HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

That looks really good Mike. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 month later...

I'm making slow progress on the head rails. There is a lot more going on here than I thought.

I struggled initially to keep things in place with rubber cement in order to view the relationship between the head timbers. Chuck suggested that I could set the center head timber vertical and then work the other two head timbers in such a way that it would look okay to my eye. With that in mind I did just that. After setting the middle timber I could see that the front one could lean slightly forward. I removed the fore end of the template which lies in front of the notch. A thin strip was placed between the back of the head timber and the template to angle the timber forward while at the same time keeping it parallel to the center timber.

Winchelsea_0519.thumb.jpg.621ff5d2b3c48ae535cc6e13ed420849.jpg

The aft head timber was angled slightly rearward. I can now use this as a guide for the other side. Btw; notice the position of the main rail in relationship the timberhead on the forecastle just behind it. This worked out okay on my Winnie, though that might be different on your ship.

Winchelsea_0530..thumb.jpg.2f7e4f4101d93f8f3896be82b06b0b3f.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Very descriptive, I’m sure I will thank you when I get to this point. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I finished up the second main rail today. More black touch up needed and then onto the head timber cover boards._DSC0559.thumb.jpg.a33410081378f05d7f362d51ce39236d.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking forward to getting the cover boards completed, not necessarily doing them. I had to file down a few of the head timbers or change the angle slightly before I could glue the boards in. I recommend using slow drying CA and not PVA. I also removed some of the moulding under the frieze to make things easier when it's time to fit the lower rail.

Anyway, now that they are done I am feeling pretty good about how they turned out. Now its onto the lower rail.

Winchelsea_0564.thumb.jpg.50450d0bc60daf0705ef1ae939d125b4.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Very very nice Mike.  They look perfect.   I know how hard these can be.   You did a fantastic job on those headrails.   The grating and remaining headwork will be a breeze by comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

Work continues with the completion of the cathead rail. A ton of fitting, tweaking and re-fitting in order to get something that I liked. It would be great if one could add the thin outside layers in one piece instead of a splice. Of course that would be more difficult to do since both halves of the rail would have to be glued together first, while matching the shape of the hull at the same time.

Anyway, here you go. .

Winchelsea_0012-1.jpg.2eb85eba1e6c1de1588aeb28ce73de9c.jpg

Winchelsea_0010.thumb.jpg.e4aa7c0631fdd7f8e3c001d85b8112a0.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Beautiful Mike…and hard to believe done with laser cut kit parts.  I am pretty sure you wont find many other kits with headrails like that.  

you are in the home stretch now.  The top gratings should be a piece of cake by comparison.

Thank you all for the kind words and for all the like's!

Chuck, I still have to complete the two aft head timbers. I did remove the lower moulding which should make things easier. It's a tight area to work in. Stay tuned. .

That is some fantastic work there Mike. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Well, I'm not sure if I would call it a milestone, but it does feel good to have finally finished the head timber work. It's challenging and sometimes tedious work. The secret to any kind of success is to just slow down and think things through as much as possible. The head gratings are next.

Winchelsea_0027.thumb.jpg.796882a8afe7f12dabf43251ed13da6e.jpg

Winchelsea_0029.thumb.jpg.7a63a0d88b3a3c7aab7515f5207625d5.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Mike, she looks great! Your patience and skill have definitely paid off.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back