Bluenose by JustBlowingInTheWind – Model Shipways – scale 1:64 - Canadian fishing Schooner

Where in the world have I been? I had a '69 LeMans that I sold and I gave a lift away creating a LOT more space in the man cave. Went through and sold or tossed tools I'll never use again, actually everything I could find.

I forget what it's called and where I got it but I'm sure one of y'all will know. Detailed instruction on the build. Comes with a disc with photo's. Lost it. I have the photo's, but not the book.

Well for the first time in the 11 years we've lived here, the wife can park in the garage. I was able to add an additional 6' bench and some shelving and I installed some 4' LED lights. NO heat! Almost as bright as my T5 HO's. Spent 2 weeks with the Grand daughter as we do every year. We always go to Arnold, Ca. and rent the same cabin. There's a road that is LONG and down hill and the last half mile is un-cared for. Lots of pot holes, dips, bumps, grooves... Our bikes have shock absorbers, but it's a rough ride. She says she's trying to get me killed. I'm saying, the only will I have is a living one. I fell off my bike twice getting on it. Wife led the way in the truck with the flashers on and brought us back to the top. We make the run 3 or 4 times a day.

We also go every year to see the Sequoia's and see the tree you could drive through. As man of you know she blew over this year. Can't even recognize it.

Next year we're going to Lake Shasta, Ca. and renting a house boat and jet ski's. She'll be 16 then and I'll be older. I'll post the first pics in a bit.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Gained more than 100 sq feet.

20170210_192145(0).jpg

20170210_192241.jpg

20170210_192254.jpg

20170913_144015.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

False keel put together and bearding line done.

20170914_141614.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Thanks for looking in, Tom. I've been waiting all summer to get at this bad boy.

In Dry Dock:

Nice solid start with the Bluenose, pulling up a chair and making myself "comfy"

Oh, btw where is Sjors with the popcorn?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Nice start! What is that vehicle in the picture?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

A '69 Lemans I was going to clone to a GTO. Ran out of money. Already had a 455 from a bonneville and added Edelbrock performance plus Cam, Carb and intake with the original '69 Ram Air manifolds. The valve covers were made one year only. Don't recall what year.

427332_4509835149768_1876903803_n.jpg

In Dry Dock:

How does on make sure the bulkheads are level. I know how to make the square to the hull, but not how to keep them level

In Dry Dock:

That was a dumb question, wasn't it? I have a small square.

In Dry Dock:

Brian, 

Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.....:P

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Worse, my square is not the only thing in my garage that's square.

In Dry Dock:

Okay, I'll upload pics tomorrow, but for now, I destroyed the keel again. Again you say? Yes, this is the 2nd I bought. I'll buy a third and a 5th, and whatever until I'm happy. In the mean time, I'll keep working on this one so I learn twice as I plank the hull.

In Dry Dock:

I'm going to blame it on my glasses. I can see either close or far, but not down the center. O and N are not level. I tried to carve and shim but that plywood crap is hard to cut. Guess my sailors will get whipped a lot for walking like they're drunk.

I also broke the top of the keel of amid ship. Looks like it's out of alignment.

Bulkheads.jpg

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

L is also out of allignment.

perhaps you shouldn't try to cut, but use a rasp or afile to get the deck in allignment, a file goes over a few frames at the same time, so you can see which one is too high (and has to be files down), and which one is too low(and has to be filled.

mind: when the problem is caused bu a centerslot that is not exactly square, you will have the same job to dowhen fairing the outside ot the frames.

Jan

I tried filing it but it doesn't take off squat. I just bought a 3rd bluenose.. I'll continue planking just to learn but I have a lot of fairing to do.

In Dry Dock:

Doesn't model shipways replace parts for free? Did you actually buy another kit, or did you just ask them for a replacement of the hull pieces?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I bought the ship. Doesn't seem fair that they should pay for my stupidity.

In Dry Dock:

Argh! Just got a message from amazon saying the order was cancelled because they're out of stock. But they took my money already.

So I did ask model expo if I could have the parts, but told them that I ruined them.

In Dry Dock:

The Bluenose is on backorder at ModelExpo.

Buying directly from them will avoid pitfalls like that. 

Price at ModelExpo 170 dollars.

Respectfully

Price was 150 and it said 2 in stock.

In Dry Dock:

Contacted model shipway's, they said they don't care why I need the parts, they'll send them to me.

So, I broke the keel at the bearding line. To make the line, I took a #11 x-acto and cut the bottom line, then using a curved blade (I don't know the number) and carved out the beard.

Any better ideas?

In Dry Dock:

Hi Brian, 

I'm thinking your asking about the bearding line/rabbet.

And believe me, I am no expert, somewhere on the site there's probably a better way!

I recently put a rabbet on my Niagara.

What I used was just a small flat wood chisel.

I used the angle of the sharp area, on the chisel, as my depth gauge, its probably no more than 1/16th. Went inch by inch just pushing the chisel straight into the glue line up to where the angle of the chisel blade goes straight.

Used the same chisel, now almost flat against the keel with the sharp end pointing down. Made tiny little cuts until I had taken out a small amount of wood at the glue line. 

To make the bearding line deeper, I just use 120 grit sandpaper thru 400 grit to get it where I like it. 

Its a bit time consuming but works for me.

A drink of choice helped the process!:cheers:

Tom E 

Admiral Nelsons Spiced Rum and root beer. Half the cost of Captain Morgans.

Thanks, I have some scrap wood that I can play with.

In Dry Dock:

Brian, I quickly learned that xacto blades weren't the answer.  I moved over to scalpels.  They have one that acts almost like a chisel but is sharp as anything,  I didn't have the scalpels when I did my bearding line but wish I did.  It was the first time I had to do the bearding line and it really wasn't as hard as I thought.  You need to be careful.  Don't go in there thinking you need to push like anything to get the wood cut.  Take your time, add a little pressure and let your blade do the work.  When you start to force the blade, mistakes then happen.

I have been enjoying your build and was silently hoping you would get ahead of me so I could see what to do next :)

Enjoy what you're doing.  It's not meant to be frustrating but I know it gets that way.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I don't get frustrated. I'm on my meds. Can you send me a link to what you're talking about?

And you don't want to try to "learn" anything from me. I do cars, not wood. I tend not to know my own strength and break things.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

What blade number do you use?

In Dry Dock:

So I already have chisels and Bought some scalpels. Time to practice.

In Dry Dock:

Lauck Street Shipyard made my practicum. Life time replacement.

In Dry Dock:

18 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

What blade number do you use?

I have No 25A Blades for my #4 Handle and No 9 Blades for my #3 Handle (All Swann Morton)

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild