Chebec Eagle of Algier 1753 (short EOA) by Mirabell61 - 1:48 - Nils Langemann - Finished

On 13.4.2018 at 4:18 AM, KenW said:

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you for your kind and appreciative comment Dave,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

On 13.4.2018 at 4:18 AM, KenW said:

What a beautiful boat!  And it is the scale you wanted.

You were able to meet every challenge with impressive results.

Cheers.

Hi Ken,

thank you for looking in and for your kind words, much appreciated...

I`m pleased you like it...

The scale 1:48 is the maximum for a chebec model I can deal with length wise, and also the hight is at the limit, due to the extention of those large yards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

update,

made the brackets that take up the 9 sweeps of the port side (on the port outside of the QD)...

Nils

DSCI6525.thumb.JPG.c9c40b15245534655ee1a7ce3278c2dd.JPG

DSCI6532.thumb.JPG.4d6c584078a6a3ccd0cf5b55fd6dfd96.JPG

DSCI6528.thumb.JPG.788ae74bff492e052fed8cd9c8fe5308.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

pinnacle looks like a model in itself!  awesome progress Nils.....looking super  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Denis,

yes, I`m also quite pleased with the result of fixing the pinnace on the "watersurface" outboards, and the little figures, I found on Ebay, in scale 1:48 undergo a little bit of plastic surgery and painting. ( at least one arm at the oars) .The tricorn hats are also self made....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils -

A beautiful rendition of an unusual subject.  Bravo.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan,

thank you very much for your nice comment, much appreciated,  I`m pleased that you like the chebec as she is....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hot diggidy dog Nils, she's looking awesome with all fancy scroll work.  The sweeps on the outside, saves space inboard where it's sorely needed, smart folks.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet,

thanks for your kind comment...

For the port side I´ll have the sweeps here as they are shown, and on the stb. side I`m intending to have them through the oar-ports. Together with the pinnace next to the ship on port bow, and the outsticking sweeps on the other, the glass case (later on ) will have to be wider than usual....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Niles, catching up on your progress can't believe how you accomplish so much so quickly!  The rigging on this ship is fascinating a makes a nice change from the usual 19th century warships.  Beautiful and innovative work as usual, love the details you've put on.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks very much for looking in Jason,

and for your nice words......

Thank you also to all the "Likes"... for clicking in

here is a little update for the sprit / formast stay and the chain water-stay..., also making some mini shackles...

Nils

DSCI6538.thumb.JPG.b7d4e89323fb4101a2788b41b1d2dde7.JPG

the water stay is a brass chain with soldered links...

the small pulley with 2 single sheaved blockes spans the formast stay, and gives the chain water stay a slight tension when the sprit is minimal lifted

DSCI6540.thumb.JPG.c6028818987f24224fb66b6d15989b9f.JPG

DSCI6545.thumb.JPG.f32e0278111bf8616f8d5cbf3a988fc1.JPG

these are the small members I make the mini.shackles from.... (bend them into "omega shape" )

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful build Nils, I was wondering how you flatten the ends for the clevis pieces

Hi Don,

I did`nt flatten or drill these at all, they come like this ( via Ebay) for little costs, and they only need to be bent to shape....

I remember showing the making of "mini shackles" way back in my Gorch fock build log, using these.....

Nils

https://www.ebay.de/itm/20-Stk-Verbinder-Kettenglied-9mm-nickelfrei-H77-/120407595118?pt=Schmuckgestaltung&hash=item1c08da186e

If you type "Mini shackles" into the seach criteria box on the MSW home page you should find that passage there in two of my Gorch Fock posts....

post-3445-0-38756200-1394803543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Small update:

I forgot to add a little aid detail how the 7 headed crew could enter down to the pinnace from board. Here now is a flexible and removable short Jacob`s ladder over the port side....

Nils

DSCI6565.thumb.JPG.7a61193be9b0b2e6cd7d415e61dd8439.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks very much Patrick,

have a nice week...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Ferarr,

Thanks for your nice comment and for looking in...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

13 minutes ago, donrobinson said:

Thanks for the information Nils

You`re very welcome Don...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update :

started with sail preperation today....

got some water into a small tub and stirred 3 spoonful of liquid starch into the water. I still had some fine weaved cotton cloth, from Ikea left over from my Pegasus sails.

This was dipped into the tub and put on a bath towel for dripping off. After an hour the cloth was ironed dry and is ready for transfer of all pencil lines that will ease the sewing with my wife`s machine, and with the correct distances of the bale cloth edge lines.  I chose 18" wide cloth, (its 9mm in scale 1:48). Then the long reinforcement stripe which shall later on bear the many reff strips. The sewing of the sail, the corner patches and the machine sewing on of the bolt rope all around will be shown in one of the next posts...., I have to groove myself in again with the machine...

Nils

DSCI6581.thumb.JPG.f30f5a5bde7f38e12203dbdf377f3a99.JPG

DSCI6582.thumb.JPG.83cf48b4eaff27afd861c8558434433b.JPG

this is not showing the surplus cloth around the sail edges, that has to be considered when transfering the shape of the pattern to the cloth

DSCI6585.thumb.JPG.486c6992ea07e453b23f36be1068662d.JPG

the reinforcement stripe will be folded and sewed into the sail

DSCI6574.thumb.JPG.af3a47b3a6b3b593ca87ea4f632ed6d9.JPG

folding and priliminary trial with paper pattern.... (here folded)

DSCI6575.thumb.JPG.7438c0d8dd6da7e3c412d340f9efb961.JPG

here unfolded....

DSCI6578.thumb.JPG.baba650d12ecf6de7706ac37ae65cf50.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

interesting way to make sails.......looks very good  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm enjoying your work Nils, it's always a pleasure visiting with you.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Many thanks Denis and Piet,

in the moment its running a bit slower than usual, due to many things to be done for house and garden. Yesterday I changed the winterwheels of my car back to wheels with summer tyres, but I still hope to get the sails sewn this week....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great start Nils - so happy that you are adding sails, they make a model come alive in my opinion.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike,

many thanks,

I agree and share your opinion relating to the model "coming alive" better.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update:

after advisement for the machine use, here the first sail (cotton cloth) is under way and half done. I`m satisfied with the results so far...

Nils

DSCI6588.thumb.JPG.d80a5e78986f9693a52e2e00757eb020.JPG

the machine speed is controlled per foot pedal

DSCI6593.thumb.JPG.3dfa9c56ca5caa4c5f52a914dd03d9d7.JPG

Ronny is watching the strange things his master is doing here in the dining room....

DSCI6595.thumb.JPG.a1debaefb3b209ff259148b3f5156155.JPG

this is the folded diagonal reinforcement stripe I made an upfront trial for folding with paper first. This was one of the difficult sequences for me, but now the seams are in straight line. parallel, and it worked out as it should...

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great looking sail Nils!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra