Bluenose by Don Quixote – Model Shipways – scale 1:64 - Canadian fishing Schooner

I couldn't find a 25a but I found a 24 and 25 that look like sweet chisels.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Typo

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Amateur, You were of course right. Lots of wood filler. I call it bondo. Some sanding down but not too bad. I'm just going to play around with the planking, but I also have another problem I didn't catch. There are 2 blocks I used to square the bulkheads that extend too far down. I won't be able to planks the entire bottom 1/4 of the ship.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Dr., I didn't realize you were looking in. I'm honored.

For reasons unbeknownst to me I measured the bulkhead to the left to see what the maximum length was that I could get away with. I glued the broken keel back on but it's SO fragile. There's no way I can sand that down.

Fucked up big time..jpg

In Dry Dock:

In Dry Dock:

When we plank, we reduce the clinker effect by beveling an edge. Question is, top or bottom and does it ever switch?

In Dry Dock:

Brian, 

I have always beveled the bottom part of the plank.

As long you are consistent beveling bottom or top it shouldn't matter.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

In other words, start at top or bottom and keep it that way. Never switches?

Thanks!

In Dry Dock:

On 9/27/2017 at 5:15 PM, Worldway said:

I moved over to scalpels.

I have now! Never use an x-acto again, will I? Once that blade snaps in, it's not going anywhere. E-Xacto's always unscrew.

So where can I get some 25-a's? Can't find them on Amazon.

In Dry Dock:

First of all, the planks that come with the kit are long enough to cover the entire length of the ship. I don't want to do it that way. I want to stagger the planks. How does one go about planning the length needed? 15 bulkheads.

And I am one LUCKY ducky. Model-expo sent me 2 sets of keel and bulkheads. Since I already have 2 ships, and I bought better wood for the planking so I should have enough to practice on 2 hulls and use the good wood on the last that I'll complete.

In Dry Dock:

Brian, 

You must have been truly lucky regarding the planks. I think none of us (others) that built Bluenose had it. At least not me, so I had to go staggered no matter.

Nice of ME to send two sets of false keel and bulkhead.

Now you can build one as a racer, the other as a fishing vessel.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

So how does one plan the stagger?

In Dry Dock:

Brian

great to see you building this great boat

i just got to sail on Bluenose ll in Lunenburg.   amazing ride in 20 knot breeze

enjoy your build i look forward to following along

cheers

jon 

Thanks for looking in Jon. Is the bluenose II using the same hull design?

In Dry Dock:

Because the bulkheads are so far outta whack, the first plank could not follow correctly. That is now causing me to ever so slightly push up on the plank being installed. See the gap? At this rate I'm going to have a problem. I can either continue and hope the garboard plank fills it on, or I can let the plank lay naturally and fill the gap in with wood filler. Which would you do?

Also, I have a FEW planks staggered but towards the bow there's not much staggering.

planking 1.jpg

planking 3.jpg

planking 2.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Brian - I am confused. I thought you said your hull planks are long enough for the full length of the hull? If so why struggle and stagger the planks. You are going to paint the hull so it doesn't matter how the plank lay on the bulkheads. When I planked my Bluenose it was the easiest planking job I had ever done. Almost no tapering. Just a small amount of beveling. I would suggest take a hull plank and lay it along the bulkheads and see if they run true. I had to add small strips to fill gaps. I think the strips work better than putty and you can sand them to fit in nicely.

Are you simulating Caulking? Why don't your planks look like they are fitting more tightly?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hello, fnkershner.

First of all, this plank job is 100% practice. Using one planks means twisting this way AND that. I'd rather break it down to what *I* feel is a manageable plank. I've tried beveling the whole plank, then bending and twisting. For me it's not practical.

Like I said, the bulkheads are so screwed up that the very 1st plank didn't lay straight. Now I have the dip, or curve I mentioned in my last message.

In Dry Dock:

Okay, so I tossed the first attempt. This photo is from the 2nd hull. I still have one more keel and bulk heads after this one.

The bulk heads are only fit in for a dry run. I broke of the aft part of the keel. I think it'll be okay, it's right where bulk head N goes so the bulk heads should be sturdy. I have one biulk head that's warped. I put weight on it for 48 hours to no avail. Suggestions?

dry fit.jpg

long view dry run.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Brian,

Have you tried to wrap the bulkhead with a towel that has some light wetness and microwave then put the weight on top.

Just a thought..... 

How severe is the warp?

Respectfully

If I lay it down, there's about a 16th" rise in the center. I'll give that a try. Otherwise I was just going to soak it for a couple hours. I don't think it'll have any significance...

In Dry Dock:

Brian,

The way I understand this is that you have a bulkhead where the edges are 1/6th in fore or aft of the center depending on which way you mount this bulkhead. Personally, I would do nothing to the bulkhead except mount it in the center keel,  making sure that both edges of the bulkhead are the same distance from the bulkheads fore and aft. This will insure that this bulkhead will be square to the center keel. This 1/16 in discrepancy will disappear when you fair the hull.
It will be of no consequence and you won't have to worry yourself silly over this. We all have a tendency to  overthink some problems. It's only wood and just about everything can be fixed.

Regards

Me, over think? Thanks, Ca.Shipwright.

Me and wrenches? Great! Me and wood? Not so great.

In Dry Dock:

Brian

Bluenose ll was built using the same lines and design of Bluenose l. Going to their site you can find many images that will help. Once you get to the deck lot's of images help. 

Cheers

Jon

I have NO idea why the keel looks bent. It was perfectly flat before I started adding the bulkheads.

I put a spacer in between M and N. That's where I broke it and I just couldn't get it right. The spacer is pushing against bulkhead N to push it away and straighten the stem there. Actually works pretty good if you could have seen what it was like.

not crooked.jpg

straighten.jpg

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I plank a hull I end up bending planks laterally. I'm always pushing upwards to get the new planks to meat the previous. Probably not supposed to taper a planks like that. Can you see my stealer? I actually put it near the front of the ship for obvious reasons.

I have one more keel and bulkeads and I'm down to my good sticks for planking. That means I have 2 sides to get it right.

latterly.jpg

Stealer.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Brian, 

When I planked Bluenose I started the spiling  (minor, as it takes so little) on the eight plank. This resulted (for me) that all the planks ended up at the stem.

The only stealer I inserted was at the stern.

Take a step back, don't rush this stage.

You might want to re-do some of the planking.

Respectfully

What's spiling?

On the other side I didn't need the stealer at the stern where the practicum said I would. Tried to bust out the planks, but they're there for the long run.

What am I doing to cause that issue in the first place.

In Dry Dock:

On 11/1/2017 at 9:30 PM, Nirvana said:

on the eight plank

Do you remember where you stopped spiling?

In Dry Dock:

I know this is not supposed to be here, but I was touched by the act.

My neighbor got his metals today and I was the first person he showed. Had me pin them on his coat. He's been waiting 71 years. The same length he's been married.

Albert Vierra, 91. His LST 452 was the first to land on Leyte Beach.

Albert.jpg

metels.jpg

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

What's the difference between rope and line?

In Dry Dock:

3 minutes ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

What's the difference between rope and line?

I was wondering about that also.

Maybe it's like this: a line is a rope running from A to B. The rope is the tool, a line has a function.

I'm probably completely wrong though. :D

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."