Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

your latest outfit looks great!   the depth and detail is amazing and even though this is a static model,  shows a lot of action.   you've done very well with the model showing these qualities and giving it a life like feel.  an impressive model so far ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Danny,

This is incredible. What a work of art. I love the pictures with the plane hanging from the crane. I just cannot believe it is made of paper cards....

I have to say it is a frenzy and feast of Bismarcks between your model and the Trumpeter Build Log from Smorebutts.

Thank you for allowing us to truly appreciate the beauty of card models. I knew the work of Doris and her classic sailboats but your model is outstanding.

Any chance we can have a picture of you holding the ship? I really would appreciate a human reference next to the model.

Thanks

Yves

Thanks very much Popeye, Bernie (welcome back :)) and Yves. Much appreciated. Yves, I'll take a pic of me holding Bismarck a bit later.

Construction of the Main Guns begins with the usual inadequate kit-supplied framing, to which I've added a lot of extra card :

Main Guns (1).JPG

Main Guns (2).JPG

One of the turrets skinned. I've modified these to swivel as well :

Main Guns (3).JPG

There are 12 vents of varying widths that fit to the two higher turret bases. Here are a few pics of there construction :

Main Guns (5).JPG

Main Guns (4).JPG

Main Guns (7).JPG

Main Guns (6).JPG

The vents fitted to one of the bases :

Main Guns (8).JPG

One of the turrets with the gun barrels fitted :

Main Guns (9).JPG

I've made "boots" in a similar fashion to the ones I made for the 150mm guns :

Main Guns (11).JPG

Main Guns (10).JPG

Turret "Caesar" temporarily sitting in position on the deck. I've also painted the boots :

Main Guns.JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

too awesome for words Danny.........I am amazed  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks guys :).

Well, after all that extra work designing the pieces for the barrel boots ..... I discovered they were on the last Part Sheet WITHOUT PART NUMBERS. So naturally I missed them. They also weren't shown in the (almost) useless construction diagrams :angry:.

Here's another one of many examples of the lack of thought that went into the design of this kit. The overlapping sections on the needlessly double-thickness parts are so close together that it's very difficult to separate them without distorting or otherwise damaging the pieces. Of course, there was at least 20mm of blank paper between them and surrounding pieces on the sheet. Thank God that I'm nearly finished - I'm really starting to HATE this kit :angry: :

Details (7).JPG

Anyway, rant over :D.

If you've been wondering where I've been for the last few days - here's the answer. Making heaps of small detail parts to finish off the main deck before permanently installing the main guns. A lot of these parts would be more difficult to fit later on :

Details (10).JPG

Details (11).JPG

Details (12).JPG

Details (13).JPG

I think these are Water Cannons?

Details (1).JPG

Details (2).JPG

The four Anchors. These again were laid out in similar fashion to the parts above - almost touching in fact. They were also single-thickness paper in the kit - I tripled them in thickness prior to cutting them out :

Details (4).JPG

Here's a handy tip for picking up parts that are too small and/or fiddly for fingers or even tweezers. Cut an angle on the end of a toothpick, lick it and stick it :

Details (9).JPG

I had to roll a lot of small tubes for the Bollards. These were of a diameter where none of my brass or plastic tubing was the right size ID to hold them until the glue dried. I solved the problem by using an undersized piece of PVC tubing, cutting a slot down the length, squeezing it onto the correct size Number Drill and applying heat with my heat gun. The tubing stayed at the right diameter, and making the pieces was a piece of cake :) :

Details (6).JPG

Details (5).JPG

Details (8).JPG

I still have quite a few more small pieces to make, including four more 50mm PE guns, so I'll be back when I have more progress to show.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I tend to use the tip of my #11 knife blade to pick up small parts. The tiny little stab mark is imperceptible.

Oh, almost forgot to add -- I picked up some EZ-Line (just came in the mail today) and will give it a whirl on my current project.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Busy boy indeed Danny; seems you are ready to move onto the next kit :)

Nice work on all that detail; it will look good in-situ.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

coulda fooled me Danny...you hate it bad enough to do such great job?   conflict of logic......the community will never know  ;)   very nice work :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Amazingly precise and beautiful work in card Danny,

will your future modeling preference be with card relating to your masterly skills and techniques ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I think he's in it for the long haul.........but I think some "wood envy" is starting to creep in  ;)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I think he's in it for the long haul.........but I think some "wood envy" is starting to creep in  ;)    

Not sure...I think he may be back to Plastic models...before long. :P

For certain, doing ships in cards is a form of art which is rare and precious.

Yves

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Correct Popeye (for the time being at least ;)). Here's my next model - another Card one from Halinski. HMS Hood :

HMS_Hood_h60450.jpg

1280px-HMS_Hood_(51)_-_March_17,_1924.jpg

3 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Not sure...I think he may be back to Plastic models...before long. :P

For certain, doing ships in cards is a form of art which is rare and precious.

Yves

I'm not really interested in building a plastic model Yves, too much painting involved. I really don't like painting any more than is necessary.

Moving right along. There are only two Davits supplied in the kit, so that's all that is going on. Quite difficult to cut out without distortion, but I managed it :

Davits (1).JPG

Davits (2).JPG

There are also 7 Paravanes. These are a lot smaller than the ones on Amatsukaze, so there isn't as much detail. Also no PE for them :

Paravanes (2).JPG

Paravanes (3).JPG

Making to nose cones for them looked impossible at first - they are tiny. They turned out to be surprisingly easy, once I de-laminated the card into about 1/3 thickness. I used my pointed taper tool :

Paravanes (4).JPGParavanes (1).JPG

Ready to mount, after I make the support brackets from 0.2mm wire. The overly dark Pitt Pen touch-up will fade to a lighter grey in time :

Paravanes.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks John :).

1 hour ago, maaaslo said:

Nice progress Danny.

where are you going to get the Hood from? You have some place in mind already?

Pav, I've already ordered it from Halinski and paid for it. I was expecting it to be delivered yesterday. Hopefully it'll arrive early next week because I only have a couple of day's work left on this one :).

Cheers, Danny

jeeze,  with all the sub assemblies you've made,  the progress is going to burst at the seams!  definitely would be cool to snap a picture before you added all the parts,  and then one after  ;)    the  Hood is going to be an awesome model....can I select a seat now ?  :) 

the color on the paravanes.......I hardly noticed it.  it will disappear in all the detail ;) and reduce it'self to mere weathering!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

20 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

definitely would be cool to snap a picture before you added all the parts,  and then one after

Yep, I was going to do that :).

20 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the color on the paravanes.......I hardly noticed it.  it will disappear in all the detail ;) and reduce it'self to mere weathering!

That's what usually happens Popeye :). It always starts out rather dark, and fades after a day or so as it dries properly.

Cheers, Danny

The last "major" pieces before I fit all the small details to the main deck, the four 20mm single guns :

Last Guns.JPG

Here are a couple of pics of the main deck before I start fitting the details. The main turrets will be fitted after this work is completed, then on to the main deck railings :

Overview Before (3).JPG

Overview Before (2).JPG

Overview Before (1).JPG

With the end in sight a welcome delivery came today :) :

Hood Kit.JPG

Cheers, Danny

I fell a diorama coming on Danny? ;)

cheers

Pat

1 minute ago, BANYAN said:

I feel a diorama coming on Danny? ;)

cheers Pat

Pat, I'd need to build a new room on the house just for that - these models are rather BIG :D.

Cheers, Danny

Most of the smaller main deck details are now fitted. The rest will be done after the main deck railing is installed. The main guns are also permanently mounted :

Overview After (1).JPG

Overview After (2).JPG

Overview After (3).JPG

Overview After (6).JPG

Overview After (7).JPG

Overview After (8).JPG

The Wash Deflectors took a while to fit, with all the very small support braces taking the longest :

Overview After (4).JPG

Overview After (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Very nicely executed detail Danny.  This  model is so well done that at first glance you would never know it is card.

cheers

Pat