Ship paintings

Vegaskip

4 hours ago, el cid said:

Love your work, but must ask if you ever sleep?

Cheers,

Keith

Usually quite well, I’m 79 next month, not very fit, Can’t walk very far,  got lots of free time ( especially in Lock Down ) I’m really lucky I have the ability to do this, and I enjoy it. This only took under 2 hours. Long may I be able to do it!.

Ps it’s also nice that other people enjoy it as well.

Jim

Jim; as always your paintings are wonderful. Knowing that you painted this in two hours is amazing!!!...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

You need to stay around and painting for at least as long as it takes me to catch up with you in age Jim. I'm 71 this month so you will have to keep painting for a number of years yet!:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Jim, what Lou said, though I'm just about a year older.  This is a remarkable body of work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, Vegaskip said:

New Zealand Star
Small sketch 9.5” X 7.5”

The picture didn't come up for me this time. Was it something I said?:unsure:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Came through that time, thanks Jim.  I hate to think that I missed one of your paintings, they are all that good, each in their own way. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Vegaskip said:

KAISAR-I-HIND (I) P&O Steamer

I know that some modelers consider such ships as hybrid abominations, but I think they represent a rather interesting transitional period in naval architecture -- too bad that they are not well-represented in the model kit world.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I don't think that such ships are an aberration - we probably will say the same thing about today's 'hybrid' cars one day. They represent the transition from one propulsion system to another with the associated uncertainties of reliability and availability of fuel supplies (before you could coal in Aden, the coal had to be shipped there first). Having both modes of propulsion increased the safety at sea and the probability that you actually got from A to B.

I love this transition period (in ship-building history) because it shows the introduction and progress of engineering and the (cautious) technological optimism of the time. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I'm inclined to agree with you both, as a child one of my favourite plastic airfix kits was Brunels SS Great Western the side wheel steamer with full rigging and went to Bristol to see SS Great Britain 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Every time I check in to see the new ones, I end up looking all he way through from the first one. I cannot believe you can do this kind of work in an afternoon. That's skill and confidence.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

I just finished a Blog about my father's WW2 days on armed trawlers. There was an incident involving a U-boat which was recorded by a war artist, Montague Dawson, and while I was researching him I came across your wonderful paintings. Great stuff! I had found some other  paintings of one of his boats, but not as atmospheric as yours!

The Dawson painting is sadly only black and white. Here's a link to the blog. the painting is towards the bottom of the page:

https://ww2trawlers.blogspot.com/p/hmt-imperialist.html

WOW! I just chanced upon this thread and it is exhilarating! Jim, to my eye you have captured the essence of being at sea.

If I can offer a comparison, a few years ago I was in an Alpine Museum and saw an exhibit of Gabriel Loppé paintings. This artist was completely familiar with his subject, including its most subtle nuance, and is able to convey it on canvas. A viewer is transported to the place and time. Your work is similar.

Thanks much for sharing.

17 hours ago, Balclutha75 said:

WOW! I just chanced upon this thread and it is exhilarating! Jim, to my eye you have captured the essence of being at sea.

If I can offer a comparison, a few years ago I was in an Alpine Museum and saw an exhibit of Gabriel Loppé paintings. This artist was completely familiar with his subject, including its most subtle nuance, and is able to convey it on canvas. A viewer is transported to the place and time. Your work is similar.

Thanks much for sharing.

Thanks for commenting. I’m glad you enjoy them.

Jim

Jim,

I really enjoy the atmosphere you create in your paintings.  Very enjoyable.

And I agree, that side profiles of boats and ships can sometimes get a bit boring. I'd much rather see the ship(s) 'working' than posing.

And these paintings are mostly done in 2 or 3 hours. Bob Ross would be jealous 😉

All the best,

Richard

Just added another painting to my collection..here is an original oil by Bill Larsen, Titled: Spirit of the Sea.

It looks great in my library.

IMG_9507.JPG

IMG_9505.JPG

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."