18th Century Long Boat by alde - Model Shipways - Small

35 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

That is incorrect. It is the other way around. Take a long look at BobF's log. It will help you a lot. 

Steve

Steve, when I looked at BobF''s log it was like a light was lit. It's much more clear now. I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Wow, That scale sure looks familiar.

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Be sure that the forward edge of the garboard strake starts about 1/8'' forward of the scarph joint.  I feel this strake is the most important of the strakes to be installed.  I found out the hard way after installing three bottom strakes that my garboard strake was too far forward.  I had to remove them and start over.  You are coming along nicely on your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

1 hour ago, Ryland Craze said:

Be sure that the forward edge of the garboard strake starts about 1/8'' forward of the scarph joint.  I feel this strake is the most important of the strakes to be installed.  I found out the hard way after installing three bottom strakes that my garboard strake was too far forward.  I had to remove them and start over.  You are coming along nicely on your build.

Thanks for the tip Ryland. I will be doing this tomorrow and will follow your advice. I have a feeling I'll know a whole lot more about planking a hull when it's done.

Al

Current Builds:

Al, 

Did you get any invitation to PSSM's meeting last weekend. This meeting took place at Foss Waterway Seaport.

I had my longboat on display.

Make sure to contact Floyd for the mailing list.

However, your longboats planking is coming along nicely after the corrections.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

22 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Al, 

Did you get any invitation to PSSM's meeting last weekend. This meeting took place at Foss Waterway Seaport.

I had my longboat on display.

Make sure to contact Floyd for the mailing list.

However, your longboats planking is coming along nicely after the corrections.

I thought I was on the mailing list but have not seen anything. I would love to get together with you guys. I'll PM Floyd again. 

Al

Current Builds:

Fitting the first garboard stake went pretty well. It sure is a challange. There is a lot of trial and error in bending and twisting the wood to conform to the hull. The edge bending was not as bad as I thought it would be and the second one went easier than the first. At this point I have both garboard strakes and one up from the garboard strake on the port side. I don't have pictures of that because it's covered in clamps and I just had enough for the day.

59e7df06ba13a_FileOct1810911PM.thumb.jpeg.33fabf17e15b386642785172be583f68.jpeg59e7decc87f7c_FileOct1813508PM.thumb.jpeg.2190883038ac441ecfcdf220f0565928.jpeg59e7dea458020_FileOct1810911PM.thumb.jpeg.885a54b82a7ce2d68b0a996f07413588.jpeg

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

One method I've used a lot for edge-bending planks is to cut a scrap piece into a gentle curve, around which I can bend the plank. I find that it helps to have a solid curve to press up against, it lessens the potential for the plank to buckle or form a sharp curve in one place. This form doesn't have to be true to the final curve, just something roughly similar. I clamp it down first and then bend the plank around it. This is roughly what you're already doing in bending the second plank around the garboard, just more standardized since you won't be able to do that every time.

From what I can tell, you've definitely got the right idea and it's looking good.

Thanks Cathead. I think you have a great idea. This kit is a great lesson in planking for sure.

Al

Current Builds:

Thanks for stopping in and all the likes.

I'm sure glad there is nobody depending on my boat building skills to stay afloat in the ocean. The turn around the stern has given me the most problems so far. You sure can't just plunk down planks with this kit. They all take careful fitting and bending. Mine are far from perfect but I am learning more with each plank. I think it will get easier from here.

File Oct 19, 10 53 17 AM.jpeg

File Oct 19, 2 42 54 PM.jpeg

File Oct 19, 2 42 04 PM.jpeg

File Oct 19, 2 41 13 PM.jpeg

Al

Current Builds:

That looks good. Don't forget to taper the planks at the bow. I do not see any tick marks in that area. You will soon run out of room. 

Steve

Steve, Thanks for looking in and keeping me on the right path. I will run tick marks on the frames and up the stem. The proportional divider sure makes it easy. It's a great tool.

Al

Current Builds:

Al,

Steve is right, you certainly need to start the tapering of the planks.

But overall it's looking good.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

42 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Al,

Steve is right, you certainly need to start the tapering of the planks.

But overall it's looking good.

It amazes me how many twists and turns hull planks take. I hope I still have enough room to fit 7 more planks a side without ending up with daggers.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

As long as you line off the hull you should be fine. About the first 4-5 bulkheads the taper starts at the bow. There is also some tapering needed at the stern. Again- Bob F illustrates a good tutorial. Hope this helps. 

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

2 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

As long as you line off the hull you should be fine. About the first 4-5 bulkheads the taper starts at the bow. There is also some tapering needed at the stern. Again- Bob F illustrates a good tutorial. Hope this helps. 

Steve

I did line off the Stern too. The bow planks will narrow to about 2/3 of there original width. Not too bad I guess. After I removed the plank I installed today I put it up for the day. I think I was just to tired to concentrate. It's not fun when it's like that.

Al

Current Builds:

I decided that I was not happy with the way my planks were looking so I removed them. It gave me a chance to do a better job fairing the hull while they are off too. I did learn a lot from the planks I did so it should go better this time. I plan to use the tick marks on all frames right from the beginning and using the tape method to take off the shape to edge bend the planks. I'll take pictures as I go and keep the log up to up to date. I considered cutting the planks from wider stock but decided I would continue on with the edge bending as Chuck suggests. I think it's a good way to go as long as it's done right and care is taken to put enough bend into the planks so they lay right. I think if they are bent and shaped properly they will not need much clamping and will just look better.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

Al

Current Builds:

That's a tough decision, but I think you'll be happy with the results. Edge bending is a useful skill to practice in any case. And in an open boat, the planking job is especially visible so the extra work to improve it really pays off. 

1 hour ago, Cathead said:

That's a tough decision, but I think you'll be happy with the results. Edge bending is a useful skill to practice in any case. And in an open boat, the planking job is especially visible so the extra work to improve it really pays off. 

It was a tough decision but I want to learn to do things the right way. My goal is to really become good at this ship building thing and graduate to a large kit project and eventually a plank on frame frigate. I'm a long way from that but won't get there without learning from my mistakes.

Al

Current Builds:

I love your work philosophy. Good choice to rip out and redo. I actually planked mine twice. First time I ruined it with treenailing and model expo sent me replacement parts so I could do it all again. :-) It's a painful decision to redo something but it's always worth it in the end. 

Steve

18 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

I love your work philosophy. Good choice to rip out and redo. I actually planked mine twice. First time I ruined it with treenailing and model expo sent me replacement parts so I could do it all again. :-) It's a painful decision to redo something but it's always worth it in the end. 

Steve

That may be the most important thing I've learned following this website.  Do-overs aren't a sign of failure, they're a sign of wisdom--or something like it.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Back when I was a draftsman working for the Navy the engineer I worked for would tell me "Never draw more in one day then you can erase the next". His advice is as good today as it was back then.

Al

Current Builds:

Not much progress but in the spirit of keeping the log up to date this is where I am. I really took my time bending and fitting the first plank. It's defenety bent in 3 dimensions and laid down with very little clamping needed. Maybe I'm getting a handle on it now but I'm sure taking my time. I'm going really slow. I hope I can get the other side to go as well.

File Oct 27, 1 18 57 PM.jpeg

Al

Current Builds:

There is no race , take your time and enjoy the build .A hobby is for relaxing and having fun :cheers:

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

I found this interesting photo of a rigged longboat and hope it's OK to post it here.

unnamed.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

If you're thinking ahead to rigging, you might enjoy this thread I started on sail design for this kit. The short version is, when I started thinking about adding sails and really looked at the rigging setup in the kit, parts of it made no practical or functional sense. It's based on a real contemporary model, so there's a strong argument that it's correct even if it doesn't seem like it, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the rig as given could function on a real craft, so made some changes to match my opinion on a working rig.

2 hours ago, Cathead said:

If you're thinking ahead to rigging, you might enjoy this thread I started on sail design for this kit. The short version is, when I started thinking about adding sails and really looked at the rigging setup in the kit, parts of it made no practical or functional sense. It's based on a real contemporary model, so there's a strong argument that it's correct even if it doesn't seem like it, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the rig as given could function on a real craft, so made some changes to match my opinion on a working rig.

Eric,

Your thread is a great read. Lots of good information and something to think about. The traveler above the tiller makes perfect sense. Chuck also makes a good argument. I'll have to give it some thought and maybe do some more research on the subject. I wish the above photo was more clear but it seems to show the tiller above the traveler.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Eric, looking more closely at the photo of the life size long boat it appears that the main sheet is not even attached to the traveler. It looks like it's attached to the gunwale just aft of the ball on the tiller handle. That would also be a logical attachment point.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

So far so good on the second try at planking this little hull. It's not perfect but is looking much better than the first try. I am edge bending and twisting the planks as much as possible before glueing them. They need much less clamping than before and seem to follow the lines better. It's going very slow though. Only 2 planks a day lately.

File Nov 03, 11 19 04 AM.jpeg

File Nov 06, 1 01 23 PM.jpeg

File Nov 06, 2 37 28 PM.jpeg

File Nov 06, 2 37 47 PM.jpeg

File Nov 06, 2 38 02 PM.jpeg

Al

Current Builds: