King of the Mississippi by drobinson02199 - FINISHED -- Artesania Latina - 1:80

Now all the railings are up, so I guess I really am getting close to the end.  What remains is the masts, some light rigging, and the deck ornamentation.

I particularly like the look of the bow and stern curved railings.

Regards,

David

All_Railings_Up.jpg

Bow Curve.jpg

Stern Curve.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Hi David.

That's a real nice looking model you have created there.

Is there no handrail around the rear black stacks.?

Finish in time before your next christmass gift model ? 4 days...

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Antony:

If you look at the third picture above your post, you'll see a semicircular guard on the inside of the third deck, which I assume was to keep passengers from getting close to the pipe.  That replaces the handrail at that point.

However, down on the second deck there IS a handrail and no internal guard, even though there would have been passengers and crew there who could get too close to the pipe.

I built it the way the model pictures and drawings show, but I suspect it's historically inaccurate on the second deck.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Another adaptation:  one issue with this kit is the lack of any spares, and in some cases (eyebolts), some serious parts shortages.  And in many cases, you get just enough wood, and you have to be careful to use it up efficiently.

When it came time to make the forward mast, I found that I had just enough of the right diameter wood -- but in two pieces!  Earlier cuts of that diameter had left me with two shorter pieces in place of one just barely long enough. My choices were to either use a smaller diameter, or do what I ended up doing -- which is to create a two-part mast.  Looks kind of interesting.  The mast in the picture isn't varnished yet.

Regards,

David

Mast.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

FINISHED!!

My build of King of the Mississippi is now complete.  Pictures attached.

Need to create a shelf for this in my office, and do a cleanup on the workroom.  Might start the next one (Amati Grand Banks) before I go away on the 6th for a week in the Carib.

Regards,

David

King 1.jpg

King 2.jpg

King 3.jpg

King 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Thanks, Chris.  I have some floating shelves that I use for models this size, and I'll put a new one up in my office for this model.  It will be on the same wall as three others I have built that are about this size.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hi David.

That has been one enjoyable build... I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Top of the class in workmanship.

With the mods you have made it's turned ot to be a real masterpiece.

Congratulations of your compleasion of the Mississippi King.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

nice looking model you've built here  ;)    I got this one for Christmas...haven't opened the box yet.   thanks for the head's up on the fit problems,  your log will come in handy when I tear into it  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lovely model, you should be proud.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 1 year later...