Ship paintings

Vegaskip

Still enjoying these a lot!  The water in the painting of HMS Faulknor reminds of Carl Evers' work.  

Thanks again for sharing.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Really nice Jim, once again I love the atmosphere.  Your Borei made me shiver :)

I also didn't get a chance to comment on your minseweepers in the Forth, the skyline looks very familiar - used to spend quite a bit of time running up and down the firth in the more recent (but defunct) River class minesweepers (Spey and Helmsdale) but still have the views of Berwick Law and Bass Rock etched into my brain.

Also had the opportunity to live for a time in Seattle in the Pac Northwest - you really captured the spirit of the place which has such beautiful scenery,and yes, you are right to put orca's in as they show themselves not infrequently.  (@ Nils if you're reading this, the mountain range in the background are the Cascades, not the Rockies which are further inland)

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason. The sweepers you mention were a bit after my time. It was mostly 'Tons' in my day, and they. Would be based at HMS LOCHINVAR (Port Edgar) opposite Rosyth.

Her is another with the Edinburgh sky line.

These are the ship served on by Edward George Bourne, (stoker).
L to R HM Ships Iron Duke, Galatea, Icarus, Centurion, and in the distance Indefatigable in which he was unfortunately killed at Jutland.
This was a commission for a lady who wanted it for her children, his descendants. The skyline of Edinburgh in the background 
Acrylic on canvas 30"  X 14"
Jim

image.jpeg

love that one Jim,

a wonderful view and quite busy in the bay....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Jason

I also live in the Puget Sound area and I  was thinking that the mountains/water/Orca's looked more like the area around the Puget Sound entrance in which the mountains would probably be the Olympics. You can't really see much of the Cascades until you get much further into the sound closer to Seattle.

Either way it is a very accurate looking picture and I can think of several places around here that still look like that even today. I have had the privilege of being followed by Orca's twice, (Two different times) across the sound while traveling by boat, and it is quite the thrill to watch several animals that are larger than the vessel you are riding in sweep by less  than twenty feet away! 

Jim

Pleas keep up showing your paintings, It is becoming a morning fix for me to looks and see what you will grace us with for the day. 

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks for that Lou. I've never been up that way, in fact I haven't been on the West coast at all unfortunately. So the location for the painting is made up from memories of films or TV programs of the area.

I've  still got lots more paintings I can post. It is really nice to get comments and 'meet' people from all over.

here is the watercolour sketch for the Mellon painting which is acrylic on canvas.

jim 

image.jpeg

Edited by Vegaskip

Jim, you really capture the "feel" of the place and time in your paintings. Like Lou and many others have said, I really enjoy viewing your handiwork. It's a great gift.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jim

Thank you for sharing.

The Mellon is stationed here in Seattle, (Not far from where I live) but the painting looks like areas in Alaska and northern British Colombia. Just another aspect of your talent. Not only do you depict the ship and sea/weather state but the location where as you say, you may never have been and make it all look "right".

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Jim, got any other Phantom paintings? I spent 20 years flying them for Uncle Sam's Air Force from the 70s to 91. Love the bent wing birds.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jim

Sorry I missed your reply a while ago.

But thanks for the picture.

I should recognise it certainly, I worked for a while in Priddy's Hard, Gosport side as you say 'at the back' of Portsmouth Harbour.

My window looked out directly onto the redundant ships, up for sale or waiting scrap, mostly RFA's and the like.

Certainly brightened our day when the SBS used them to train in ship assaults, air-borne and sea-borne.

Also the Vanguard trying to get a last pint in the Still & West reminds me of the photo still hanging in the pub.

I'm still enjoying seeing your work immensely, and your work rate is staggering.

all the best

Nick 

Some more gems, thanks Jim.

I note you depict HMAS Melbourne with the LWO2 radar update (LWO4 aerial); when were you aboard?  I served in her also and paid her off. :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)