Friskit Low Tack Masking Film

My wife the artist introduced me to this stuff.  I tried it out on a piece of raw basswood sheet and it produced very good results.  Easy to apply and cut.  Left a sharp edge after painting and removal.  Anyone have experience with this item and is there anything to watch out for when using it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QVBQBG/ref=twister_B01DTEDTEW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Were you using it with solvent or water based paint? I'm not sure how it work with a solvent based paint.

Good stuff as I recall but I haven't used Friskit in decades and back then it was for fixing masters for printing tech manuals.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I tried it. Gave up too.

1. Be careful when you trim the edges, it's easy to cut into the wood below.

2. I had some problems getting a good seal on soft or grainy wood. The stuff really isn't made to penetrate wood grain. You end up with the same problem as masking tape - wicking underneath.

3. That which does penetrate can get stuck down in the grain when you go to remove it.

Your mileage may vary.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Were you using it with solvent or water based paint?

I was using water based paints.

4 hours ago, mikiek said:

I had some problems getting a good seal on soft or grainy wood.

So far no problems with wicking on basswood.  I use the blunt end of an exacto knife handle to press it down well before applying the paint.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

• 9 months later...

Friskit is intended for use with airbrushes on flat surfaces. It works well for masking, but I would do some testing before expecting it to hold up to heavy paint flows from a brush. It's also quite expensive. Less expensive, although far from cheap, is 3M Fine Line tape, an automotive finishing product. It comes in widths down to 1/4", which is good for modeling. You can use the Fine Line tape for your edge and put regular (cheap) masking tape on the other edge when spraying.

One way to prevent wicking is to paint a coat of base color over the masking edge first before using the final color. Or even a coat of clear first. I'm surprised you got a good line with unsealed basswood. Good burnishing job.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Daler  Rowney makes a liquid masking product called Art Masking Fluid. I thinks it’s just RTV rubber. It behaves like rubber cement and smells like ammonia. paint it on and it resists  any paint that goes over it,  it dries fast then rubs off with your fingers very easily. It’s likely no good for sharp straight lines since it’s very gloppy but perhaps you could use blue tape as a pre-mask mask and get a straight line that way?  (Edit) and hey look! I just noticed there’s a tiny picture of a square rigged ship on the label!

image.jpg

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution