Hi from Colorado, USA

D_Mc

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dave McMahon and I have been building models since I was a kid.

I’m 66 now and have been a woodworker/cabinetmaker/draftsman for close to 40 years. I’m trying to retire this year and my dream is to build scale model wooden ships.

I just purchased the Caesar Roman bireme kit from Mantua and I can’t wait to get started. Hoping to pick up some tips and advice from you guys!

I’ve only built one wooden ship model before and it was so long ago I can’t remember what kind of ship it was. I still have it…can I possibly post a photo here and maybe someone can help identify it?

Looking forward to the future!

Thanks for being here!

D_Mc 

Dave:  Good to meet you even though it is through our computers.  I have just finished my first model "The Independence", and have just started by on second the "Endeavour".  Nice model, but  some misgivings regarding the model.  Only single hull planking, but it will turn out good.  Already glued in one part upside down.  Sort of like a carpenter cutting a sheet of paneling backwards.  I done that also.

Good luck on your hobby.

Ed Meyer,  from Oregon

:sign:

Greetings from Belgium

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

17 hours ago, Ed Meyer said:

Dave:  Good to meet you even though it is through our computers.  I have just finished my first model "The Independence", and have just started by on second the "Endeavour".  Nice model, but  some misgivings regarding the model.  Only single hull planking, but it will turn out good.  Already glued in one part upside down.  Sort of like a carpenter cutting a sheet of paneling backwards.  I done that also.

Good luck on your hobby.

Ed Meyer,  from Oregon

Hi Ed,

It's good to meet you too. Good luck with the Endeavour, it's a good looking ship. I too have glued things in backwards, upside down and in the wrong place!

But, there's always a solution... that's the victory of this hobby.

Take care,

D_Mc

Hey, Dave

Welcome to MSW. I'm a couple of years older and still working on retiring.  (Almost there!) Good luck on your build and on your retirement. 

Mark

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Hi Dave,

Welcome to MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, Estoy_Listo said:

Hey, Dave

Welcome to MSW. I'm a couple of years older and still working on retiring.  (Almost there!) Good luck on your build and on your retirement. 

Mark

Thanks Mark!

A buddy of mine who retired last year say's "retirement is ok but you never get a day off". 

I'm still looking forward to it. Good luck with yours too!

-Dave

Hi David, thanks for the welcome.

I'm finding a lot of good info all over the net. Especially, right here with lots of great info and good people willing to share their knowledge.  I've started my roman bireme kit last weekend and will begin planking the hull soon. Bending wood is something I'm unfamiliar with and will probably be posting looking for advice soon!

Thanks again!

-Dave

Hi Dave 

welcome to MSW , please start a build log in the kit section so we can follow along . There are many members with great skills that would surely help you along the way 

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

8 hours ago, Derek C said:

Hi Dave 

welcome to MSW , please start a build log in the kit section so we can follow along . There are many members with great skills that would surely help you along the way 

Derek

Hi Derek, thanks for the welcome!

I'll definitely look into starting a build log soon. I can't promise a very steady pace.

It may be days or weeks before I post any progress. 

I have a lot on my plate these days...

Thanks Again!

-Dave