HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

Planking below the wales is one of my favorite parts of the build. I have now completed the first belt on the starboard side. Working with boxwood is great though I have to work slowly if I want to get a nice result. On a good day I can complete one strake. I'm Just taking my time and treating each plank as a project in itself. Edge bending is my new friend and I'm finding, for the most part, it's all that is needed. The exception being where the plank sweeps upwards into the counter. There I use a dowel to form the shape. In all cases I use the hair dryer after wetting the wood for 10-15 seconds. Some preliminary cleanup sanding was done while leaving the last installed strake mostly untouched until more planks are added below it.

Winchelsea_9325.thumb.jpg.729dedfd77dee6a2cc74aea7db829459.jpgWinchelsea_9327.thumb.jpg.a881ffae0ecebbb9be1b7e99f21ca68f.jpgWinchelsea_9328.thumb.jpg.1ec9d572f00884fdd4736a230031f4c5.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

That's a really nice job on that first belt. You and Chuck are setting a very high standard!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks, Rusty! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on your "new" Winchelsea build.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

10 hours ago, Beckmann said:

Do you glue the planks just to the bulkheads or with each other as well?

I glue each plank to the bulkheads and as well as the adjacent planks.

Mike

Mike, your model of the Winchelsea is coming along very nicely. I admire the work you and Chuck do on your ships. I evidently don't know what this belt term being mentioned for the area you are building is referring to. Have never heard of this belt in any of the books I use for my guidance.

Keep up the great work.

Brian :)

That is a term used to signify a section of the lower hull for planking.   For example.....the hull has 25 strakes from the wales to the keel.  To make it more manageable, these were divided into four sections referred to as "belts" of planking.   It is far better to concentrate on each smaller belt as one task to do than an entire hull.   The winnie has for such belts of planking below the wales and each should be treated as its own small project.  The goal being to complete one belt at a time......something to be celebrated by a pint or a shot at the end of the day once you finish one.  :cheers:

I am currently working on my second belt of planking on the starboard side of the hull......almost ready for that Rolling Rock!!!!!

This is how I hold the hull steady while planking below the wales. I can slide the Kleenex boxes left or right depending on what section of the hull I'm working on. The painters tape can be released and reapplied several times before losing adhesion.

Winchelsea_9332.thumb.jpg.f8d7a63816b9cee99da21c5ffc11a5c4.jpg

I've been using this edge bending jig since my 18th Century Longboat build. Recently I adapted this variation on Chuck's center hold down.

Winchelsea_9333.thumb.jpg.530c3210eca01bbe7bc4a54b36354b2f.jpg

Mike

That center hold-down is good....just remember that everyone using yellow cedar....you will need to place a scrap on top of the strip when you clamp the ends.   The cedar is soft and will dent without some protection under the clamps.   Otherwise this is what I do using a travel iron for heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Work is now completed on the second belt. Not much to say other than more of the same. Just some cleanup sanding and as always I try to avoid sanding too much of the last few installed strakes. The knee is getting a bit grungy due to excessive handling, though not a problem to clean up later.

Winchelsea_9340.thumb.jpg.21638f2098a6216acc7a098d00b7d451.jpgWinchelsea_9341.thumb.jpg.d82d14a482e40504fa1f8639d4026907.jpg

Mike

Mike , your planking looks superb! Very clean.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Mike,  Thant's some dang fine planking!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Thank you all for the kind words and "Likes". Very much appreciated as always.

Mike

Yes, Joe, I use a 1 3/8" dowel or hard plastic container to curve the plank along its length. Just dampen, clamp and heat with a hair dryer. The curve can be finessed by hand afterwards.

Mike

• 1 month later...

The second planking belt, now completed, has proven to be the most difficult one to do so far. I'm told that the last two belts will be much easier to complete which is good news.

After seeing Chuck's taped off molding bands that run both through and above the gun ports, I was very curious as to how this would look on my ship. I wanted to know if the gun ports, fixed blocks and sheer were correct. Using measurements taken off the plan drawing I transferred the lower molding position onto the hull (turns out that the lower molding runs parallel to the wales). 1/8" tape was placed onto the hull to simulate the lower molding that runs through the gun ports. After eyeing the run from several positions I could see that some very slight tweaking was needed in order to establish a smooth run. Once satisfied, I added the simulated 3/32" upper molding which runs parallel to the lower molding. I was happy to see that both sides of the hull are almost identical with regard to gun port placement as well as sheer height and shape.

_DSC9369.thumb.jpg.349dfca03aa3e4e20bc91af6b0b2d5dd.jpg

_DSC9367.jpg.59ab2bd1a76351ee9795bffe254cc19c.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Beautifully executed!!!   That is exactly how it should look at this time.   Almost there!!!!

That really looks great Mike!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Mike, one of the questions I always had was, “Do the mouldings sit on top of the planking or do they sit on the frames like the planking?”  I’ve seen various contemporary cross sections and they either don’t specify or show them sitting on the frames.

thanks

Edited by Dowmer

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Mike your work is inspirational and I have to say you set a high bar.

When you get to form the moldings can you give some "how to information" to those of us who could use some coaching. I tried it for my Cheerful by filing some 1/16 brass sheet with a bevel on one side so as to form a knife edge. I wasn't too happy about the result: (1) the boxwood profile shape was not crisp no matter at what angle I held the scrapper at at and (2) when applied to the 1/16 wide stock it had a tendency to wander off the center line. As a result the hull has yet to be dressed out. I anticipate the same result on the Winne without some guidance.

Joe

Joe, one of the things I’ve found that helps me with “cutting” moldings is if you are scraping a 1/16” molding to cut a 1/16” slot into the scraper first.  That will channel the strip consistently, then cut the profile into the bottom of the slot.  The depth of the slot you cut obviously controls the depth of the profile.  I hope that helps.

I typically use an Exacto blade for the scraper.  I can then fit it into a handle to use.  For cutting I use a thin abrasive cutting wheel in the Dremel then finish with fine Swiss files if needed. There are many ways of accomplishing the task, this is the one that works for me.

Here’s a pic of one I used many years ago.

F0F33370-AF6D-422D-92CF-4E92A11CFEA3.thumb.jpeg.a2244ca1e2757cbd31fbfe115fa3a2e7.jpeg

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

• 1 month later...

Hello and a Happy New year to everyone!

I've been making some progress on the hull planking. The last two belts on the starboard side minus one strake are done. As tempting as it was to add the last strake I knew that I would still need a clamping area to adhere to when I start again on the port side. Clamping against the keel doesn't work since the angle of the clamp would pull the plank up and away from the bulkhead. Moving the clamp down five strakes changes the angle of the clamp just enough to hold the plank tight against the bulkhead.

_DSC9408.thumb.jpg.13ec22535adbd4d25069e50127ddf7e2.jpg

I've added a few photos showing the planking detail both fore and aft.

Winchelsea_9403.thumb.jpg.378833401ceb727e6c893507e0b1f6da.jpg

Winchelsea_9404.thumb.jpg.f79bcc3d0f42edcb0c39b6de110aab57.jpg

All of the sanding so far has been done with Soft Sanders. They are hard foam shapes that you wrap with adhesive backed sandpaper which is supplied by the company. The sandpaper lasts forever it seems. I am using 180 and 320 grit. http://www.softsanders.com/products/wood. I find that these two shapes work well. I cut them into 3" to 5" lengths. They conform to the hull shape allowing for a smooth transition when sanding.

softsander.jpg.09b8c6dee8f1c8cbf9b32d4fa1661b57.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer