Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

10 hours ago, semorebutts said:

Next is to paint the funnel gloss black

There wouldn't have been any gloss paint on the real ship, matt would be better but semi-gloss will have to do.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Im just using the gloss black under the flat aluminum. I see others spraying gloss black before an aluminum color. Maybe for shading?    

Heres the semi gloss. I'll wait 24 hours then spray flat aluminum over this. What a pain in the butt peice to paint though. 

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.baa2f3b792fb30cbae7602c76079bac5.JPG

shadows,  nooks,  and crannies!   it looks good though.......even coat  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The gloss black is the recommended undercoat/primer for ALCLAD2 lacquer paint for a lot of their metallic paints, if you plan on buffing out the metal paint. If spraying their stainless steel paints, the recommendation is a dark gray gloss.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, semorebutts said:

Im up so early she wanted to be next to me but didn't want to wake up yet

Can't imagine why ... ;) She's a lot smaller than our dog, but they're all the same ... need to be near the boss

Nice work on the hanger mate

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Gee I like the PE, much more detailed than what I've got :):(. I only have the stuff from GPM - three small cards of detail specific to Bismarck, plus railings, portholes and two types of gun.

Scott - after using both Ponto's and Mk1 PE sets, which do you think is the better for accurate fit and design? I'll be building either HMS Hood or Yamato (from Card) for my next model, and I'd like an opinion before I buy the PE.

I know you've had a problem or two with some of the PE not fitting properly. What do you put that down to? Poor design, poor fitting instructions, wrong PE for your particular kit (I notice that there are different sets for brands of kit, Tamiya, Trumpeter etc), or "pilot error"?

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hey Danny, after using both MK1 and pontos I would recommend pontos. I am deciding on the same for my missouri... I will be getting pontos for the missouri. 

Don't  get me wrong they are both great, but Pontos is better in every way if you ask me.  Pontos is better designed, more accurate,  more complete and just easier to understand and assemble. 

The only fit problems I've had were from MK1 though I suppose it could be my fault. I dont know if this is good or bad but Pontos is also more involved and  intricate as apposed to MK1 which is simplified.   If you were  to use everything Pontos has in the kit it would be overkill. 

I guess what  it comes down to is how much detail you want and how involved you want to get. With Which ever you choose to the average person  it would look incredible.  For me though its pontos all the way.  

Any more questions feel fee to ask Danny!

Edited by semorebutts

Scott, the PE is already enhancing your build. Don't rush; make sure you put it where it needs to be. Awaiting your next paint session.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

10 hours ago, semorebutts said:

after using both MK1 and pontos I would recommend pontos

Thanks Scott, Ponto's it will be. Now I've only got to work out where to buy them from. Any particular sites you know of?

Cheers, Danny

I still have to find the cheapest site for Pontos Danny.  BNA world or freetimehobbies or megahobby.  I dont know yet, there are alot of sites.  I have to buy both the detail set and the advanced add on set.  I'm looking at around $450 for all.

Edited by semorebutts

have you checked out Eduards      http://www.eduard.com/

really nice work there Scott........the added detail is fantastic!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

10 hours ago, cog said:

I got mine from E-bay Australia (!!!) Was the cheapest ... (BNA Model World)

That was the first place I looked, I've bought lots from them before (great service :)). Unfortunately they don't have anything in 1/200 scale :(.

Popeye, thanks for the link to Eduard's. After looking at what's available I think my next build will be HMS Hood, plenty of PE in 1/200 :).

Cheers, Danny

3 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

That was the first place I looked, I've bought lots from them before (great service :)). Unfortunately they don't have anything in 1/200 scale :(.

Popeye, thanks for the link to Eduard's. After looking at what's available I think my next build will be HMS Hood, plenty of PE in 1/200 :).

HMS Hood as in plastic or card ...

Did you have a look at NorthStarModels? For certain parts I shop there, bought anchors (resin) from them because neither the kit nor the upgrade set did have any good ones. Another interesting site is master-model.pl, l'arsenal, white ensign ... so many choises :) They do not all have full detail up sets, but are sometimes quite practical for parts. Maybe Fly Hawk has a good set for the Hood ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...