US Brig Syren by Peter Bloemendaal - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Beautiful ship Peter.  I have been working on the Syren as well and have been watching your build.  I have gotten some great ideas from you and JesseLee.  I have finished my hull and have started the fun but hard stuff!  I am a newbie, so watching these build logs has been priceless.  I am getting ready to start a log to document my experience with the Syren.  Beautiful model and, again, you have done a fantastic job on yours!

17 hours ago, Chris Sliger said:

Beautiful ship Peter.  I have been working on the Syren as well and have been watching your build.  I have gotten some great ideas from you and JesseLee.  I have finished my hull and have started the fun but hard stuff!  I am a newbie, so watching these build logs has been priceless.  I am getting ready to start a log to document my experience with the Syren.  Beautiful model and, again, you have done a fantastic job on yours!

Thanks Chris, I am looking forward to seeing your log. Being a 'newby' and being able to finish the hull is a pretty good start in my book. The Syren is an enjoyable build but not an easy one....lol

Thanks for all the 'likes' as well everyone.

I have another update with a few photo's. I finished the Spritsail yard rigging and have made a start on the anchors and buoys. I just loosely placed the anchors for the photos' at this stage. I also added some close-ups of the various belaying points (which made me realise I still have about 100+ odd rope coils to do as well before I finish....sigh)...

Peter.

Log Pic 287.JPG

Log Pic 285.JPG

Log Pic 286.JPG

Log Pic 288.JPG

Log Pic 289.JPG

Log Pic 290.JPG

Log Pic 291.jpg

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

That has to be one of the best Syren builds I've ever seen including my own🤔. Your log is very well done too. 

Thanks for sharing

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

15 hours ago, tigerdvr said:

That has to be one of the best Syren builds I've ever seen including my own🤔. Your log is very well done too. 

Thanks for sharing

WOW, Thanks very much Harley, That is quite a complement.

Cheers, Peter

Well here is another Log entry. That's two entries in two days. We were supposed to go out this long weekend for our wedding anniversary but I ended up getting the flu instead. With clear instructions to stay out of everyone's way to make sure I didn't pass the flu on, what better place to go than in the shed working on the model. I'm very obedient following instructions like that....lol. I was (still am) not feeling too good, but I got quite a bit done.

In this case I added some lines to the anchors, painted the buoys and added the buoy harnesses.

Just 2 photo's this time.

Log Pic 292.JPG

Log Pic 293.JPG

Are those the anchors supplied with the kit? Mine are so badly cast I'm not sure I can even use them.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

14 hours ago, Dubz said:

If you have a chance correct your anchor rope laying like here:

Hi Dirk,

I'm afraid I'm not brave enough to re-arrange the anchor rope at this stage. I wrapped it around too tightly and it's lost its natural look, so I'm not even happy the way it looks now. But I glued it to the deck, around the riding bits and into the hawse hole and with the restricted access I'm afraid I'll make a mess of it when I try to pull it off. It will be a lesson learned for next time.

9 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Are those the anchors supplied with the kit? Mine are so badly cast I'm not sure I can even use them.

Hi Jesse,

Yes they are. They needed a bit of filing to clean them up, but they didn't have the pits and imperfections you experienced. Maybe you can ask for a replacement pair from the supplier.

Peter

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, Dubz said:

Ah ok this are good reasons. Anyway it is a great build and I'm jealous 🙂

Thanks Dirk, No need to be jealous. You and Gahm were the inspirations for me to choose the Syren. And I'm not even close to the quality the two of you produce. (I won't disagree that my build is turning out pretty good though...lol).

I'm glad to see that you have started working or you build again, I'm always looking forward to your progress.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, JerseyCity Frankie said:

Certainly I've always loved wooden sailing ships. But after seeing the photos of your  build as it approached completion, I love wooden sailing ships EVEN MORE

Thanks Frankie, I'm glad you are enjoying the photo's.

Thanks again for all the likes as well.

Here are just a few photo's showing the anchors and buoys fitted. The next items on the list will be adding some rope coils.

Log Pic 294.jpeg

Log Pic 295.JPG

Log Pic 296.JPG

Log Pic 297.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, time for another update. I have been getting stuck into doing the rope coils. I tried a few different approaches and settled on one that are shown on the attached photo's. I hope they come out in the correct order. Only some of the pin rails on the starboard side are done so far. After all the pin rails are finished I will need to adjust the size of the 'loop' to make the rope coil hang at the correct height for the other belaying styles. It' pretty much a trail and error approach and pretty time consuming.

One thing to note is that the exact amount of glue is required for the knots. Too much and rope next to the knot soaks the glue in and becomes too stiff for it to look acceptable. Too little and the knot comes apart when fiddling with the assembly. So plenty of rejects, especially in the beginning.

Another thing is that I didn't use any glue when placing them on the pin rails. I'm curious if anyone knows of a way to secure them. For example using a spray on glue with the airflow strength of a puffer...lol

Anyway, enough dribble, here are some photo's...

Log Pic 298.JPG

Log Pic 299.JPG

Log Pic 300.JPG

Log Pic 301.JPG

Log Pic 302.JPG

Log Pic 303.JPG

Log Pic 304.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finished the model. Not sure how to add "finished" to the title yet though....lol.

Thanks for everyone who followed along and/or pushed the "like" button. It's been a absolute pleasure building this beautiful ship.

I put a few extra photo's in for the final post.

Log Pic 306.jpg

Log Pic 305.jpg

Log Pic 307.jpg

Log Pic 308.jpg

Log Pic 309.JPG

Log Pic 310.jpg

Log Pic 311.JPG

Log Pic 312.jpg

Log Pic 313.jpg

Log Pic 314.jpg

Log Pic 315.jpg

Log Pic 316.jpg

Log Pic 317.jpg

Log Pic 318.jpg

Very well done, one of the best Syren builds that I can recall. Your rope work is exemplary and the photography and log are certainly top notch. 

Thanks for sharing with us mere mortals.

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

excellent model!!!  You did an incredible job on her.  That will be a tough act for anyone to top and should serve as a great guide for others building the kit!!!

Stunning!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks for all the compliments and kind words everyone. It's appreciated very much.

What a great forum this is....

18 hours ago, svein erik said:

wow, beauteful ship, and congrats from mee to!

so wats your nex 😊

15 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Very Nice! Excellent work! An example to us all (to me in particular)! Any idea what your next build will be?

My next build will be Chuck's Confederacy.

17 hours ago, Katoom said:

Congratulations! I hope that you are able to find the Syren a good home, it deserves a place of honor. Hopefully you will be able to tell/show us where it will live!

Hi Katoom. You touched on the only problem I'm having with this build. I have no clue what to do with it yet...lol

We live in a small rental, so there is no place to display it there. There is one workbench in the shed where I build her so that eventually will need to be cleared for the Confederacy build (especially considering the size of the Confederacy).

So the other options are sell or donate. I have family members who will take her but without a case for protection I don't think she'll survive for too long.

It's been doing my head in for quite a while now. I would love to have it on display somewhere so others can enjoy her as well.

Peter

Ohh man... Please protect her and show where you (and if possible others) can enjoy! It would be pitty to let such a impresive model "Die" 👏

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much Rich 👍

You might consider your local library. Maybe on extended loan so you can get it back when you have more space.

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways

Beautiful job!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Absolutely stunning work!  I’m just starting mine and have been reading your build log...what a fantastic work of art to be incredibly proud of!!!

:dancetl6:

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.