MEDDO

English Pinnace by MEDDO - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 -

Thanks Steve.

I am still working on thinning down the coats of paint and I can see the improvement in the look even from the risers to the thwarts.  Maybe in a few years will be able to achieve color consistency like in the instructions.

Internal planking was the hardest step so far.  After a couple of days banging my head against the wall of trying to get the planking of the bow correct I gave up.  I thought I was pretty good at bending (both edge and otherwise) but I could never get this wood to get around that curve.  The wood just kept splitting and folding and it looked horrible.  I choose to do the same thing that Mike Y did and just placed a "wall" up front which helped and was so much easier.  An initial few coats of paint and it is starting to look a bit better.

Looking forward to the next few steps

IMG_0450.thumb.jpg.728a6c80dc4746f3757232d205fc6c9a.jpg

The degree to which you can bend wood is a function of how hot you get it for how long, at high temperatures the lignin that provides the strength of the wood structure gets progressively more flexible. The hotter you get it, the more you can bend it without fracture. That's why steam is much better for serious bending as it gets the wood considerably hotter without burning than other options.

She looks fine as is with the bow planks covered, so no worries, just something for the next time around. Good steam cleaners that produce lots of steam on demand are pretty cheap these days, and all you need is a clear plastic tube to attach to the output end of one of those and you have a perfect plank steamer. Leave them in there for 15-30min and you'll be able to tie bows with them. Ok you won't be able to tie bows with them but you can bend them around very tight curves. Look up Kortes' boier build, it's apparently against the law in the Netherlands for a boier yacht to have a straight line anywhere, and their hulls are closing in on being circular. He had to do lots of severe wood bending for that, all done with steam.

Great info Vossie. I did wet/steam/incrementally bend those pieces but never could get it done enough to sit correctly.  I was able to easily do it with scrap wood I had laying around.  Pear/cherry/I think it was holly were all able to bent into that curve but I could never get the kit wood to make the 3 dimensional curve.  After spending 4 days trying I thought I would just move on.  I am still being stubborn and only using the kit contents :)

4 hours ago, MEDDO said:

After spending 4 days trying I thought I would just move on.  I am still being stubborn and only using the kit contents :)

Isn't this another kit that was designed by Chuck Passaro? You're right that you solved the problem well and are moving on, but out of curiosity's sake and future needs, you might could drop him a PM and see if he has any input on bending the wood that MSW is including in the kits these days. You're right, woods have different fundamental bending processes and you could do everything right and still have problems with certain woods.

The beauty of the steam cleaners is that you just tell the admiral you're buying an excellent tool for cleaning bathrooms and kitchens to total sterility, and she approves and awards you a medal of bravery :) 

New tools are always welcome!  I feel I am incredibly lucky to have found the magic words that allow me to buy anything I want.....  “Shoes and purses “    With those three magic words I can pretty much buy anything I want without any hassle questioning or guilt trip.

I had trouble with this area of the project as well. I used maple for most of the project but for the inboard planking I used basswood. I think I also shaped the wood from a larger piece. That was a difficult curve. See post #116 in my log. 

Steve

There was probably enough space on the large sheet provided with the kit to pre cut an already shaped plank but after all those attempts I just went this way.  It will be much less noticeable once the cap rail and the knee are in....I hope