Oseberg Viking Ship by killickthere - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:16 - SMALL

13 hours ago, killickthere said:

If you want the name I still have the solution.

Sure, thanks. This is a new hobby for me so I'm still the kid in a candy store. I did a quick Ebay search and found some pins "Bridal & Lace Pins", two different sizes but the difference is just length.

You really did nice work with those!

6 hours ago, Balclutha75 said:

Sure, thanks. This is a new hobby for me so I'm still the kid in a candy store. I did a quick Ebay search and found some pins "Bridal & Lace Pins", two different sizes but the difference is just length.

You really did nice work with those!

Well then... Welcome to the hobby! You'll find a wealth of information on the forum. I wish I was half as good as most of these guys but as I said I pick and choose the battles I think I can do really well. 

Thank you again. Adding nails is a painstaking process but adds so much to the model. Ask the eBay seller to give you the head diameter. Seems to me to get the smallest head I had to purchase longer pins but the excess just snaps off. Be careful snapping them as they go flying. I would stick my thumb in front of the pin as I snapped. The snapped off section would shoot ride into my thumb sticking in it. They are so small didn't hurt so I'd just pull them out lol.

Here's a pic of the solution I used. Experiment with time. 

solution.jpg

pins.JPG

On 7/21/2020 at 5:12 AM, killickthere said:

The snapped off section would shoot ride into my thumb sticking in it. They are so small didn't hurt

killickthere, you may have convinced me that I shouldn't go there! Just kidding ... kind of.

As a newbie to this it's exciting to see all the possibilities out there. Jury still out on what I'll be able to accomplish, but the talent and willingness to help on MSW is impressive. With any kind of luck I'll be able to contribute some day. Thanks for your detailed info.

NIce updates.

My brother is super involved in the painting of historical figures hobby (mostly Pegaso). Sent him the link to that one that was painted for you. He also thought that it was an excellent example. He wondered about the size 75mm?

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

6 hours ago, Balclutha75 said:

killickthere, you may have convinced me that I shouldn't go there! Just kidding ... kind of.

Oh no! It was just a method that worked for me. The work is just very monotonous. But as you see the hull coming together it's worth the work certainly!

5 hours ago, md1400cs said:

NIce updates.

My brother is super involved in the painting of historical figures hobby (mostly Pegaso). Sent him the link to that one that was painted for you. He also thought that it was an excellent example. He wondered about the size 75mm?

That's very cool. Yes the figure is 75mm which would put him at 7'4", too big for the ship. That's why he is not on the ship. But he looks good beside it. I found 54mm figures but they would have been too short. I'd rather have a larger figure than smaller as they are Vikings after all! 

My goodness your ship building is impressive. Unfortunately I don't have the patients to build something like the Sovereign of the Seas. I'm building the Bounty Launch soon. I would like to try the Constitution maybe one day. 

• The title was changed to Oseberg Viking Ship by killickthere - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:16 - SMALL