Le Soleil Royal by Nek0 - 1/72 - Marc Yeu

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a very well planned and executed beautiful build by an experienced craftsman! The hull and stern of this SR look spot on!

I hope we may see some inspiring updates soon again.

In the meanwhile, I’m ordering materials and downloading your drawings because of your build... 😌 Very inspiring!

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you everybody for your kind words and encouragements. You know, I really hate to be an unreliable man, and I feel unconfortable with saying I will post pics and I can't. But everytime I think I will have some time to go back to the workshop the amount of work (my real work I mean) increases and I'm away from home much more than I would like to... And as you can imagine with the Covid-19, things are not going to be better anyway soon. But that's my job and of course it is the priority.

Anyway, I have at last some real improvement to show so here are the pics !

At first I had to make some shaped pieces of wood (lisses de rabattues, don't know the english word, wich are molded) with a tarabiscot. Then I can plank the rest of the ship. I had to correct my drawings concerning the sheer cap railing (rabattues) and make them more parallel to the other "préceintes". (I don't find the english word, but I suppose it makes sense anyway). It came from an advice Marc gave me a few years ago. I did not make them more curve, in fact I even made them more straight, but I gave them less a "fan" shape. 

So at last it goes forward. The left side is a little late but will be done in a few days. 

Thank you for your interest, regards,

Marc

:)

Soleil Royal 689.PNG

Soleil Royal 690.JPEG

Soleil Royal 696.JPEG

Soleil Royal 697.JPEG

Soleil Royal 706.PNG

Soleil Royal 707.JPEG

Soleil Royal 724.JPEG

Soleil Royal 725.JPEG

Soleil Royal 727.JPEG

Soleil Royal 730.JPEG

Soleil Royal 732.jpeg

Well, Marc - THIS - THIS was absolutely worth the wait!  Just spectacular craftsmanship, and your sheer reduction looks pitch-perfect for 1689.

I like the accommodation you made in scarfing together stock for the sheer-strakes before moulding them - very clever.

What is your construction plan for the lower finishing of the quarter galleries, up to the main deck open walk?

Personally, because my model will be completely painted, my plan is to carve the lower finishing from wood (something very close-grained) and then build the lower quarter gallery lights from styrene, as I did at the stern.  I will have to create horizontal styrene formers that establish the outboard parameters and shape of the quarter galleries, while giving me an edge-surface to scrape-in the various transitional moulding profiles.

There are so many complicated shapes, in this area, that I was just wondering how you plan to approach it.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Beautiful and precise work, Marc.  Don't worry about posting.  Life and work come first and this is just a hobby.  No rush, no pressure.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi all !

Marc, for the quarter galleries I have no precise plan yet, but I think I will make a quite elaborate form with balsa wood as a draft to study the volumes. Then I will build the stern and the galleries the way it's meant to be, building the frame then planking and then adding the ornaments. 

I finally made a last correction on the sheer cap railings, wich on reflection I found a bit too stiff and straight. I remade the last level and gave a bit more plunging; it's only 2mm but it makes a difference. So I post the same views as before for a comparison. For the susbandes I resigned myself to use what Alexey Baranov had graciously sent me at the time. It's not bad, and for what will be seen it will do the job. For the guns of the upper decks I will do them by myself but for the first two decks it will save me considerable time. I also post again a pic of the carpenter, I love this little guy. It puts a touch of colour, of life, it pops much more than my little wooden Tourville. It immediatly give a good idea of the size of the ship !

Soleil Royal 733.JPEG

Soleil Royal 734.JPEG

Soleil Royal 737.JPEG

Soleil Royal 739.JPEG

Soleil Royal 740.JPEG

Soleil Royal 743.JPEG

Soleil Royal 746.JPEG

Soleil Royal 748.JPEG

Soleil Royal 749.JPEG

You are right, Marc, that these small adjustments to the rake of sheer do make a difference.  I think what you have here, now, is very pleasing.

When you refer to the “susbandes,” are those the iron straps that run across the barrel trunnions, thus securing the barrel to its carriage?

I like your plan to carve a balsa model of the QG.  My hope is that you will take and post as many pictures of that process as possible.

I know you work in the medical field, so take good care of yourself in the midst of this crisis.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Hello !

Yes, the "susbandes" are the metal parts that secure the gun on it's carriage, I don't know the correct word in English. No problem, I will post as many pictures as needed ! At this time I can work every day in the workshop so the SR progresses quite quickly, I hope I can post new pictures soon ! Yes I'm a GP in the north of France, and we are quite under pressure with this virus... 

Take care everyone !

Thank you Victor ! I didn't know about it, I will try ! 

Work on the Soleil Royal goes on, this time I shoudn't disapear for a few months... well, I hope !

I'm working on the decorative parts of the third deck, much time to adjust these small elements... But the result is there, it's quite good looking. The boxwood parts are 0,5mm, and they are made round on there edges. (sometimes I struggle with english language to exprim simple ideas !! 😅)

Soleil Royal 759.JPEG

Soleil Royal 762.JPEG

Soleil Royal 766.JPEG

Marc,

Superb work - also learning so much from your build log!!

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

just curious as to what lens(s) you use to take  your superb shots.................you probably could have a whole thread describing your camera, lighting, and techniques.....sorry don't want to distract you....just a quicky

and the fascinating thing is, while the whole world is falling apart around  you, you and hubac sit and create these fantastic creations on almost a microscopic level, that maybe 1% of the population may find interesting....that sure is one definition of love.....

Edited by yancovitch

Yes, I will carve every single piece of ornament in boxwood. I had a proposal by a russian modelist to make me every sculpture of the SR in resin, (or wood with cnc I don't remember) in exchange of my plans, and a proposal just like Michel Saunier by a french modelist to offer me some of the decorative parts in resin but I declined both, I want to make as much as I can by myself and I want only wood for the decorative parts. Resin looks good on Michel Saunier's model but who knows how the wood will turn in a few years... Resin will always look the same so maybe in a couple of years the difference between the two materials will be too obvious. 

For my photos I only use my Iphone... with the light of my workshop. Only the last picture is made by daylight in my living room. I find the Iphone make some really good photos, with much faithful colors than my canon compact camera I previously used. The only inconvenient is when you need to zoom, the precision of the image runs down. And I like to take some distance from the subject and then zoom rather than make closer shots because the closer you are the more deformed is the image. Especially with rounded shapes as a ship's hull. I have not found a solution for that.

These last days were my week of "holydays", and I tried to stay offline from the work as much as I could because I needed to. On sunday I return to work and I will make my part of the job of course. 

Take care everyone, best regards !

• 5 months later...

Such patience. But with all the work that's gone into SR so far, carving the ornaments is a fitting tribute.  Why not use walnut for the decorations? The details are soooo fine I would think a very hard wood would be necessary.  Non?

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everybody, thank you very much for your messages and all my apologies for not being active the last couple of month... I just discovered the warm PM you sent me and I'm really ashamed... 

The build has gone very little forward because it's a quite long work to do the carvings, and something I told  would never happen again has happened... I'm a father of a little baby girl born 08.22.20 ! Of course it made me busy quite a lot, and I can at last go back to the workshop. As you know the pandemic make my job more tricky but hopefully I'm not working in a hospital so I'm fine.

Thank you all for the kind words, I'm really sorry I did'nt see them earlier...

I hope everyone is alright, take care,

Marc

IMG_0895.jpeg

Edited by Nek0