Admiralty Models Closing and Sale

David Antscherl and I formed Admiralty Models over fifteen years ago to provide plans, support and products for those wishing to try their hand at scratch building. Along the way we have lofted several plans, published many books, hosted over a dozen workshops and offered timbering packages to that group of ship model makers whose dream it has been to build a fully framed model. We have truly enjoyed this experience and are very grateful for the level of support shown to us by the ship model community. All good things, however, must come to end and thus David and I have decided to close Admiralty Models. Ironically, our hobby business has been seriously reducing our personal hobby time.

To facilitate closing we will be reducing prices on our plans by 25%. This will deplete our inventory (hopefully). We will still keep our website www.admiraltymodels.com open as there is ship model making reference material and photographs there. But we won’t be selling any products. So, if you have been thinking of building a Swan or Echo fully framed or cross-sectional model, you may wish to purchase your plans while they are still available. Prices are as follows:

Swan plans (Mylar and USB drive) - $131.25 (regular $175)

Echo plans (Mylar and USB drive) - $93.75 (regular $125)

Masting and sparring plan (Mylar) for above - $37.50 (regular $50)

Postage: US $5, Canada $10, Overseas $22.50. No extra charge to combine items for shipping.

Ordering: PayPal payment to dvm27@comcast.net or check to Greg Herbert, 3739 Spring Lake Lane, Owings Mills, MD 21117

Admiralty Models will still conduct workshops if there is sufficient interest. If you have not attended one before please send me an e-mail and I’ll update our Master List.

David and I wish to thank Model Ship World and all of those who have supported Admiralty Models over the years. In addition we wish to thank Byrnes Model Machines, The HobbyMill and Syren Ship Models for their collaboration and support over the years.  Our little niche business has succeeded beyond our wildest expectations!

Greg Herbert and David Antscherl

www.admiraltymodels.com

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you for your commitment and dedication to our hobby.  Along with your books, publications, workshops, and presentations, you have been an inspiration to many current and former modelers and will continue to be for generations to come.  Now with all your free time it seems you have to come up with something else to do.  Hope you will share any future projects with us.  Now, I just have to get that PayPal spun up again😃

A big shout out to both you and David for your contributions, support and just good friends~!!!

Now, I just have to get my Swan class model 'Vulture' restarted.  I will now that my close friend Peter is starting his.  

Thank and keep us posted on your endeavors.              Duff in Middletown, CT

I wish to provide a big “Thank You!” to both you and David for making these plans, your books, and the workshops available to the market…it was your collective offerings that provided the “hook” for me as I discovered the scratch model shipbuilding community 6 months ago…I’m looking forward to my growth in the hobby, first with your Echo Cross Section kit, and ultimately a full ship build down the road.

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Greg and David-

Order already placed.  I am very grateful for all the two for your important contributions to the hobby.  While I am disappointed that you are closing admiralty models, I am very happy that you plan to continue your tremendous workshops.    I have learned a huge amount from them, highly recommend them, and plan to attend future ones.  I thought the one earlier this week was awesome.   

I do plan a full Echo build - just need to get the cross section done first.  At three years for an ~6" cross section, how long should the whole build take?

Thanks!

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

David and Greg,

Admiralty Models will be sorely missed,  I could not have progressed in my model building without the Plans,  Workshops,  Books,  and the many friendships that have developed from my knowing You both.  Thank You,  for many enjoyable years of fine model building. 

Bob Wescott

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

Whoa! This is sad news....I bought (and have yet to start on) the Echo cross section, and am right now about to head over hoping that Swan plans are still available for a future build.....a great service to the community and it will certainly leave a gap that no amount of wood filler can correct.....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Several years ago I attended a workshop after the Buffalo NRG meeting about how to build the cutter for a Swan class ship.  At the time, I was building Hannah, using Hahn's techniques.  In those 2 1/2 days I learned more than I had learned in the previous several years.  You gave me the confidence to take a blind leap and build a fully framed model.  I can never thank you gentlemen enough.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Just sent you a paypal payment for swan plans and masting plans. I tried to send a PM but it didn't go through.

Thank you for your great support towards this hobby and good luck in your future plans.

Just as a follow up question - might it be possible to get a wood list for a Swan framing package - just for future reference? I've ordered the plans, but I'm not sure if they come with a wood list or not and this would be very useful to have when I come to this project some time in the far future.....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I’ll post the wood list for the Swan framing and a Echo cross-section to our website over the weekend.

Thanks to all who ordered plans during our close out sale. I’m a bit overwhelmed by the response but will fill all your orders shortly.

Edited by dvm27
Addition

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

That's great - thank you Greg!

hamilton

As we are no longer providing Echo cross-section and fitting out packages or the Swan framing wood package we have decided to make these available for anyone wishing to pursue one of these projects. The information is provided free of charge and available on our website www.admiraltymodels.com.

I would be happy to provide a copy of the Echo cross-section plans, including shear and frames, Power Point build presentation and numerous photos of my model in progress. These are very large files and I will provide them on a USB thumb drive for $25, plus postage.

Thanks to all for the great response and helping me close out inventory. Now, back to Speedwell for me!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks again Greg!

hamilton

It is a relief to know that you are not leaving the hobby! Hope that means that Speedwell model and a book is coming sooner?

And I am lucky to have some hard currency - PE set for the Swan class :) Guess it will only grow in value over time!

No rush getting the Swan plans to me. It will be a long time before I can think about starting. Thanks also for the materials list.  What length should the 3" sheets be - 24", 36", something else?

Thanks.

Tried to send you a PM to check if I am on your workshop notice distribution list but the system tells me you cannot receive any more messages.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Hi Alan. The Master Admiralty Models workshop list mysteriously disappeared from my computer a couple of months ago. But we will post any new workshop information here and on our website.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I just found three of our 18' cutter plugs which we stopped selling years ago. They are resin cast and faint planking scores are indicated on one side. The most difficult part of building a plank on frame ships boat is making an accurate plug. This solves the problem for you. This 18' ships boat is clinker planked and full instructions are posted on our website http://www.admiraltymodels.com. Cost of the plugs are $50 plus $7 postage, US only please. If interested please send me an e-mail at dvm27@comcast.net.  Only one per customer!

DSCN7218.thumb.JPG.7dedf8510cecd09ca4e4154be3cc7ba7.JPG

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg....FYI...you need to delete some of your Private messages.   Your mailbox is full.   You wont be able to get any new messages until you delete some of your old ones.  

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you're asking, Ian. The fitting out instructions are fully illustrated with scale patterns for the items required.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...