HMS Victory by William-Victory - Heller - PLASTIC - First ship build

that's a pretty ingenious way to paint them...........paint the one side,  then flip the whole strip over and let them slide down the pins,  to paint the other side.   I will keep that in mind  ;)     do you own a dog..............well.......you taught ME a new trick!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 12:30 PM, William-Victory said:

Haven't had time lately...  I'm needing to increase the space I have so I can work on the yards etc.

Plus I always take a break from building when it feels monotonous.

Hi !William.I find that on any long build I start off with great enthusiasm then have a dry spell around 2/3rds in then when I see the finish line the enthusiasm slowly returns.Hang in there.Cheers! John. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

does she  like it there?    I remember when I first brought the Nordkap home.......the first wooden ship I ever did.   we had this cabinet in the dinning room that she kept cookware in.  the Nordkap was a skeleton on a pine board.......the fellow I got it from started it,  but it ended up in his attic for 30 or so years.  when she saw it,  she asked {with this 'put out' sound in her voice} "now where you gonna put that?"   I looked,  and said  "right here....."  and I put it on top of the cabinet  :D 

that's where I built most of it too!  I was building a Revell Cutty Sark in the computer room......she warmed up to it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've found an oak cabinet for $40!  Eggs ARE really cheaper in the country!

It was a three man lift.

My Victory is looking tiny now but when the rigging and Top galants go on it should fill it up a bit more.I have room for a couple more boats in there.

(You know I put a note in the Hull before buttoning it up.  I forgot what the heck I said! Doh!!

New Display.JPG

Edited by William-Victory
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

You know I put a note in the Hull before buttoning it up.  I forgot what the heck I said! Doh!!

"you broke it,  you bought it  ;) "   

I used to work at a cabinet shop in Florida.....I bought a 'second' that looked something like that.   open on both sides,  I filled it up with  car models.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 months later...

There is a significant advantage using Wire instead of thread for small scale seizings!  I worked for a whole day using the Uni-thread fish tying thread!  In the end the cats got it and its gone.

So today I decided to try the alternative, wire.  Within 10 minutes I had this block stropped to the Jib Boom-Topsail yard! And its my first successful work with Fly tying materials.  I'm really pleased with the outcome. 

IMG-1714.JPG

Cardinal sin?... no. Black or dark brown rigging was not the actual color of the rope but was caused by the tar that was applied to the standing rigging to protect it from salt, sun and wear. The running rigging was left in it natural state as it was in constant use and the tar would have fouled the blocks and sails not to mention the mess it would have created on the sailors themselves. Seizing would have been either coated in tar or left bare in relation to the use of the rope it was bound to. 

As for models, black thread is common on seizing, not so much for historically accuracy, but for making details pop out more on the model. At the end of the day, what matters is if you like it as it will be on display in your home. I have done it both ways myself.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Im toying with the idea of doing the footrope stirrups with fly tying wire.

I used a pin and spun it with my serving machine first.  Then put the pin and remaining thread in the serving machine to twist it about the yard.

Only one is made right now.  Its so fragile that I need to get the heavier items attached first I think.

IMG-1736.JPG

Edited by William-Victory
spelling

So.   I'm not attempting to do work like the amazing people here.  But my decks look empty... they are empty!

Adding a living crew to my model, I feel, will add a human aspect to the finished model.

I admit to being intimidated by the rigging I am trying to produce.  So I play with plastic to add some ambiguous boxes to the deck.

Would there even be a pile of boxes like these on the active duty Victory?

IMG-1755.JPG

• 2 months later...

Ok. 2017 was a terrible year.  Both our mothers passing within months...  waiting for memorial services when the ground thaws in Vermont.  Trip to Vermont in May.    Got a heart catheter procedure coming up... and diagnosed with Glaucoma! Yay.

Also building a 360 Big Block Mustang King Cobra... neglecting my drones...  etc.

So.  Im back on the Victory.  As of this post I am using a small kitchen Island for everything Victory.  It'll be Spars and more Spars next.  This roll around island might be the ticket to working on the ship in the house instead of my shop!

IMG-1954.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

very sorry to hear about your parent's passings..........profound condolences toy you and the misses :(    also sorry to hear of your ills........I hope you have a speedy recovery and all goes well.   understandable why you haven't been posting......been wondering.   I'm glad your back though and hope to see more of your vic build.   sometimes I wish I had a table like that.........work on it and then wheel it out of the way til next time :)    wouldn't work for me though...........I'd need at least ten of 'em :D  :D     well.....anyway........what ever the pace.........this is the place  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 7 months later...

William, are you still out there? If so I’d really appreciate some detail on your copper patina on the hull. I’ve still got a ways to go before I start painting mine but that’s exactly the colour and look I’m aiming at, so any info you can give would be appreciated.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, Kevin-the-lubber said:

William, are you still out there? If so I’d really appreciate some detail on your copper patina on the hull. I’ve still got a ways to go before I start painting mine but that’s exactly the colour and look I’m aiming at, so any info you can give would be appreciated.

My god I am sorry I dropped off the radar again...   I am back on the Victory in Earnest again.

The corrosion is paint.   Dry brushing using a dark green and slowly adding more white over the copper base coat.  Use a very dry brush and patience. I tried to leave areas that would be thinner coated to see a bit of copper here and there.   I did see a cool effect on some spots where the paint was too wet and made little micro clumps. gives it a little depth in spots when highlighted.  Use a really stubby dry brush.

Im back to playing with channel irons and deadeyes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So.  I ordered some supplies and attempting progress on my poor neglected ship.  I stopped at the deadeyes a while back.

Im working on shrouds while I await blocks to arrive.  And my current concern is not enough rope for serving.  I wish it came on spools of more. 

if you have opinions that’s why I posted. I served the forward shroud and I’m wondering if y’all think it’s too thick for 100 scale. 
the image with the sailor is unfinished clearly. 

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg