Guns of History Carronade by Worldway - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

This is a diversion to building my Bluenose.  I decided to tackle this to step away from the Bluenose for a while. 

20171117_175748_resized.thumb.jpg.9130e39f73ad13343b84b0403fc414ad.jpg

As per normal operating procedure I checked contents with the parts list to make sure everything was there.

20171117_180103_resized.thumb.jpg.04ccec7b55bb7f89df927743a14ca942.jpg

I think I'll start the actual build tomorrow.  I'm hoping to do it justice but we'll have to wait and see.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

First step was to bevel the front of the plywood 10 degrees to create the bulwark tumblehome (I had to use the dictionary for that word). I did this by using a belt sander mounted upside down on my workbench then running the plywood on the sandpaper as it ran.  I eyeballed the bevel using a compass to verify the angle.  I next started laying the planks trying Art's (Osmosis) idea of using black construction paper between the planks.  It didn't work for me. Likely because I didn't let the glue fully cure before trying to trim the paper (or I didn't have enough glue coverage on the paper). When I tried to trim the paper it simply lifted out leaving a void.  Luckily enough, because the glue wasn't fully set I managed to remove three rows I had installed.  I'm starting the planking again only this time using a pencil to simulate the caulking.  No pictures yet because there is basically nothing to show at this point.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

The first thing I realize is that the instructions are limited and you really need to carefully follow along.  It's easy to miss an assembly instruction if you're not reading carefully.  But. having said that, the instructions are there.

For example, I miss the part where it says you have to bevel the deck 10 degrees.  Luckily, I had to remove the first few planks so then I was able to do the bevel.

20171119_133934_resized.thumb.jpg.3b25986fed9130f9d9b76c0aee1e2853.jpg

I continued planking the deck.  It occurred to me that I wasn't following the instructions pattern but I really don't think it matters, or whether anyone would even notice.

20171119_134746_resized.thumb.jpg.a9af2ba295bbc2aaa6fe09efada1e861.jpg20171119_140128_resized.thumb.jpg.78c541af6c209ea0ec6c75e0dd21a8aa.jpg

Next it was time to prep and paint the metal parts.  The metal is very soft so it was easy to remove imperfections with a file.  I'm using an acrylic paint.

20171119_133956_resized.thumb.jpg.700c696d8bcd347d5b60449c7b5af44b.jpg20171119_140102_resized.thumb.jpg.2b542e69e2ff174f99772ae3d16f7cd5.jpg

Also, I did the cannon base sub assemblies

20171119_134001_resized.thumb.jpg.6c126ac9eed08f62cb278c306ea8287f.jpg20171119_134004_resized.thumb.jpg.f4d01e13e71ebb38398b99f73e146fc7.jpg20171119_155638_resized.thumb.jpg.762f1dcb427b7ef195af9dabf84c4710.jpg

All in all it was a pretty productive day.  The advertisement for this model suggests that it is a weekend project.  Maybe for some but definitely not for me.  Hopefully I will be done by Christmas.  I had to put my MS rope walk under the tree so maybe it will be good time to make new ropes for this model.

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Looking good Derek. I would have to agree about the "instructions" I found the illustrations to be more of a help than the written narrative.

Tonight I finished planking the deck and final assemblies of the carronade base. I also polyurethaned the deck after adding simulated trenails.  I used a mechanical pencil to push into the wood and twist to add the trenails.  There was a tiny bit of bleeding after polyurethane but barely noticeable. Tomorrow I plan to go to Michael's to get the paint I need to use to paint the model.  

20171120_200252_resized.thumb.jpg.796f52549d62079415b90f0e4cb729f2.jpg

20171120_200239_resized.thumb.jpg.91f4ee7e8860c8ee54b9697d6b4f432e.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I've spent the last couple of nights painting and doing some sub-assemblies. I have difficulty dealing with minute tiny parts and trying to get them installed correctly.  I was getting frustrated last night but think it turned out OK.  As per the instructions, after assembly of the carronade, you add glue to hold everything in place.  I found last night that the gun tended to be front heavy but after adding Weldbond and mounting it in place it seems to be holding.  If for some reason it loses its grip I'll use some epoxy glue hoping that will be better.

20171123_180605_resized.thumb.jpg.e612ae033b10564a06f9b9b270f4d012.jpg

I used masking tape around the edge of the deck when I painted the ends of the deck.  The paint did bleed through, under the tape.  However, because I had already added two coats of polyurethane it was easy to scrape the black paint from the top of the deck.

20171123_180624_resized.thumb.jpg.1adeb09e54cb4949273d6685cbcda5e3.jpg

I think the deck turned out nice.

20171123_180630_resized.thumb.jpg.b21d4399bb5933aa60856989222fa7b6.jpg

More painting and on to more assembly, but not tonight.

20171123_180647_resized.thumb.jpg.94ec83d4d3ca0f6335bb9e758e6dce54.jpg

One thing I've noticed is that the paint on the metal parts comes off easily.  Not by rubbing or anything but if it gets bumped with another metal part or touched by tweezers the paint seems to come off.  I'm wondering if it's because of the acrylic paint or the fact that I didn't wash the parts as instructed prior to assembly.

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Derek, the parts really need a washing to get any surface dirt off. There are oils on the parts from the casting blocks. And I would lightly prime the metal before painting.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

For the paint bleed problem, next time put a light coat of the color you are trying to protect with the tape, on first. Any wicking will then be the existing color, which will then seal the tape protected color joint. Ie. a light coat of the poly first, then the color coat.

Thanks for the advice Ken and Ron.  I did read that the cast parts should be washed first. I guess I just got lazy and figured it "really" wasn't that necessary.  Turns out, it is.  I may change the type of paint I'm using for the next Long Gun I'll be doing.  I'm having some problems with the tiny parts.  I need more patience and rely on jigs and fixtures more.

20171126_143354_resized.thumb.jpg.d6ef5eeaebabaebb7c22af89005b6fcf.jpg

20171126_152207_resized.thumb.jpg.e1435ff01fed5281b8a50e72b455a252.jpg

The instructions say to attached the tool holding arms using the supplied nails.  I knew immediately that this would be a bad idea because of the close proximity to the edge of the timbers.  Therefore I made a small jig to help hold the parts while I used epoxy to secure them.

I assembled the tools using epoxy.

20171126_152202_resized.thumb.jpg.7bdab79a43da74937553879d591c1e8b.jpg

The tools seem to be front end heavy and don't sit properly on the holders.  They tend to fall forward constantly.  I'm wondering if I should epoxy them in place.

20171126_144606_resized.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Thought you might enjoy this Naval gun. Was 13 when I made it, '62 years ago', from an old hitch. Pillow Block held a roll of caps, after drilling holes a carriage bolt and hammer made a fine bang and produced some gun smoke. Will remove from your build log tomorrow.

PICT0006.1.thumb.jpg.6e91f3f8e7e9acdcc6adf0f7cdf87480.jpg.

Edited by jud

Don't remove Jud.  It's a good addition. A little piece of nostalgia. Thanks

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I ended up with two different upper hinges. I decided to make my first foray into metal working.  I had some spare brass strip and thought I could refashion a couple of new hinges.

First job was to split the strip in half to narrow the thickness

5a20a51294704_20171130_174602_resized(1).thumb.jpg.ed8cc25158b8abd3bab99cdfc836efbd.jpg

Next was to fashion a loop on one end. I used a piece of brass wire for the loop radius.

20171130_175714_resized.thumb.jpg.4635b0f2a83581baccdac8715a39fb88.jpg

I had to add two nail holes in each.  The easiest way I found to do this was too use a needle and hammer it through the soft brass.

I then painted the brass black

20171130_183229_resized.thumb.jpg.ee053f62c7b0049f816ce2e6258eaee3.jpg

20171130_183247_resized.thumb.jpg.7587bef4490e30a71f40572c9a742d8c.jpg

I varnished the tool handles and the top rail.  Before assembling the top rail I filed a notch in the center to accept the chain.20171130_183347_resized.thumb.jpg.ff705a9c3afe9e36a24aca0348fd467d.jpg20171130_192908_resized.thumb.jpg.be7bae135da05068ebb08cc976c7a2d1.jpg

I then installed the top rail.

20171130_192902_resized.thumb.jpg.133ec1cd7162f699634ceac484c917b7.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Nice job on the hinges Derek. What did you use to trim the brass strip down? I need to make my trunnion clamps and they need to be 1/8" wide but all I could find was 3/16" wide strips of brass.

I scored the brass down the middle then bent it in half.  I then unbent it and in doing so it naturally just tore at the bend. Didn't really think it would be this easy.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

What is the best way to drill small holes in cast metal and brass?  My drill set for my pin vice doesn't do anything on metal and my metal drills are too big.  For the brass strip above I hammered a needle through it to get the hole.  For the other half of the hinge I used the smallest drill bit I had but it was too big.  I managed to hammer a pin through it as well but ended up doing some other minor damage that I now have to repair.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I find this impossible to do with a pin vise.  I bought a Dremel drill press setup for my Dremel tool and it worked like a a charm.  I can drill #77 holes with ease.  Costs about $48 but you can find non-Dremel brands for cheaper that will work with a Dremel tool.

dremelpress.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Derek - May I suggest you try Blackin-It instead of paint for you Cannon parts. Also I have used Epoxy often. But for this project I would suggest CA glue it is much easier.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I use broken drill or end mill bits as a punch, they work great

Dave, I think I'll invest in the Dremel Workstation.  I may need to work on convincing the admiral for a few days.

Fnkershner is Blackin-It the name of the product.  It would be great to use, I really don't like using paint

Don, thanks for the tip.  Do you simply use a hammer with the bit to punch through?

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I think that is the trade name. If you go to a model railroad store I am sure they have it. There is lots of info on this site about this stuff. You will need to clean your metal parts thoroughly and you will need to make sure the part is completely dry after soaking. there are lots of approaches. I use finger nail remover for the cleaning step. and I let is dry for at least 12 hours then I drop it in the bath of Blackin-It. let that sit for about 4 hours. Then wash thoroughly with water (to stop the chemical reaction). And dry with soft cloth. I have never used it on anything other than Brass or Copper. I am told it works on other metals. I suggest you experiment.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hi Derek,

I've always had a hard time finding brass blackening solution in Canada. I haven't found a single supplier that has it. I have used gun bluing (from Canadian Tire) with some success, but I also used blackening solutions from Blue Jacket in Maine and the shipping charges didn't break the bank. They have several different ones available including one that works on Britannia metal.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Blacken-It is no longer produced.  It was a small mom and pop place and they passed away in a traffic accident and the company went out of business.  There are other blackening agents - just be sure to use one that is made for your metal -Brass blackening agents will not work on white metal and vice versa. 

As to using acrylic paints on metal - there is no reason not to.  Just be sure to clean them well.  A primer can help but also a bath in an etching agent gives a "tooth" to the metal that helps with paint adhesion.  Again, be sure to clean off the etching agent.

There are several threads on blackening metals that you can do a search for.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing on.  The cannon barely fit in the opening because the angle of the bullwarks was too much.  However, it will work.

20171221_181711_resized.thumb.jpg.d1af1913758f3ee24929e214d2efe606.jpg

20171221_181701_resized.thumb.jpg.e5abdbdd183dd6b521aed98009d1de1c.jpg

Starting the finicky job of rigging.  First lesson learned, glue the rope knots. 

20171221_181623_resized.thumb.jpg.59bef9f62f2178adaf7aaa8bd4b64c4b.jpg

Will continue with the rigging.  Should be done this soon.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing with the rigging. I am starting to enjoy this project although I've had my share of problems.  However, I am learning a lot from it.  My next ship is the Fair American which has cannons so this is an introductory course for me.  I do however have the Naval Smooth bore kit to do and will apply the lessons learned on this kit to the next one. Perhaps I enjoy rigging and haven't realized it yet.  

20180114_183706_resized.thumb.jpg.218a10aaa79a90f42350bfcf2e880b77.jpg20180114_183715_resized.thumb.jpg.065ece5f6a78c8c198449c1aad126a4f.jpg

You have to attach the chain using very small round brass rings.  I found the best way to deal with this was to use hemostats.  They actually really helped me with the installation.  I also used reverse grip tweezers a lot to help hold assemblies.  I thought this was going to be a very tricky step but turned out to go better than I thought.

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I have enjoyed the limited rigging on this project and haven't found it too difficult or challenging.  I think the pictures are self explanatory.  The only thing left to do is to rig the cannon door and install the tools then I'm pretty much complete.

20180118_195613_resized.thumb.jpg.1d844623a865de7acfa7367b82402895.jpg20180118_200818_resized.thumb.jpg.1a8b8b108d90728f8cb44a99c0b93acb.jpg20180118_203304_resized.thumb.jpg.95835119fc80c7b9454c8b4319db6ce0.jpg20180118_203307_resized.thumb.jpg.3ce33763101633f434903698550a5b04.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I finished this kit tonight.  It was enjoyable and I learned a lot along the way.  It's a relatively straight forward kit with no major challenges.  It was a good side diversion.

20180119_184807_resized.thumb.jpg.0ea5607d102195a69819fb34f35fffc6.jpg20180119_184813_resized.thumb.jpg.ede0a116314d6cb2b9665442b70a79e4.jpg20180119_184823_resized.thumb.jpg.37b18e9c063119741d4fe8f769fe677a.jpg20180119_184833_resized.thumb.jpg.35f2a4db28ea6b2318884571d053ae99.jpg20180119_184855_resized.thumb.jpg.6fffb9bcff65f8f681c22703f8ad5a3c.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds