Dan Vadas

Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

Danny,

congratulations on this masterly and awesome built battle ship. Its so well built that surely the card kit supplier should be interested to ask for permission to use photos...

are you intending to do a diorama of the two battleships, when the Hood is also completed ?

Nils

Dan Sooo sorry

I screwed up with my new build log and now my signature takes over when I post to other logs. I won't post anywhere until I get this resolved. Tried to erase the link but no luck

apologies

Michael

Hi Danny,

You’ve done it again and have created another masterwork! Congratulations!  I noticed how many of comments refer to the fact that the build is card.  I think the model is a tour de force regardless of the medium.  Thanks for sharing.

Best,

John

Hello Dan!My names David From Scotland  G'Day!.. and new to the card Shipbuilding!..I have just Bought the GPM 1/200 Bismarck  and I'm looking forward to building it... just one wee request though  I take it all the parts are included and all I need to supply are the tools and glue to start! I have built card models before, architecture and railway buildings and card glue (that ok for these ships?)  so there is a bit of card building experience to fall back on  I have built the plastic 1/350 Bismarck kits  so I know the shape and lines of the ship.

Your pics of this ship are brilliant and are there any more?  as you are a man of vast experience in these matters.

Hello, David. Be aware that Danny added a significant amount of after-market photo-etched (PE) detail parts to his model. This is really quite an advanced-level model by itself, and working with PE is another tricky skill to acquire. I think you would be doing yourself a huge favor by postponing your Bismarck build for a few weeks and having a crack at the card modeling tutorial we have posted here, based on a free downloadable model of the German V108 torpedo boat. It's a good way to get some card skills under your belt before tackling what is a very demanding project.

Kind regards,

Chris

Thanks for the compliments Doris, I'm nowhere near your level of skill with card though :).

Hi David and welcome to my build log. Chris has given you good advice about not jumping straight into Bismarck as a first card build - it's not an easy one by any means. Card glue is fine for these models. I had one or two issues with the kit, nothing major and I think I covered them in my log so you may be able to avoid some of the errors I made which I later corrected. If you want a copy of the Part Finder spreadsheet I made, and also the translated instructions, send me a PM and I'll email them to you. The spreadsheet is particularly useful.

Danny

Hi Danny  I'm looking at your completed section pics for Bismarck they are excellent as is your work.. dunno if its a secret or not but do I see thin plywood there on the hull?  if not and it's card what thickness are you using please?  got my GPM Bismarck today. 

David1962

1 hour ago, David1962 said:

do I see thin plywood there on the hull?  if not and it's card what thickness are you using please?  got my GPM Bismarck today.

No plywood, that's the colour of the 1mm card. There is also laser-cut 0.5mm card in the kit for things like the decks and superstructure.

Hope you have fun with your Bismarck. I also hope they fixed the issue I had with the mis-matched colours of the main decks.

If you didn't get the laser-cut options I would STRONGLY recommend that you put the model on hold and order them.

Danny

On 12/6/2018 at 7:21 AM, David1962 said:

I had a look at it today and the deck colours look matched ok

I couldn't really spot the difference in the two sheets of decks until I'd cut them out and fitted them together. Hopefully mine was just a bad sheet of printing and yours is OK.

There are more laser-cut parts available than just the framing etc. They also supply all the smaller guns, radomes and a few other things as options which you have to buy separately. Also the photo-etch for the AA guns and other small parts (same deal). Check the first post or two for all the extras I bought.

Danny