Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

The three sections of Deck are on and I've finished adding all the extra card to the bulkheads etc, and also added some between the upper, middle and lower "decks" to remove any slight bows between the wider spaced bulkheads as well as stiffening everything up. Now to spend a day or so Fairing everything. I'm not all that happy about the printing on the deck timber, the joins stand out a lot more because the colours of the planks don't match at the joins :( :

Decks (2).JPG

Decks (1).JPG

Extra Framing (6).JPG

Extra Framing (5).JPG

Extra Framing (4).JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I see what you mean Danny......I would have imagined they would match better since the deck was probably printed as one piece,  then split up later.  still looks quite impressive though....the hull has some 'beefcake' now ;)  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Have to agree with you Dan. Looks a bit messy, like the parts are discoloured. When I look at it, the proving of the print went all wrong, I've done that, and it can be quite hard to get it right, but when one pays for it, it should be done properly! The spacers and additonal strengthning give it sturdy look ... nice going

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I have this exact same kit with the PE and turned brass gun barrels. The hull is only part plated. If you allow I can follow you as my experience with card is very limited. Your log will be extreamly helpful.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

2 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

I'm not all that happy about the printing on the deck timber, the joins stand out a lot more because the colours of the planks don't match at the joins :( :

Hi Danny, great progress.

I commented on exactly the same colour mismatch on my now defunct Bismarck log.  Its a pity they don't review and tweek their kits periodically to fix things like that.

I had some full length shots on my log showing the full deck and I had hoped at the time that once superstructures were placed the areas where they were joined wouldn't be so obvious.  

Cheers

Slog 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Its a pity they don't review and tweek their kits periodically to fix things like that.

They probably don't make any corrections until they do a reprint. IF they a do a reprint. I think at Halinski, for example, they print one edition, and when it's gone, it's gone.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Dan,

What about creating your own deck "planks" out of veneer or foil, similar to Doris?   How wide are the planks on the print? Would it be possible for you to glue very thin cuts of wood together and sand down thin in order to create planking?  You could use the existing deck as a planking guide, and to turn that deck from a frustration, into a masterpiece!

Alan

Thanks for looking in Popeye, Carl, Scott, Slog, Chris and Alan.

On 24/09/2017 at 9:39 AM, cog said:

The spacers and additonal strengthning give it sturdy look

The bulkheads would have been very wobbly and difficult to fair without them, not to mention that they'd have possibly moved as I attached the skins. They are VERY solid now, almost as stable as timber :).

On 24/09/2017 at 12:07 PM, knightyo said:

Dan,

What about creating your own deck "planks" out of veneer or foil, similar to Doris?   How wide are the planks on the print? Would it be possible for you to glue very thin cuts of wood together and sand down thin in order to create planking?  You could use the existing deck as a planking guide, and to turn that deck from a frustration, into a masterpiece!

Forget about that - the printed planks are only 1mm wide, and there are about 150 in the width of the deck. They'd also have to be no more than about 0.1mm thick - even then not ALL of the deck is planked (e.g. on the edges where there is a narrow strip of "steel"), so there would be a step where they finish.

I can live with it, they probably won't be noticeable when everything else is fitted ;).

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I agree, leave it. It is noticeable to you and to us as you have pointed it out. But if one does not know one will not see it. So don´t worry, very few will notice.

5 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Why dont to try to give it a session in dry brushing? To unify the color of the decks...?

3 hours ago, Mr. Hollom said:

I'd just leave it. It might stick out like s sore thumb at the moment but once bits and pieces have been built around it, it might not be so noticable.

Peter

Thanks for the advice Pav, but I also agree with Peter. I'm leaving the deck as it is - bad enough now, worse later if I try to fix it :D.

All the extra card has been fitted and faired. I haven't added any extra bracing between large-spaced bulkheads, I'm going to give it a go the way it is and hope for the best :rolleyes:.

