HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

Welcome to my Winchelsea build which will be done alongside Hayling. It will be based on Chuck's version II design. I have chosen to build the ship mainly from Cherry. It will be a P.O.B. model, using the laser cut parts and mini-kits that Chuck will offer. This will be a fun build for me and I'm looking forward to the many challenges that are ahead.

5a0f6311575ec_Winchelseaoriginal-draft-100_sfw.thumb.jpg.d47a539ba898a12c9597d7b0f3ad7399.jpg

The build starts with making the Knee of the Head from Chuck's laser cut kit. Cherry, being a softer wood than Boxwood, cuts somewhat cleaner and the pieces fit together quite nicely. Only a gentle scraping with a #11 blade was needed to remove the loose char. I used a #2b pencil to darken all the joints (optional) which were then joined with Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. No clamping was necessary. The upper area from the stem down to the forward edge of the bobstay piece was gradually tapered from 3/16" to 3/32". The bobstay holes and gammon slot edges were softened as well.

_DSC8117.thumb.jpg.273ba32696e092ba26cb058328ddeb35.jpg_DSC8125_sfw.thumb.jpg.018acf6870f3ce33b316dcf9c4e382ad.jpg

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I’m pulling up a chair if you don’t mind Mike. Love your work and this frigate is on my list once I finish the Cheerful and some other kits. Has Chuck made the book and other parts for it available yet?

Best regards,

Ian

Hi Mike,

I wish you all the best with this build, its a beautiful ship....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks, guys!

Nils: I agree that it is a very beautiful ship.

Ian: Check with Chuck on this as I have not spoken to him in the last week or so.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Looking good Mike.  I'm interested, maybe, in this kit as well.  I'll enjoy watching this build progressing.

Good luck.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Very interesting build, if you dont mind I will bring my chair and take a seat to follow this,  I am too building a period frigate in the Kit build section  HMS Greyhound  1721 sixth rate 20 gun frigate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Oh yes, I have a thing for frigates of this period so I too will be pulling up a chair.  If the build quality of Winchelsea comes out as well as Cheerful or Hayling this should be one awesome model.  Mike, two models going at once?  Did you retire?  Why cherry wood and how did you get it laser cut?  Did you consider any other woods, like Castello boxwood or Swiss pear?  On Chuck's Syren website I didn't see any Winchelsea parts in the laser cut section.  Do you have a special arrangement with him to build a prototype of what he will offer in the future?

Thank you all!

Tom,

I'm semi-retired which gives me time to build almost every day. I considered boxwood which of course is great to work with, but I wouldn't be able to use Chuck's laser cut parts.

Chuck did not approach me with the idea to build a prototype. I have always liked the Winchelsea and when I mentioned my wanting to build her, he suggested that I wait until version II was finalized. He happened to have had the head knee parts available for me to try out.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Mike  are you going to have to make your beak from scratch?   the reason I ask  - I would like to have a go at scratch building one for my 1/100 scale HMS Greyhound, as the one that comes in the box is a ruff metal one,  I just dont kno the first place to start as my scratch building experience is very limited.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 months later...

Snowy nights are a perfect time to get back into the workshop.

The bulkhead former is now in one piece. These laser cut parts were joined with Elmer's Carpenter glue without any prior sanding on the joints.  A slab of flat marble was used to rest the parts on while the glue set.

_DSC8267.thumb.jpg.a5a4b2e128aa8ad10f8a212cbd45fb41.jpg

The bearding line is laser etched into one side of the former. I traced the line and transferred its shape to the other side using graphite paper.

_DSC8259.thumb.jpg.b5b58c0bdfa2e07ea2b32c55a14ea73b.jpg

_DSC8262.thumb.jpg.d5c0388582c32cd633311f0c52fc6dd2.jpg

The rabbet is 1/16" x 3/32" strip which was cut from 3/32" boxwood sheet. The fore side was moistened and heat bent into shape with a blow dryer. _DSC8266.thumb.jpg.ec4cb3103dd5ad55842e29b13ab0217d.jpg

Since the former is rather long the rabbet strip was made in two pieces joined with an angle joint for strength. This joint also makes it easy to align the next section, simply by slipping it under the first section.

_DSC8269.thumb.jpg.b33133a040aae5a87f22c47fdc50a56b.jpg

The completed rabbet with a small section also added to the aft area of the former.

