HMS Victory by William-Victory - Heller - PLASTIC - First ship build

Hi William/sailor

Period ships most certainly did have draught marks, please see my log for the HMS Sirius where I showed photos of the actual marks from the Sirius brought up from the wreck, unfortunately you have put them in the wrong place on the rudder but hey!!!

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I got a comment and had doubt myself if the yellow I was using was deep enough.

So I bought this Acrylic to use as a toner and it appears to be more rich and deeper.

The boat on the left has the toner treatment.

I also found some pictures of progress on the bow on my iPad.  After I get the chains on I am going to return to the Bow.

You can see the places where I used CA on the ropes. I started with black rope for the bowsprit rigging but I couldnt see the rope in tight spaces. So I used running rigging line instead. I may try to dye it black in the future.

IMG_0035.thumb.JPG.38737821757358a29e23abac73084cf8.JPG

IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.aedf665d9cf645ee5df4ebe2b8496c31.JPGIMG_0003.thumb.JPG.ed1f698e62e2715a4410f20b0c606f26.JPGIMG_0005.thumb.JPG.65da494fbaa08bb573dffb3b28646364.JPGIMG_E0008.thumb.JPG.2dc520f67dd1fe06808ad8e51a23b9c8.JPGIMG_E0010.thumb.JPG.8cef2481dd3de8b70858bf162c07e10a.JPGIMG_0011.thumb.JPG.f1fb7338dd846c982a9aaa4950ca3c00.JPGIMG_E0017.thumb.JPG.953e19da68207be43d0ffb0e606a6d1b.JPGIMG_0020.thumb.JPG.4efd22d3f045c3487c7989217648d140.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_E0007.JPG

IMG_E0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Edited by William-Victory
Removing duplicate images

Very nice details and excellent painting! She is coming along very well indeed! :D

While I do not recommend changing anything at this stage nor feeling bad about this, a couple of years ago, they discovered the actual coloring of Victory's hull and it was significantly different than the more common "bumble bee" appearance. See the link from HMS Victory's website here. Again, do not lose any sleep over the difference but I thought it might be an interesting read on her coloring.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

before you get too far on the dead eyes........I really hate to tell you this......but they are too short.....lanyard wise.  the spread between dead eyes should be 1 1/2 times the dead eye size.  if your using 5 mm dead eyes,  the lanyard spread should be something like 8 or 9 mm in between.   I went into my 1:96 Connie kit to give you an example.......the actual parts appear exaggerated,  but the rigging instruction sheet appears normal.

5a2eddc0ea7d2_hulldeadeyes.jpg.d10baf2fc5c42d2caccfd28f1d176e43.jpg

5a2edddaade13_topdeadeyes.jpg.25470fce6d6d4d9f5a86fa33cd77ec94.jpg

the appearance factor would be greatly improved,  if they were spread out more.   having used CA,  you may not wish to go through the change them.   you could cut the thread and drill out the holes.  I only say this because of the picture of them rigged on the sprue......it would be great if the model manufacturer created the sprues as a form of jig to do this.  I'm surprised that no one mentioned this earlier.....even me.   I'm not one to critique,  but I couldn't see you doing them all like that,  and then find out that they were wrong.  I hope someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

the presence of draught marks on the Victory has been done by other modelers on this site.  they were usually located on the stems....bow and stern.  I wouldn't remove them from the rudder....that would be very messy.  live and learn........no concern.  they are fine the way they are  ;) 

please...don't take offence......I mean well........you've done some nice work at the bow  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I did think the same thing too. That they are looking short.

Not sure what I am going to do from this point forward.  I really want the longer lanyards but I am so far along.

Below is the page from the manual.  The manufacturer suggested the lanyards done on the frame.

Under tension it looks like only 1:1 space (below)

IMG_0039.thumb.JPG.d4c6b076be883590591a0e755571df11.JPG

IMG_E0040.thumb.JPG.3569a64365462afaf07f873fc600b7cd.JPG

deadeyes-HMS-Victory.jpg

Edited by William-Victory
added an image

wow!   this is the first model that does this, you know.....never seen this before :wacko:   it's always been refreshing to see folks want to rig the shrouds on plastic kits.  

heck....even I have been daunted from doing it.  the initial worry was that the method would distort the masts.......I've never had to strengthen them by the use of metal rods.  yea......that's a sticky wicket.......what to do about the ones that are already cut from the sprue?!?!   what can be done for the ones still on the sprues?

you could cut both sides of the sprue box and lengthen them,  to widen the spread.   just depends if you want to go through the hassle.  kinda feel bad bring this to light :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

it's always been refreshing to see folks want to rig the shrouds on plastic kits.  

heck....even I have been daunted from doing it.  the initial worry was that the method would distort the masts.......

