Bluenose by Don Quixote – Model Shipways – scale 1:64 - Canadian fishing Schooner

How thick can you get? The Avatars. Took me a uh, minutes.

Had to order a new hose for my Badger. Can't find the old. Did a major garage cleaning project and now wish I had been a little more careful watching the neighborhood kids.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Turns out it was $40.00. Not yet what I'm after but I should be able to make something from the primary's.

Colors.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

jeez dude - can't you just find a premixed color that's ready to go?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Just found myself a chair a few rows back. You are a comfortable 6-7 month ahead of me, so while I learn from your experience, you might still have clear memory of issues if I need help. Immediate edit - when. I need help. 

Currently I’m no further than gluing the keel and cutting the rabbet line. Might add a couple of bulkheads tonight.

i see you’re airbrushing the hull - would it be possible to get a smooth finish using regular paintbrushes, or do I have to apply for further equipment funds from the admiralty? New gear is always fun...

Edited by Torstein

Current build: Bluenose

Previous build: Colin Archer

Brian,

Why didn't you just buy regular base colors, you are going to spend so much time on mixing along with the loss of paint.

Any hobby store has the colors you need even for air brushing.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Not my store. The nearest halfway decent hobby shop it 45 minutes away. Seemed cheap at the time. The one y'all were talking about were a lot of bucks.

In Dry Dock:

Torstein, I'd guess it depends on the paint and the brush combined, but I highly doubt it. My advice would be to tell her you love her 3 times a day and hug her at least once. 2 dinners out over 2 weeks, then apply for funds. At least that's what I'll try next. Definitely want new paints.

Welcome aboard. You'll find I'm not much into the NRG side. I'm going to paint this the colors I want.

In Dry Dock:

14 hours ago, mikiek said:

premixed color that's ready to go

I was thinking of the future. I build an occasional plastic car too, but mostly it was cheap. I also didn't realize how little an oz is.

Last time I bought an oz, it filled a zip lock.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

My HobbyTown store is also located 45 minutes away. But worth the drive, as I can see the paint before buying.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

@Torstein, I think this should answer your question.

Otherwise, thoughts on the color?

Wow. When you load the picture you get a thumbnail. After you submit you see what the phone saw. Zoomed way in. On MY monitor, the color on the left closest resembles the color. Guess we'll have to wait for the air gun hose to see what it really looks like.

choise.jpg

Addendum

In Dry Dock:

Brian - the biggest problem with mixing colors (voice of experience here) is you have to do one of two things.

1. Count every frikin drop of each color you mix and write it down. Because if you need some more to paint the same build you need the same color.

OR

2. Mix way more than you need and store the rest. Storing can be a problem. A lot of the mixing bottles have crappy lids that leak air. Tamiya paint bottles store really well. If you use the paint (which I do) then save the bottles. Otherwise you can buy empties. The lids are the difference.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Can you send me an Amazon link to something that'll work for me? I'm willing to beg from the warden.

I found the color I want, but there's only one oz. There's another that looks so close I can't see a difference when painting. I'm going to mix the 2 to get 2 oz's.

Some have Admirals, some are told what to think. Just kidding. My 92 year old WWII vet has been married for 72 years and calls his wife the warden. This woman is MEAN!!!!!

In Dry Dock:

Not sure what brand you are after. I use strictly Tamiya - bought from MegaHobby. They carry the full line, are rarely out and shipping is pretty quick. The only problem is the color chart. It has the usual problems from viewing on a monitor.

They also carry the clear paints which are great to use when you are masking a surface and don't want the paint to wick under the tape. Just paint the clear over the edge of the tape first.

Speaking of masking tape, Tamiya's is one of the best. It comes in several very thin sizes for modelling.

Tamiya's paints are always thicker than need be so you will want to thin it. While you can use water, alcohol works better - 91%. Even better use their thinner. It supposed to be an alcohol based acrylic paint.

The one thing they don't make (except aerosol) is primer. I use Valejo there.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my hose, before I sterted painting I decided to give it a good cleaning. Now I can't get the beast back together, but my neighbor lent me his.

Let's see what the color looks like on the monitor now.

color.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Not too far off. Dunno why the picture shows the dark splashes. I'll spray her down with a satin finish to dull it a bit. I don't want it flat though.

In Dry Dock:

What dark splashes are you referring to?

Around the outer edges. It's an artifact from not using a flash which I thought would distort the image further.

It's supposed to be an aqua. No mixing, it came with the kit.

Addendum

In Dry Dock:

Brian, 

Now I am really confused, are you using the paint that came with the kit or the paint you bought on-line?

Either way, it's not even close to the color code related to Bluenose upper hull.

Respectfully

I'm using an aqua marine blue. It's my Granddaughter's favorite color. It's also what color my house it painted.

In Dry Dock:

• The title was changed to Bluenose by Don Quixote – Model Shipways – scale 1:64 - Canadian fishing Schooner