_DSC8270.thumb.jpg.bb3ef78058176a4d36c49a3f85fe0284.jpg

Mike

Looks good....but check those plans....the rabbet strip doesnt extend that far aft....

beardingline.jpg

Yup! Got it. I will use the the additional length to guide me while shaping the bearding line and then remove it afterwards.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

I managed to complete the bearding line today. The wood is easy to work with, using just a coarse file and some medium grit sandpaper. The rabbet will be shortened as Chuck described above when I attach the aft section of the four section keel.

_DSC8271.thumb.jpg.cbee543b4ebdf710c2312554540cdb39.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

I Added knee assembly to the bulkhead former. Some shaping was necessary in order to get a nice fit around the rabbet. Next I added the four section keel. You should be able to see where I removed a short section of the rabbet to accommodate the aft most keel section.

_DSC8281.thumb.jpg.8004ed2ba80ef7aedda958cb078098d5.jpg

_DSC8275.thumb.jpg.a8888bd127b5ad04fe698b3347b9413d.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Very nice start Mike. Good tight fit.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

In preparation for making the false keel, the keel bottom was sanded 90° to its adjacent edge and smooth across its bottom face. To do this, I first raised the bulkhead former/keel assembly off the flat surface with 1/4" flat sheet. I used a square sanding block, gliding along the flat surface of the board to sand the edge.

• _DSC8286.thumb.jpg.94a50e432f6c78d2559e176ca6acd47b.jpgThe false keel was ripped on the table saw from some scrap Cheery that I had lying around. It's made in three sections joined with what I think is called a "Harris joint". As you can see, I located the joint far enough away from the keel joint._DSC8290_sfw.thumb.jpg.e6235c7f241b6d2917d3733e4282e3ab.jpg

_DSC8293_sfw.thumb.jpg.1c9b32ded768ccf5e2e5e3b9b8e647fb.jpg

In preparation for adding the bulkheads I made the build board that will hold everything upright and straight._DSC8292.thumb.jpg.99d95d0f7734fa1e8ec977135bf56920.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

The Fair American (Lauck Street) kit used cherry for the frames.  It's been about 7 years since I finished it and the wood has aged beautifully. 

Maury

Made a bit more progress today by simulating the lower stem and keel bolts. Holes were drilled with a #76 bit and filled with .017 black monofilament and PVA glue. I'm not a big fan of CA as it has a tendency to discolor the wood.

I anxious to see what the Cherry will look like after a coat of W-O-P. I should know soon enough.

_DSC8294_sfw.thumb.jpg.081c1b54c70ee4e861f64b210ce4705d.jpg

_DSC8295_sfw.thumb.jpg.3285d940af9603ffd2152bf35ab9bf5e.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Lovely work, Mike.  There's something about this hull that has always appealed to me.  Lot's of planking ahead!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Since my last post I have been contemplating whether or not my using Cherry as the primary wood was the right choice for me. No doubt some beautiful ships have been built from Cherry, but I really prefer the look of boxwood. I thought about removing just the knee and keel assembly, but quickly ruled that out. The problem being that it would be difficult aligning those new parts to the already assembled bulkhead former/bulkhead assembly. This meant that I would have to start over from the beginning. So, over the last few weeks I have managed to re-build her with boxwood.

Right now, 3/16" laser cut boxwood kits are not being offered for the Winnie. The nine pieces making up the knee parts were scratched from 3/16" boxwood sheet. The mill came in handy for making the bobstay holes and gammon slot.

_DSC8301.thumb.jpg.326b1d429a600f89e136477acdf9ed38.jpg

I'm going with copper bolts this time. Blackening will be done later.

_DSC8306_sfw.thumb.jpg.f7acf38cbffe7eab2ae27694938f4042.jpg

Large blocks were used to handle any slight twists in the bulkheads while at the same time keeping the structure straight.

_DSC8309.thumb.jpg.4bc64a1338ac154339f82d1747b2bbfa.jpg_DSC8311.thumb.jpg.86fb5308ea0d4ebea9a86c9437aa1612.jpg

The two lower platforms were added as well.

_DSC8308.thumb.jpg.e5445ba4e6c051b4de51a47de246f6a8.jpg

_DSC8310.thumb.jpg.2556980a2fc66f43cf15a994f361c44e.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Oh well, Mike, I was looking forward to seeing the cherry version of this, but I am still happy to follow the construction of your boxwood version.

Steve

Well, Steve, I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from using Cherry. Of course, one would get all those great mini-kits from Chuck too.

Mike

Hi Mike. Having done her in boxwood I understand your change.

Great job on the joints on the Knee of the Head too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Really nice work on the stem  Mike ! I would encourage you to experiment with finishes other than Wipe On Poly - it's easy to apply - but there are better finishes available in my opinion.

Im looking forward to following your progress ! 

Edited by ChrisLBren