I started work on the bow again while I contemplate what to do.  I ordered some 4mm walnut dead-eyes. The kit dead-eyes (below) don't have a groove for the shrouds to center in either. So I expect problems when I tighten a shroud that it wont slip off the dead-eye under tension.

I flicked one of the yards on the sprue and immediately decided I need resin yards. The other option is to only rig the standing rigging?

IMG_E0045.JPG.08dd00f7ef80ae7cf8aab551b41e00e2.JPG

Victory.jpg.ac36c90cb3053d77356f9a0e0197e5ab.jpg

Hello William, was nice to catch up with your build :-)

For the missing side entry port - most probably the historical correct version - take the longer iron :-)

Do not worry too much for the lanyards being shorter than advised. As long as you manage to do a clean build :-)

Did you already try to fix the shrouds on the deadeyes the way that Heller suggests? Looks quite difficult, try already now to have enough time to find a good technic or a alternative way for that.

For the broken yard take wood, resin os not a good replacement as too brittle.

And for the draught marks, here is a picture of the ones of 'Royal George', sank 1782. Draught marks X, X and III. Mounted on a textile-covered board.
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/63420.html

All the best, Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Thanks for the clarification on the chain.  I think Alumilite has glass filled resin for structural strength. I'm using the kit resin which I am sure is too brittle.

I'll try the glass/resin and stress it to see its strength.

I still have doubts about its aging ability though.

Already ordered walnut deadeyes.  I only have the Forward Starboard side with finished chains so changing to wood is still doable.

Making a mold below.... and then realized... its stuck to my desk.

IMG_E1265.thumb.JPG.2655d90b3480303de3e96947abe35501.JPG

So. Good morning!

My dead eyes came in yesterday and I jump right in to try a set out.

Getting the chain mounted securely to the wood was effortless and it cant come unglued like the original dead eye from the kit.

The small groove in the circumference of the walnut dead eye will do better to keep the shroud centered. Kit parts don't have that groove.

The lashings are too close for the .6mm rope I think.  I measured the diameter of the kit dead eye to order the walnut pieces at 4mm, though it still looks tiny. If painted the may look bigger.IMG_E0056.thumb.JPG.b4dbd5ac817f1c56c59f6ffbdfa7a43e.JPG

IMG_E0059.JPG.eb678362e6fced22f7c146f749e2742e.JPG

IMG_E0061.thumb.JPG.b0666c418ca330febb8814888da2c370.JPG

IMG_E0062.thumb.JPG.ded6bbb611488edbb276dad90554f8fd.JPG

clutter......just like mine!  :D  :D     any place is a great place!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great build!

"Chilling on the porch with a some and coffee.  Nerves are tattered ... " better take some valerian drops, keeps the hand much more steady :-)

If you havent already done all the lanyards of the deadeyes, consider taking a thinner thread. 

Also try out how it works for you to tie the shrouds to the lower dead eyes. If it is too hard, consider to take the lanyards off and take wooden dead eyes for the upper ones. Painted black they should fit the plastic lower ones and should be easier to handle. 

All the best, Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

looks good.....keep going  :)    have you tried rigging them with the carronade cemented in place?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice beasts :-)

XXXDAn

you could even lash them more toward the bow.......they are called bow chasers.   most modelers tend to delete them though...thought to be too much for the model,  or problematic to lash them in place.  some aren't even included in the kit.....outa sight,  outa mind sort of thing as well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Or put them aft the carronadesn into the larger gap of the timberheads :-)

XXXDan

• 2 weeks later...

HI William

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again but you need to file the edges of the deadeyes if you are going to use those and make a ridge for the shrouds to sit in, or make some with wood, have a look at some other logs and deadeyes, the lanyards could then be reduced in thickness by half as well and would all look better at least half the thickness of your shrouds would be more to scale.

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

you'll be a lot happier with the way they will look  :)    the plastic dead eyes don't have the indentation around the outer edge.....bad thinking on Heller's part me thinks  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: