HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

That is some really beautiful work Mike!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've started on the head gratings. A few of these battens are quite small, yet none of them managed to fly off into nowhere land. All of the joints needed a bit of wood filler before painting. I added the first coat of black paint of which more are sure to come.

Winchelsea-ART_0041.thumb.jpg.b2a965ee477cf39d4e8826382bb5eb18.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

More grating work completed this week. As you can see I have not spent a lot of time on paint work. It's just too easy for things to get scratched while working in this area. I lowered the notched batten at the hull around 3/64" since the angle appeared just a bit too steep.

Winchelsea-ART_0049.thumb.jpg.62f5a547f78c93a4783cdc525dcb2b34.jpg

Mike

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

One thing I almost forgot to mention. .

I think that It's very important to keep the two inner battens parallel or at least at the same angle relative to the center line of the hull. It's quite noticeable if one batten is at a different angle than the other. Just something to be aware of when you get to this stage of the build.

Winchelsea-ART_0049_1.thumb.jpg.20f3cb013558897d98ace7d6101aa244.jpg

Mike

Moving along. .

An easy way to align the first two sides of the poop scoops is to use a jig similar to what was used to round up the coamings.

Winchelsea-ART_0047.jpg.67fd67544794841589a59c8d81645f90.jpg

The poop scoops are completed. The alignment being that they are parallel to each other vertically and the tops are flat across the top. I found that the best way to do that was to set one first, before moving onto the other one. The three battens on the outside really help to hold them firmly in place.

Winchelsea-ART_0050.thumb.jpg.204c26acf1f2c5b1289732ee7fe6d7f1.jpg

Mike

Sweet!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Continuing on with another small update. The aft seats have been added to the ship. This was tricky stuff and there were a few attempts needed. So, yeah, Nothing new. I used a tapered a dowel inserted into the hole as a helping hand when test fitting and gluing them in. Only a small amount of PVA at the notch surrounding the moulding and along the edge that sits against the false rail.

Winchelsea-ART_0069.jpg.d03502c0f134a14ec217a1be16197e01.jpg

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the bumpkins which were the last of the parts which needed to be made.  I decided not to drill the hole through the hull moulding and frieze. It felt that it was a little to risky at his stage of the build. Of course I never thought of it, but if it were possible I would have done so earlier in the build. Instead I simulated as best I could the look of doing so.

Its been nearly five years since I switched from the 3/16" to the 1/4" scale version in April of 2018. With the ship now finished, I just want to say thank you for sharing this journey with me. Every kind word, comment and "Like" inspired me to do my best and keep moving ahead.

I would be remiss if I didn't give a special thank you to Chuck for being a huge help to me from the very start as well as putting up with all of my nuttiness. Thank you, Chuck!

Winchelsea-ART_0097.thumb.jpg.9a69839c6526e50233e828a4f810b6b6.jpg

Winchelsea-ART_0101.thumb.jpg.4e172c840f799e43247b224c5e1b03df.jpg

Winchelsea-ART_0099.thumb.jpg.4ba84d5d5988885dd372f23c4ff2394a.jpg

Winchelsea-ART_0102.thumb.jpg.81a6c34ff6e2c67cdbdbc464f2b45f55.jpg

Winchelsea-ART_0104.thumb.jpg.ca4f40d3a64003abbda2017d5f62ec05.jpg

See ya soon, Mike

At a loss for words Mike....She is a beautiful model.  So sweet.    And it was fun getting in the trenches with you on it for so many years.

Chuck

Congratulations Mike on finishing your Winchelsea.  It is a beautiful model and your workmanship is second to none.  You and Chuck have set the bar high for your craftsmanship.  It has been a pleasure following your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Beautiful work Mike. Congratulations on a job well done, it’s been a pleasure following and learning from your build as well as a great motivation!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

What a beautiful model ! This is an absolutely perfect build. Thank you for sharing your tips and your fantastic work.

We can only dream about this version of the Winchelsea !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Congrats on reaching the finish line! I know that it seems sometime like a elusive goal but good on ya for keeping your hands on the tiller and finishing her. I have to admit now that I'm in the process of building my Winnie, your pictures have answered innumerable questions for me and I just want to say thanks for documenting your journey....

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Wow! As all the previous posts have said, well done for a beautiful model. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Congratulations on finishing Mike. You have completed one fine model. Your build log will be a superb guide for all who follow!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Congratulations Mike! It’s absolutely beautiful and I’ll be referring to your log frequently as I build my Winnie. I look forward to seeing your next project. Any chance you’ll go back and finish the Mayflower you had been building before the Winnie? Would love to see you complete that excellent build log if the subject still interests you. Thank you for sharing…I learn a lot from you.

Best,

Jim

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Fantastic, marvelous, yaw dropping beautiness in near perfect execution of how a ship model should be build!

Congratulations reaching the finish Mike!

Thank you very much for all your clear explanations and support in our own build logs of all of us apprentices.

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Mike, you have built a superb model - as close to perfection as a 'human' craftsman probably can get. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your work in your excellent build log!

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)