Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

The nightmare continues...  it's my  own fault though.  I totally forgot that I wanted to display this side with the plane coming out of the hanger with it wings folded in. So I glued the doors shut with Tamiya thin cement.  Then of course after it fully dried I remembered the doors are supposed to be open.  So I had to  rip open the doors and start over. It was a mess 

here  is the result with the door finally open 

IMG_1328.thumb.JPG.e86619b5b4f8a05ab9b3c8c69e1f242f.JPG

Here you can see where the hinges are, the mess that the glue made

IMG_1329.thumb.JPG.f2a1e370ca66a7fe5a33f873a75d7e28.JPG

I just noticed I have to sand away those 2 circles on the back of the door also

Edited by semorebutts

darn injection pins.......they show up anywhere,  don't they?!?!?!?! ;)    happens to the best of us though..... do something one way,  then realize that you wanted to show it differently.   might be just as well to remove the door to repair it,  seeing that the hinge area needs to be cleaned up.   looks minor.......you can fix it easily ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yep, running after all those tiny bits flying around, trying to give them an even spray and pressure them back to their respective places on the table ;) It's a nice challenge though ... even without your spray paint the parts look real good!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Scott,  Looks super. I do have question... is one of the hangers missing the "rail"? See pic.

IMG_1345.thumb.JPG.60c54283b91d72e82fe0a6d5350f99df.JPG.60032b48086f97256545d4bbca21e162.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mtaylor!  Apparently that's how it is supposed to be.  I found myself double checking and triple checking the instructions because it just seemed wrong. What's even stranger is  what's even stranger is there are two of those PE catwalks and they are identical. I guess ill find out where the other one goes in time. 

IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.71a1ca1f6c38fc30c1f4a0bb34a5dd7f.JPGIMG_1349.thumb.JPG.3f86483dcc2512d281cdf16b35d58f20.JPG

OH  also guys I still have one more thing to airbrush. Flat aluminum on the smoke stack. 

That's good to hear, Scott.  Glad it's not a lost part.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

"I guess ill find out where the other one goes in time. " Probably where you would expect it to go. I'd advise you to go through the instructions, it would be a pitty if you got everything painted and ready and you had to add a final detail which the set forgot to include in the instructions ... Sometimes you can see it in the general overview pictures ... Better safe than sorry mate

Merry X-mas

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello,

I just checked my fotos of the ship and it doesn't have a railing on the starboard side.

I will doublecheck but I don't think it has a railing on the port side either. I have here a book of actual pictures of the Bismarck

and one of probably the ultimate model of the ship, built by a Herr J. Kaiser who spent more than 10 years building a model

in 1:100 scale.

Regards Henry

I realize that you are interested mostly in making a good looking model and so far you have certainly succeeded.

Bismarck had 4 boats on top of the large hangar and there the outer boats definitely had an outside platform with railings

on them.

Sorry to be a pest, but just thought you'd like to know. 

nicely done Scott........looks like you had more than what you showed,  to paint.    well done  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

If it's any help - and don't take it as gospel as there are quite a few errors in the kit design - but my Bismarck has a catwalk on both sides. Your screenshot shows a catwalk, and that's on the starboard side - the bows of the boats were loaded forward.

However, my 3D Bismarck book shows the port side one with NO catwalk :

IMG_4447.JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I am just going  to leave the catwalk as it is.  Its on the side of the ship that will be facing the wall anyway when i display it. This seems like  it could be a very debatable topic though. 

I really hate this flat aluminum paint.   It is anything but flat. There are so many sparkles in it, it almost looks like glitter.  I am hoping that if I go heavy on the shading it will hide a lot of the sparkle.  You can't really see the sparkle in the photo but trust me it is really really sparkly.  Or  does anybody know a way to get rid of sparkles. Maybe a matte varnish or something?

IMG_1351.thumb.JPG.59880768110e37b3aa6902e50cf7c36a.JPG

Edited by semorebutts

11 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

does anybody know a way to get rid of sparkles

Maybe use a paint that has a much finer flake? Or try mixing light grey into it?

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

1 hour ago, semorebutts said:

I was thinking about mixing it or spray matte varnish over it. Or the shading/weathering

Matt varnish won't change the size of the flake, actually it won't make much of a difference at all.

As it turns out Bismarck originally had the catwalks and railing.These were removed at her one and only refit.

So depending on the time frame either would be correct.

Henry

Hah, no wonder there was a bit of confusion :).

Cheers, Danny