Before fitting any hull skins I need to do some work on the Portholes. I've got the PE portholes from GPM (2.0mm and 1.6mm) which could just be glued to the hull over the printed ones. I've punched them out and glued some thin clear plastic behind to simulate glass. I'll fit the PE after all the hull has been skinned in case some come off when I'm gluing the skins on :

Portholes (1).JPGPortholes (3).JPG

Portholes (2).JPG

Time to glue the first skin. I'm starting with the upper bands rather than the bottom of the hull as directed by the kit. This way worked well on Amatsukaze and I'm doing the same as I think it's a LOT more important to get the detailed upper skins to fit correctly - they all need trimming (1st pic below), and there's nothing dictating exactly how much to take off the lower skins.

First Skin (1).JPG

First Skin (3).JPG

First Skin (2).JPG

The sides have a step inward halfway down which needs a narrow horizontal piece. I fitted this first. When fitting the large skin I managed to muck it up a bit, so a little filler and touch-up will be needed. I have to paint the edges of the paper anyway, so it's no big deal :

Thin Skin (1).JPG

Thin Skin (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny,

I'm late to the party but I'll definitely be following along now.  By the way, what is the finished length?

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

30 minutes ago, Landlocked123 said:

what is the finished length?

Thank you for dropping in John :). It's 1260mm, about 4 feet long. BIG :D.

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, Mr. Hollom said:

How are you getting on? Any progress to report?

Looking forward to your updates

Peter

I've been rather busy doing other stuff for the last week or so. I've finished the upper hull skinning and just started on the lower skins. A progress report will be coming shortly :).

Cheers, Danny

Here's the next update, the first of the lower hull skins. Hopefully this will be one of the hardest to fit, as it took me a few hours.

The bottom of the bow bulges out, which made fitting the skin a lot harder than any of the others. GPM are rather stingy when it comes to designing the cut-outs for rounded areas - Halinski would have used at least twice the amount of cuts, which makes for a better "round". I pre-shaped the petals as best I could before fitting which made it somewhat easier. However there was still some trimming required before it would fit properly :

First Lower Hull Skin (3).JPG

First Lower Hull Skin (4).JPG

First Lower Hull Skin (1).JPG

First Lower Hull Skin (2).JPG

It didn't turn out too bad, it'll look a whole lot better with a bit of filler and touch-up paint.

Cheers, Danny

52 minutes ago, cog said:

It looks rather good Dan. If there arn't enough incisions, why not add to them?

I thought about that Carl, but I'd have had bigger problems. To cut extra incisions you'd finish up with the points too short leaving a gap where they meet. If I'd have cut extra ones in ignoring the printed ones there would be a white line between them which would still need painting.

Pre-forming the petals with a rounded stick before gluing the skin on helped a lot :).

Cheers, Danny

I've got a question for Slog.

In your Bismarck Log you mentioned that you had a major disaster with the red hull skin Number 8. I'm currently up to skin 5, and I'd like to know what caused the problem with yours before I go too much further and run into the same thing.

BTW - I'm not overlapping my skins as you did. However I made a mistake with the very first one in the bow, resulting in them all falling short of the bulkheads by a considerable margin. I had already cut the first four skins, so I couldn't do anything about it until now other than adding extra card to the forward sides of the next 5 bulkheads. Skin 5 is cut to the extreme outside of the panel, and I'll trim it to fit the middle of the next bulkhead to get back on track. I'll have to paint over the resulting black line, but at least the rest should go on correctly.

In hindsight (I have 20-20 hindsight :D) I should probably have started by gluing on skin 2 first, and then modifying the bow framing to suit skin 1. Ya live and ya learn ;).

Thanks in advance, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

You shouldn't have any issues with it.  If I remember correctly it was purely down to my inexperiance; the hull skins are quite large and by No.8 it is a fair size and I was trying to glue too much in one hit.  Due to this I started rushing as the glue was starting to off due to the size and I ended up pressing the skin down between the extra balsa wood braces/stringers I put in and it looked absolutely terrible.

As you say hindsight is a wondeful thing and knowing what I know now and taking my time it shouldn't have been an issue.  I wasn't keen on the overlapping skins at first but to be honest once it was done I didn't mind them, also I couldn't see a suitable solution to butting them at the time.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Amazing workmanship - esp  as its card  (beyond me I can tell you)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the insight Slog, and for the kind comment OC :). Here are some pics of my hull skinning progress. I've just fitted the "dreaded" Skin #8 without any dramas ;). I'm fairly happy with the way they have come out - not perfect, but nothing I can't fix with a bit of filler and touch-up paint on some of the joins.

One thing I found out the hard way when building my first Card model, Cerberus, is NOT to put any glue on the extra bracing in the middle of a skin. Doing this can "pull" on the skin, causing "starving cow". I only glue the very edges of the skin, being careful not to touch it in the middle until it's thoroughly dry. I use a narrow piece of flat wood with the edges rounded off so it doesn't dig into the paper to push the skin down onto the glued bulkhead, instead of using my fingers which can tend to pull the skin slightly while the glue is still wet - the glue actually softens the card a bit, so care is needed here. BTW - I'm using Acid-free PVA Craft glue, fairly thick straight from my glue bottle.

Another thing with gluing large panels - I glue the skins in three steps, the first up to where the skin flattens out, then the flat section, and finally the other rounded section. I tape the skin down with pieces of Tamiya tape as I go, and leave each section to dry for a few minutes before moving on to the next. This way I can easily keep up with the glue before it starts to go off.

I've redone the extra bracing between the bulkheads. The longitudinal pieces are faired to fit hard under the skin, without needing any glue, to reduce the chances of accidentally crushing the skins.

It goes without saying that there is a LOT of dry-fitting involved, especially on this model where the skins have overlaps designed into them. I'm cutting the overlaps off and butting the skins together, it takes a lot longer but the result is a lot better IMO.

I really DON'T like the way this model has been designed - my next Card model will definitely be another Halinski.

Here are the pics :

Hull Skinning Progress (3).JPG

Hull Skinning Progress (2).JPG

Hull Skinning Progress (1).JPG

This is Skin #5, the first one that I hadn't earlier cut to the lines. I've managed to "catch up" with the centres of the bulkheads by leaving part of the overlap on, resulting in the black line which I'll have to paint :

Hull Skinning Progress (4).JPG

Skin #8 ;) :

Skin 8.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Looking really good, amazing how it all fits together.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Coming along very nicely Danny!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the comments guys :).

It's been a long haul, but I'm finally down to the last Hull Skin. I've only been able to manage two skins per day until today where I fitted the last five, although they were a lot smaller and easier to cut, sand and glue. I had more than my share of problems fitting quite a few of them, mostly due to the poor design with the overlaps which I cut off. This meant that most of the skins didn't fall directly on a bulkhead and I had to add and sand extra card to nearly every one of them :angry:.

As you can see from the pics I also had some major problems with the fitting of the grey skins. They finished up with some really bad creases, due in part to the cut-out Portholes and acrylic "glass" making the skins bend where I didn't want them to, and I've had to use a lot of Filler to get them out. The filler hasn't been final sanded yet, and there's still a little more to add in a few places.

Here are two pics with the final one still to go on. I filled the whole last section with card and sanded it to shape to make sure I had something to glue the piece onto. It turned out to be a lot easier to fit than I was expecting :) :

Last Hull Skin (3).JPG

Apologies for the blurry pic :

Last Hull Skin (2).JPG

And the last skin fitted - yippeeee :

Last Hull Skin (1).JPG

Now to fill some small gaps and start mixing up the touch-up watercolour paint.

Cheers, Danny

Looking good Danny. I still find it incredible that its a card model!

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36