Bluenose by Don Quixote – Model Shipways – scale 1:64 - Canadian fishing Schooner

Wow, it took a lot of searching.

A rope is unused, It's like me. it has no job. Once it has been employed and given a name based on it's function it becomes a line.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Wrong link.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

In Sailing Ships there is no such thing as Rope there is only Lines. Halyards are a specific type of line used for lifting. Sheets are another type of line used for sail trimming. Ropes are for land lubbers. Lines are for Rag baggers (Sailors).

Here is a brief list of the different types of lines you will find on a Sailboat: (I am sure there are more. I have never sailed a square rigger)

Halyards

Sheets

Topping Lifts

Down Hauls

Preventer

Stays

Shrouds

Pendants

(The last 4 above are Standing rigging and the others are running rigging)

Remember the pecking order on the water is:

- Rag Baggers (those who go to sea in craft propelled by wind)

- Stink Potters (those who go to sea in craft propelled by Noisy smelly machines)

- Landlubber (those who never go to sea - A fate worse than death)

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

5 minutes ago, fnkershner said:

A fate worse than death)

A line from Horatio Hornblower in book one.

My old Navy neighbor insisted that there was no such thin as a rope on a ship. Thus my question.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

I've decided I don't like Lauck's practicum by Bob Hunt. It's too simplified. I need to learn about strakes...etc. and he just shows the ship being planked.

In Dry Dock:

This only took several hours, but I'm real happy with my fairing job. Best I've ever done.

Fairing 1.jpg

Fairing 2.jpg

Fraiming 3.jpg

In Dry Dock:

I think I built my first model when I was 7. I'm sure I cut myself then. I think I cut myself at least once per model. Today I cut myself twice. At least in the old days it was an e-acto. This time it was with a scalpel.

In Dry Dock:

The fairing looks great. 

I'm using scalpels as well and am waiting for the day I slice myself. If I think there is a possibility of slipping I will put on a pair of Kevlar gloves.  I also wear safety glasses as 2 or 3 times now I have put too much pressure on the blade and it snapped, flying up in the air.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, Derek. And thanks for the warning. I snapped one too, but I was pointing down at the time.

In Dry Dock:

I believe Christening with blood is a requirement to bring your work to life. On my Syren build I have successfully sanded the tip of my finger off with a power sander and stabbed my palm with a #11 Xacto knife. It only makes you appreciate the model even more. 

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

4 hours ago, fnkershner said:

bring your work to life

Yeah, I got a bloody mess all over the keel and bulkheads. Took 3 hours to stop the bleeding.

In Dry Dock:

How do y'all get text between photo's?

I like the filler block. Hope it works. Thanks to following Nirvana's log, I installed the elusive great beam. Cutting the bulkheads (stantions?) is how I cut myself. I switched to a saw I have. Finest blade I've seen. I could only draw the saw toward me, not push it back away.

Filler block.jpg

Great beam.jpg

Great beam2.jpg

Those are how I cut myself..jpg

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

Better views.

Filler side 1.jpg

Filler side 2.jpg

In Dry Dock:

1st, I want to add a bend to the outer water way. 2nd, the first planks in and 3rd I don't like my filler block as much as I thought I did. Too sharp of angles. I know I can use a lot of filler if need be, it gets painted, but my goal is to learn to plank.

curving water way.jpg

First planks in.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

In Dry Dock:

I just noticed while looking at the water way that I was bending it the wrong way. I had it tall, not flat.

In Dry Dock:

This afternoon I was able to remove the band aid without bleeding. Now as long as I fon't bump it.

In Dry Dock:

Brian, 

the waterways is part of the deck planking,

see the picture

P1030787.JPG.67178582d719ff123da1a080448d8065.JPG

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

It should lay flat then?

In Dry Dock:

Yes it should lay flat.  it isn't a problem bending it on the flat side as there isn't much of a bend. You don't need to pre-bend the planks.  Just install and pin until the glue sets.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

We talking the outer water way? The part that goes between stations?

In Dry Dock:

For the outer waterway strakes, I simply cut planks to length and inserted them between the timbers. I found no need to bend them. However, pay attention to the angle that you cut them on. They aren't cut at 90 degrees however I usually just eyeballed it.

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Regarding bending them, my thinking was that the hull is curved, so must the plank.

In Dry Dock:

I didn't have the first row of hull planks on yet.  I installed the waterway planks then sanded them down to match the curve of the hull. I also found when said and done I had to add some body fill.  My thinking is that it's no big deal because any imperfections would be hidden later with paint.

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Derek, 

with the aftermath I would have installed the waterway planks first before planking the hull.

But yes, I had to do some pre-bending of the full length waterways as I used boxwood.

If I would had used the provided basswood this wouldn't be necessary.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

On 11/14/2017 at 4:47 PM, Worldway said:

For the outer waterway strakes, I simply cut planks to length and inserted them between the timbers. I found no need to bend them. However, pay attention to the angle that you cut them on. They aren't cut at 90 degrees however I usually just eyeballed it.

Derek, 

you are absolutely right, those inserts has to be a little wider since they are not cut at 90 degrees.

Brian, 

the inserts between the bulkheads are to be shaped according to the hull line. See my previous picture.

Respectfully

So I SHOULD have shaped them. Damn me for a fool. Doesn't look like anything will hide it either.

In Dry Dock:

I've been planking from the top down and the bottom up per Hunt's practicum. At bulk head H I have 9/16" between upper and lower planking. At D (the others are already covered) I have 1/2". Planks are 1/8". Is this where I need a spile, or can I just taper the remaining strips?

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

In Dry Dock:

Thanks, Bro-in-law!

Okay so, I know, I know, plank both sides evenly... That means they'll both be hosed. This way I have a chance to learn from each side. Got the bondo sanded down, 80 grit, 120, 180, 220, 300, 380, 600 and just for fun, 900. Anyone want's to remember what a baby's but feels like...

Mikeik is helping me through pm. Got some nice proportional dividers. For those considering them. Don't go with the $30 jobs. You get this ornate wooden box, beautiful. And something made of tin inside. I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DIC524/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Saved a long time for these guys. $120 amazon prime.

Pics in a few, I never showed the water way I have installed thus far.

And please welcome my brother in law, Terry Lampen. He's a model builder of all things plastic. Just retired and getting back into it after 97 years.

Let's win him over to the dark side.

In Dry Dock:

Garboard plank is in. Pretty good job, too.

gb1.jpg

gb2.jpg

gb3.jpg

In Dry Dock: