Greetings from Manitoba, Canada

rlundy90

Hi and thanks for the add to your group. I have been an avid model builder for many years, but am pretty much a newbie when it comes to model ships. I have mainly built model railroad and RC planes in the past, but didn't find them challenging enough to keep me enthused. I have built one model ship in the past. In 1975 I was in a serious motorcycle accident and ended up spending six months in the hospital in traction.  Lying flat on my back I built a Billings Boat Bluenose 11. Ended up spilling a big basin of hot water all over me and in the bed, but have to say was the most fun I ever had building a model. I ended up having to wait to finish it, until I was out of hospital. Couldn't really do any sanding in bed. Now 40 odd years later, I have decided I want another challenge, so I bought another kit from Billings, but after looking at it, decided to put it away for a bit and get something a bit more doable first. Instructions for the Billings boat are very poor to say the least and appears to be a really complicated model(Norske Love), so I purchased a Model Shipways kit that has excellent drawings and instructions(Benjamin Latham). Hope members of the forum will be able to help me out if I get stuck. Looking forward to starting the kit very soon. I am hoping to become an active member of the forum. Thanks, Ron Lundy.

Hello Ron :sign:

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Hi Ron and welcome from a guy just a few "houses" over...

I wish you well with this interesting hobby and your new model. I'm sure you'll find it rewarding. I have the Norske Love as well and think you made a wise decision by starting off "easy".

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Hi Ron,

Welcome to MSW and to model shipbuilding.  I'd like to suggest you open a build log when you're ready to begin building as it will be the best way to get help and encouragement.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Greetings from Belgium.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome Ron! Long ago when I thought it'd be fun to build a wooden ship model I purchased the Norske Love.  Relatively early in the build (if I am recalling correctly after one or two planks) I put the kit away.  It moved with me for a number of years until I finally said ENOUGH and discarded it (in hindsight that was not clever).  20 years after discarding it I decided to start again.  It turns out with a bit of maturity, more time, good instructions, and most importantly a community like MSW, that model ship building is a great pastime!  I'm glad that Billings used to sell the fittings kits separately as it saved me the $s that I didn't have many of in those days.  I sitll fantasize building the Norske Love one of these years.  

I'll keep an eye open for your build log on both your kits.  Enjoy.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600