La Renommee 1744 by ChrisLBren - 1/48 Scale

Looks great Chris.  Didn't you use pear on your Confederacy?  Where did you source this pear?  Is it swiss pear?  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hey Mike,

I did use Swiss Pear on Confederacy - the wood from this flitch of Swiss Pear is lighter which I prefer.  Quality wise both batches have been nice to work with.  I milled it a year ago and it hasn't darkened yet.  

I purchased it from these guys - great products and customer service.  

http://hearnehardwoods.com/

Edited by ChrisLBren

Hey Group,

I broke out my Proxxon MF70 to try some joints on some scraps- 5 minutes of work and here is the result.  Much tighter and SO much easier than chisels with better results.  I will need to be using this tool extensively on the keel parts, stem and stern and all of their respective notches - so will be bolting it down on my work bench tomorrow AM. 

Keel.JPG

Keel 2.JPG

12 minutes ago, druxey said:

Another model-maker has moved over to the Dark Side....

At least it wasn't a laser... that's really the dark side.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Milled joints have one problem - they are nearly invisible if not highlighted with a darker colour :) 

Welcome to the "how did I managed to survive without a mill" club!

On 3/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, ChrisLBren said:

Thanks for the feedback guys - its just going to get more difficult from here !!!

Interesting article I found re Naval 18th Century Decoration this morning.  

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.634.2179&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Wow - jackpot!! Interesting? To say the least!  Thanks, Chris!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

I hope you have another seat in the first row. Really nice start and I like tollow your build.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 7 months later...

Hy Chris, 

LaRenommeé is a permanent temptation on my bookshelf. I know her massivly overstretching my technical and craftman's abilitys - but she calls me to be build. So I'll have an interested look in here hoping you find a way to complete her. 

I'm far far away from your point in the project but started to struggle with the original J. J. Caffieri vs. J. Bodriout redesigned decoration.

Thanks for sharing your progress, 

Heinrich

Edited by Heinrich der Seefahrer

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects