Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

Scott, have you ever tried using my "tiny drop or two of PVA glue" trick yet? Trust me, it works a treat for pieces like that. Use the PVA on each end, let it dry, then use CA on ALL the legs. The PVA will hold enough on brass to do the job, and you can re-position the part if needed before it sets.

I just have to watch out for glue flowing down to the clothes pin making it part of the Bismarck. Maybe hold a paper towel between PE and clothes pin to obsorb any glue?

Use some car or furniture wax on the peg, and let it soak in well. CA won't stick to the wax. Do some experimenting first.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

experimentation is all part of the game  {Danny knows ;) } 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I tried the pva glue technique that Danny had mentioned and it worked like a dream, Thanks Danny!

Today I continue to construction of the main mast.  The first thing to do is make sure the two pieces to be joined are plumB.  It took 30 minutes of fiddling but finally, its plumB. 

IMG_1815.thumb.JPG.e2d098b267f6262d68a9b1432d694bf9.JPGIMG_1816.thumb.JPG.639bcaa0dd7905e06030ba6aea28dbdb.JPG

looks plumB enough for me!  Now to touch a tiny drop of glue without moving it out of plumB  and letting the  capillary action do it's thing. 

IMG_1817.thumb.JPG.ba82bc0082bfa23404bc2fdce8d48ef0.JPG

next come these two pieces. I do not know what they are called.  Joices? braces? Rafters?  Whatever they are they are now glued in place. IMG_1820.thumb.JPG.708b7cabd605568c97b628f9064b024b.JPG

Hmmmm. Not called into work yet?? Thats odd. :huh:  So I am going to cautiously continue. 

Outstanding.

It's work like this that reminds me of my dear Mother and how when I was young and lived at home, she always thought it necessary and proper to come along and "dust" my models for me when I wasn't looking. Would always find little pieces broken off and laying beside my models. :)

If you breathe too hard around parts this tedious, they will fall off. 

No call into work today either?!? So the mast continues with the the 3rd of 3 fazes starting today. 

I start with the crows nest. With The joints taped shut I dab some thin glue on the inside. Then add the wheel with medium glue. 

IMG_1826.thumb.JPG.47324561e94764875d6544612649e1f4.JPGIMG_1831.thumb.JPG.b1213e6d5757af4e972218e3e4641376.JPG

a few pieces start to go onto the mast also. 

IMG_1832.thumb.JPG.cd763d9aff1d642dd050d5c0ac941bdb.JPGIMG_1834.thumb.JPG.eb9a0c44bc82f443d8a4ac83c7fad1e8.JPG

thats all for now. 

look'in really nice so far :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

as much as I detest working in the snow......that's a pretty scene.    you have me curious......what do you do for work?   we got over 20 inches in my neck 'o the woods......where do you hail?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I remember these late season snow scenes well when I look at yours.

Will never forget bringing my Mother from Florida to my house on top of a mountain in West Virginia. It was in April, and she was shocked as we drove up the steep mountain path to my home through what seemed like a tunnel as the tree canopy was covered with snow as seen in your picture. It was her first visit to my home there. 

Popeye, I work for a Dept of public works as a heavy equipment operator. 20 inches here too. 

CDW, I know what you mean. The beauty stopped me dead in my tracks, I had to take a photo. Then I shut the machine off and it was soo quiet, just the sound of snow falling it was so peaceful. 

Edited by semorebutts

That is the thing I love about snow, not only is it beautiful when it first falls, but how it seems to absorb all the sound. Makes the world seem so peaceful!

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

it can be very interesting when the wind is involved.......I had a 5 inch well in the middle of my driveway,  and over two feet where the cellar doghouse is.  I only have a small snow blower......took a bit of doing to get through it.   cleaned up another 2-3 inches this morning and made paths for Gibbs in the front lawn.  my neighbor on the third floor spent part of the mid day at our house.  he lost his keys.....thought he locked them in his car.  when he was able to get into the car,  he found that they weren't in there.......must have lost 'em in the snow.   the plow guy came this morning......just took Gibbs out for an afternoon jaunt.......found them in the snowbank,  along the back of the parking lot.  he'll be pleased  :) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

If you hadn't said anything, we wouldn't have known they were upside down.   I, for one, don't know how anyone can work with those parts at that scale.  To me it's amazing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

looks perfect to me........there's still something missing though.  anything fit on that tab?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK I give up!!!!!!!! How can you tell that the railings are upside down? They look the same to me even when I turn my computer upside down or stand on my head!:default_wallbash:

Tired Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I finally copied the pictures into a picture viewing program and had to blow them up to the point of almost being pixelated before I could see what you were talking about! I am almost certain that if I had not been looking for it, or if it had been painted already, I would have still missed it! I hope on my upcoming project that I will be able to keep my mistakes that invisible!  

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You call that a major mistake?

The stripes only extended up into the superstructure for a couple of months in early 1941. Then they were painted out from the deck shear up and shortly after were eliminated all together! SO many changes in so short a time frame who could say what she looked like almost day by day? In fact I think i saw a movie taken of the wreck stern and the Swastika is clear to see on the deck even though it was supposedly removed or painted over prior to heading out to sea. I think the idea was to make her look more like the Prince Eugen. That and the sailing positions of the two ships worked to confuse Admiral Holland just long enough that almost all of the shots fired by the Hood were fired at the Prince Eugen, not the Bismark.

Mistakes or otherwise this is a fantastic build.

Lou  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey