Hr. Ms. O16 by cog - FINISHED - Pacific CrossRoads - 1:350 - Resin & PE

Jan, I know. This however, is not the O16 which ran on a mine and sank, and later on got desecrated for it's metal ... I have merely built a resin kit, the manufacturer called  the O16, he could have used any number of the O-type sub class, even ea non-existing one. If some want to make a joke on how I can display the model, I'm fine with that. I have always called navy submarines cigars, since they look like it, and I'm not going to change that, no offense meant!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Carl, yes, of course displaying the model in pre war colors is a great idea. I did the same with the O19.  However my sentiments were different, ergo my choice of colors. She's looking quite nice.

I am awaiting the kit for Hr. Ms. Java from Pacific Crossroads. That's the cruiser my father was killed on during the battle of the Java Sea.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

No offence taken,  I know the model is not th actual ship, however.....looking at a modelof a ship with a history, I can't but think of that history. That's why I think the presentation of these ships should be done with some respect to the original. And yes, calling a sub a cigar isn't unusual, no problem with that.

Jan

Well, I have decided and ordered ... based on my idea for the Musashi. I will use a perspex tube on a wooden board, the sub mounted on clear perspex rods (2mm circumference). Ordered it Yesterday, hope to get it today ... we'll see how it works out. I have three tries before I need to re-order a tube ...

Carl

Yes Carl, it's always difficult with cases like these to make a viable choice in what color scheme to present our models. For me it was a fore-drawn conclusion to depict the O19 in her peacetime colors because that's when my father served on her. Those were the happy days for us and he loved that boat and crew.  He was promoted in January 1941 and was transferred to Hr. Ms. Java. Your motivation is to honoring the crew during their peacetime duty.

With my upcoming Java build I am not sure yet how to display her. I am toying with a diorama in her final battle with the JIN on February 27, 1942. Kust thinking mind you.

I like the plastic tube idea, that should look really nice. Had the same thought for the O19 model but then as a domed cover that sits on the display board.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Very nicely put together. I never tried to build a sub, for their shapes are not appealing to my eye. No sails, no masts, not even powerfull guns. But looking at your finished model, they do have certain... qualities.

Regarding displaying this finished beauty, did you consider something like this?

IMG_6773.JPG

Obviously, you dont have to do dio, it is just an example.

Edited by maaaslo
Added line

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Hello maaaslo,

Welcome to this build log, although, nearly at it's end ...

An impressive feat to get that done ... I do not think I have the skills to pull it off, though. I will try to do something which could look a like ... Thanks for sharing, much appreciated

Carl

i meant the whole idea of the cast acrylic enclosure, not the explosions and even the torpedo...

it should not be so hard to do it like that. it would most certainly be very easy to keep it dust free...lol

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

The explosion ... keep it dust free ... well yes, if it stays under water ;) Problem with casting is you can't get at it anymore, it's just a block. If I do the casting wrong, I won't even see the sub ... although, then I could say it is submerged in the North Sea  <lol>

Carl

Hi Carl, I understand your decision regarding encapsulating the O16 as first time endeavor.  I like the idea so much though that I am seriously considering doing that to mine. As you know by now I am going to display Hr. Ms. Java as a diorama and thus have to use polymer casting resin.  I am not familiar with this particular resin but have used the other resins and epoxies in aircraft repairs. I have done some research for my project and determined it to be a real no-brainer.  The biggest problem for me is to depict the sea as natural as possible, like waves, shell geysers etc.

I have pretty much decided to use Delvie's Plastics at www.delviesplastics.com here in the USA.

There are several youtube videos but the one from TAP Plastics seems helpful and they also have an e-book on line to read. www.tapplastics.com and for the youtube go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-FyIJF-CTo

Most is geared towards craft stuff with very little info on blue ocean water. I'll have to do some experimenting.

This is in no means to entice you in trying to encase your 80 Euro model but to give the readers a source for supplies.  I'm sure that hobby shops in Europe carry this kind of resin Polyester Casting Resin.

Right now my O16 model sits next and below the O19. She is smaller the O19's conning tower.

Cant send you a private message, my iMac's hard drive failed and is in for repairs. Just hope they can safe my data. Could not back-up after the hurricane.

Be good, stay safe and in good health,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Piet,

Thanks for the information. Although I'm not ready to put my model into a casting - by the way, a village where I used to live, Moordrecht near Gouda, has a shop which sells the casting resin - I am going to try with a model I purchased specifically for that purpose. You should look at Igor's ships in bottles. He has done one with cast resin with a colour(!). I'll try to find the buildlog for you.

Darn nuisance to loose your data. You've never made a backup (!?) That will be a big loss. Hope they can retrieve most of it if not all. Take heart, the development in the area of recuperating data has gone forward too, and results are getting better.

Carl

Yes, Igor is an artist, very impressive work. My external drive saved everything up to hurricane Irene when it failed but not the iMac. That failed just a few days ago. If my IT guy cannot retrieve it then a lab most likely can for $1,200, which id a no go for me. There's only a bunch of photos and quite a bit of research work that I'll miss and have start from scratch.

As soon as I get my confuser back I'll send you the link to a bunch of dioramas I received from Boris, from Pacific Crossroads. Some really awesome stuff people can do with this polymer stuff.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• The title was changed to Hr. Ms. O16 by cog - FINISHED - Pacific CrossRoads - 1:350 - Resin & PE