Sakonnet Daysailer by Osmosis - FINISHED - Midwest Products - Small - First wooden boat build by Art Smith

One of those days were you work on something all day yet don't feel like you accomplished much.

I completed and stained the jack stands. I left the stain uneven and nasty to try to make it look like it has been around the yard a few times.

Then in keeping with my goal of using what I have in my shed I found an old pine craft mounting/plaque board with a routed edge. Probably left over from some project my Daughter and I worked on 25 years ago. I knew it world come in handy that is why I would not let the Admiral toss it out. I sanded and stained it and it came out ok. I will see what a couple of coats of poly look like on it.

Then I needed a way to get up on the boat so I made a 1/24 scale ladder. The stain is drying on that now. I will see what it looks like in the morning. I documented it with pictures but thought it would take up too much space here. If anyone wants to see how I did it I will be glad to post them up.

20171001_151539.jpg

20171001_151551.jpg

20171001_151631.jpg

20171001_203752.jpg

Well after a long layoff I think we can call this one finished.

Since I have to do all my painting outside I had to wait for a day when the humidity was below oh about 80% there have not been many of them in the last week or so . Anyone from South Florida will back me on this. But we finally had a decent weekend and I managed to get an acceptable finish on the base.

I made a long board to add to the scene while I was waiting. Anyone that has been cruising on the Dania Cutoff Canal or the South Fork of the New River or just about anywhere in the Keys will recognize this scene. All that is missing is an old guy with a floppy straw hat, cargo shorts, flip flops and a Kalik.

As you can see in the background I did not have another boat to start so I grabbed a Guillows P-40 off the shelf to hold me over until I can get to Model Expo next week.

While it is probably not "Gallery" worthy I think it came out OK. I certainly learned a lot for what should be a simple build. I tried a few things that were not exactly in the instructions and for the most part I am happy with the results.

Now what to build next. Another member, Pathagoras and I have scheduled a trip to Model Expo next Monday I will have to see what catches my eye and fits my limited budget. Until then I will mark this one finished.

20171009_182911.jpg

20171009_182834.jpg

20171009_183044.jpg

20171009_183017.jpg

20171009_183035.jpg

20171009_182824.jpg

20171009_182810.jpg

20171009_182802.jpg

20171009_182741.jpg

20171009_182712.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Your daysailer is a great example of well a "simple, little boat" can be built. You did a fantastic job on this beautiful little model!

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild