Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - with MK1 detail set

All the best to you farther  worrying times  hope all turns out ok.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 12/3/2017 at 4:54 PM, semorebutts said:

So i have to start thinking about the acrylic case. Does anybody have any experience working with acrylic. I dont know if Its somthing I can do or if I should have it custom made. 

I have to make somthing like this acually almost exactly like this. 

IMG_1092.thumb.PNG.32b99bf7fe2c5a01afb8597f212d4938.PNG

I have done two types of acrylic cases. One was all acrylic and I butt-joined the edges and used the recommended solvent cement. I was living in an apartment at the time and had minimal tools. It worked quite well but it was on the small side.  For my Essex I built a wooden framework and used the acrylic as one would use glass--fitting onto slots. There is a photo of my case somewhere on this site.  I think if you have a table saw and reasonable woodworking skills you should be able to make a case.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.50.36 AM.png

whoa thank you Ragove. yes i have a table saw. I think I am going to do it myself. There is a custom acrylic shop near me but it is expensive. I just dont know if I can get away with 1/8" acrylic over a 53" length or if I would have to use 1/4". If I use wooden framework 1/8" would be ok. also 1/4" slots would be to big.  those plans are awesome thank you. It clears it up for me.

8 hours ago, semorebutts said:

whoa thank you Ragove. yes i have a table saw. I think I am going to do it myself. There is a custom acrylic shop near me but it is expensive. I just dont know if I can get away with 1/8" acrylic over a 53" length or if I would have to use 1/4". If I use wooden framework 1/8" would be ok. also 1/4" slots would be to big.  those plans are awesome thank you. It clears it up for me.

I ordered my acrylic on-line for a reasonable price. There are a number of vendors who will cut and ship custom sizes.  I think i used 1/8th inch.

Ron

awesome job!   funnel starting to take shape  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 12/5/2017 at 9:58 AM, semorebutts said:

You can split the difference and get 3/16" acrylic.  I used 1/8" for my Badger case and though the longest dimension is only 30" or I can definitely see a slight bowing in it.  I tried purposely to get reflections in the glass on the picture so you can see the difference.  IMG_20171207_185151.thumb.jpg.1f8d61b2d701e4ea46034711a40ac7da.jpg

The acrylic on the Tiger model is about 28"  or so long and is 3/16".  No bowing and very rigid.

IMG_20171124_142948.thumb.jpg.d473ec259553b7a98e6a48206f234f58.jpg

Edited by shane762

2 hours ago, semorebutts said:

Those 7 pipes took 2 hours. So all 47 should take like 8 hours

When I have small PE to fit I use a drop of PVA to tack down the part first, then go over all of them with CA glue. This way you can manoeuvre the part into position more easily. I've had no problems with either glue not sticking.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

8 hours ago, semorebutts said:

Those 7 pipes took 2 hours. So all 47 should take like 8 hours...

Well then, you are way quicker than me. Last week I did 1.5 tripple AA guns in 2.5 hours ... I have 27 in total ... about a week and a half work I'd say. Just couldn't finish the job then as I got meself a nasty flu, sneezing and coughing doesn't seem to help much with those parts. So don't sweat it. You just get to spend a wee bit more time on your model!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

sweet!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi everyone. The funnel went from enjoyable to a nightmare fast.  Suddenly every piece i try to add does not fit right and has to be modified. 

If you look at the right winch You will see I had to file a whole side flat so the crane will fit into the hole next to it

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.03075591047aea75c2a3fe5964d07740.JPG

you will see the railing had to be cut short so the canopy could be offset to the platform so brass deck in the first photo would fit

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.b10c8bfa7f401d4896469a0c2181ca26.JPG

a notches cut out and joyces under this deck cut just to fit in place

IMG_1269.thumb.JPG.0f76e1766807a18a19c1cbb9aef341ea.JPG

so all i got done was gluing this hatch door

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.aacd8f3088550e5201a6c31acf5cf089.JPG

this railing

IMG_1271.thumb.JPG.ab4a91649fad4f0782f622a7aedf84d6.JPG

these two hatches

IMG_1272.thumb.JPG.5e0ffbab2105747e49e7cbd9ba357809.JPGIMG_1273.thumb.JPG.8f201ed43c6a406a9b9f54ed016c13b7.JPG

And the two cranes

IMG_1274.thumb.JPG.5cf2ea25d4df1fca20d321281d32ad07.JPG

53 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

If you look at the right winch You will see I had to file a whole side flat so the crane will fit into the hole next to it

I think you glued the winches on too close to the crane. The inside of the winch should probably be closer to the funnel, according to my 3D Bismarck book. There's quite a bit of space to move it without hitting anything else, though it's most likely too late now :( :

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4389.JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Sometimes dry fitting helps :o:huh: I know it's a wee bit late, but try it. It helped me with some tricky bits on Musashi. Especially superstructures are a blast ...

It's strange, though, that the other one doesn't need any correction ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It is strange Cog. I realized nothing fit right on the dry fits. I guess ill just move on but that was so frustrating. I just hope theres no more of that  I think that was the first time with fit issues on this ship. 

Moving on to somthing I hated in the beginning but actually love to do now, bending railings!

IMG_1276.thumb.JPG.c615468595d1ab953d5dea974c4cb898.JPG

the funnel is coming along nicely,  in spite of the issue ;)    looks really good.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: