and next to the ship. This provides a bit more action and makes the project live.....

The pinnace and its holding support can be removed from the stand-plate at any time. Waterline of pinnace and chebec are corresponding

Nils

DSCI6488.thumb.JPG.00f7f73a1eb80b7bf83db67f8dfb76e5.JPG

these guys will row to the nearby shore and visit the Taverna in the harbour

DSCI6501.thumb.JPG.b968711af5df3dd2d7a719308569ff7b.JPG

rowing arrangement for "staggered" mode

DSCI6508.thumb.JPG.617633ee6d5124fff1132170f490bd34.JPG

4 oars will do....

DSCI6512.thumb.JPG.b1b075f4c6bd8d54eeb9f4b0322f4074.JPG

departing from the ship...

DSCI6515.thumb.JPG.342a2def02dbf29b2765775849d4e4ff.JPG

DSCI6515.JPG

DSCI6515.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

oops,

the last pic was tripple, who knows please how I can eliminate two of them  ?

Thanks in advance...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

1 hour ago, Mirabell61 said:

Many thanks Piet,

for your appreciation...

Nils

Just recognized, its your birthday today......

wish you all the best, enjoy your special day, and have a happy day with family, and freinds ....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

‘Marvellous’ is the word that comes to mind when I look at your pinnacle and it’s crew.  I know that I’ve said it before, but I reckon you’re having way too much fun with this build🙂🙂🙂!

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thank you very much Patrick,

the ideas come along as the build progresses, sometimes even ahead, and you`re right its fun to work on solutions for ideas,..... my luck, hardly something went to the bin and so there is no frustration coming on, but I guess you are experiencing the same, for example with your "Shadow" (an endless chain of fun with realized ideas)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Christos,

one of the men stays at the beach and looks after the pinnace. He stays sober hopefully and is equiped with a can of frech squeezed orange juice.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed