Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

28 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

I can't find the hornet for sale anywhere at a normal price.  Almost like its discontinued

Somewhere a while back, I read that Merit was ceasing to exist. Of course Merit is a derivative of Trumpeter, so the molds should still be there, but I have neither heard nor read of any plans to re release the kit under Trumpeter's label. Merit, Trumpeter, Wave models, and Hobby Boss are all the same thing, just with a different box art/label.

When I was checking to buy the kit a while back, could only find it from China. No one in the USA had it in stock.  

I've had  bad experiences with packages from asia.  Maybe ill get lucky and find it in the states at a normal price. I still have time.  Its funny because there is TONS of PE  kits available and in stock everywhere for the hornet. I'm no math wiz but if theres alot of PE kits but no more actual hornets, that might be a problem. 

Edited by semorebutts

3 hours ago, semorebutts said:

I can't find the hornet for sale anywhere at a normal price.  Almost like its discontinued

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merit-USS-Hornet-Aircraft-Carrier-1-200-Large-Scale-Model-Ship-Kit/141837268406?epid=1124921975&hash=item210628f5b6:g:1tIAAOSwt6ZWVabU

In Ebay.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

:o if thats still available friday ill buy it!

All the best good luck.:)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

First you make us choose, then you tell us you do not have it, followed by it's to expensive when you found one for sale, and now you make us wait till Friday to keep us in suspense ...

talkin' about drivin' me nuts ;)

I hope it's still there Friday ... you will have to build it then!!! :D :D :D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

4 minutes ago, cog said:

First you make us choose, then you tell us you do not have it, followed by it's to expensive when you found one for sale, and now you make us wait till Friday to keep us in suspense ...

talkin' about drivin' me nuts ;)

I hope it's still there Friday ... you will have to build it then!!! :D :D :D

We will all be sitting on the edge of our seats till friday -think we should have a "got it" party late on friday all being well.;)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, semorebutts said:

Haha to be fair my original post says Im "about" to buy it.  Fridays when I get paid. It will still be there trust me. :) MSW needs a hornet build... even if it is my low skill set doing the building. 

Hey pack it in - Nothing wrong with your building skills, I love what you do and how you approach your building, its not just the end product, its the whole thing  its credit to you.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, cog said:

with adult beverages, and snacks  :rolleyes:

I would love Haribo and leamonade  - yummy  I would make a lovely ring out of one of them.;)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

hope it's not too late to wish you good luck on the Hornet.......do they have a 'buy it now'?    your doing a fantastic job on 'ole Biz'....can't wait to see what you'd do with the Hornet.   I guess this means that I vote for the Hornet too.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey guys. I cant do much today. Im the best man in my brothers wedding. But heres's progress report-Ish. 

I didn't realize Theres 8 hornets left in stock so I have time there.  I also didn't realize how much more I still have to do on this super structure piece. 

All these railings have to be bent, painted and installed

IMG_1620.thumb.JPG.738e03c3f54760cf202c647c6655e161.JPG

This  brass has to be assembled

IMG_1622.thumb.JPG.b3bca55abd237e274b446632e771080b.JPG

together with this to form the last radar. 

IMG_1624.thumb.JPG.7be489d5d4e9f0cde05fe20c98778bcc.JPG

All of the stairs have to still be installed (8 in total)

IMG_1623.thumb.JPG.edc501317b7674e158db278ad9824e84.JPG

these 2 guns need assembly and paint. I was looking to buy a PE set of them but they dont exist. I dont like the stock trumpeter guns. 

IMG_1625.thumb.JPG.fc70a21d44529bfe923ba735c5ca6870.JPG

And also the ships bell goes on this structure piece. Umm I think thats everything but probably not. All in all I'm looking at another 2-3 weeks to complete it. 

1 hour ago, semorebutts said:

these 2 guns need assembly and paint. I was looking to buy a PE set of them but they dont exist.

Yes they do Scott - 20mm AA guns

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I saw those Danny, but I think those are different guns. The ones I need are on a tripod bAse. Pontos is the only one ive seen that makes it, but it's part of the whole PE set and not sold seperately. I think I can find a photo I will post it. 

Here are most of the pieces for the radar

IMG_1626.thumb.JPG.1f6737319ccaa546473ffb90e51481a0.JPG

well im off to a wedding enjoy your saturday night everyone!

Sick day from work today :D  

I'm running into some problems though. 

First some good news I found the 2 guns! All assembled and ready for paint

IMG_1633.thumb.JPG.6360ddc2bc44c4a59cea963fca94f82c.JPG

also I bent all the railings im going to need and they are also ready for paint 

IMG_1634.thumb.JPG.c14b4877a7d24aa118ec1918b69980fd.JPG

The radar is where I start running into problems. All the plastic went together fine. 

IMG_1630.thumb.JPG.a11cf4a14dc1b53ce3b58b9f8299dd26.JPG

But when I get to this, the mini mast on top of the Radar theres a problem. If you look at part #11 it wraps around the mast then the horizontal piece slides in.

IMG_1635.thumb.JPG.1d74c9b858ab04b886b10402dc0eed71.JPGThe only problem is the holes in part 11 are way to small for said horizontal piece to fit through.  So now what? I  tried to drill out the holes a little bigger but ended up almost destroying the piece.   I have a feeling the only solution is to fabricate a whole new piece and I am not good at that. 

Heres the piece

IMG_1636.thumb.JPG.e106670140e9fa5c94e7f1168f46852d.JPG

do you think you'd get less damage,  if the part was fitted and cemented..then drill the hole out?   your half there anyway.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I thought of something else......fit the bracket and cement in place.  then cut the 'yard' in half and cement to each side of the bracket.   this may be the perfect cheat  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

If it's too much of a problem - leave it off altogether. Who'd know (besides you and me ;) :D)?

An alternative would be to cut (or file) slots into the ends of the holes and open the holes up enough to slip over the yard, glue the yard in and then close up the bracket again. You'd need really good cutters though.

Or maybe make a whole new yard from wire that WILL fit through the holes.

BTW - those are Range Finders, not Radars ;).

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

13 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

I wish I could just leave it off all together but some rigging line goes to and gets tied to this little mast.

Yeah, I know. Here's an overhead pic of mine (note how much simpler my details are compared to yours ;):D) :

Aft Superstructure Finished (1).JPG

One more alternative if you have any SOFT 0.2mm brass wire : fabricate the bracket from that by first gluing the yard to the mast, wrap the wire around the mast and yard, CA glue it on, and then trim and file it to shape. I'd probably have to draw a picture of what I mean. Once it's painted you wouldn't notice the difference.

Cheers, Danny

"problem is the holes in part 11 are way to small for said horizontal piece to fit through.  So now what? I  tried to drill out the holes a little bigger but ended up almost destroying the piece.   I have a feeling the only solution is to fabricate a whole new piece and I am not good at that. 

Heres the piece"

I have something like that, but a wee bit smaller, and it fits ... sometimes one just feels lucky ...

My 2 cents:

Cross the bars, loop a wire over the cross piece, pul underneath the other bar, and loop over the other side of the cross piece. CA to fixate it. You can get the full metal look by opening op the holes in the original part and fix it in place as if it part of it ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...