Oostends schipje (Ostend shrimper) by G.L. - scale 1:20, building first POF Edition 2

The hull has strong curves at the front and the back. It will not be possible to glue the wale (3 mm thick oak) without giving some shape to it.

I make the wale wet, take it with two pincers and bend it, moving it slowly back and forth above a candle flame. Slowly it keeps the curve.

113.jpg

114.jpg

At the stern side the plank must not only been bent, it has also to be wrenched.

I do it also above the candle flame.

The result is a wale that has more or less the shape in which it must been attached to the frames.

116.jpg

117.jpg

The second plank is again a challenge. The upper edge of the wale was straight, that is not more the case for all the following planks. To determine the upper shape of the following plank I tape a piece of tracing paper to the hull. I brush past the sharp under edge of the wale with a pencil, marking the edge on the tracing paper. I mark also the middle line of my reference frames. With a pair of compasses I take the width of the plank on the marked frames and bring them over to the corresponding frame lines on the tracing paper. Connecting the width marks I obtain the lower profile of the plank.

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

Now there is still space between the frames, I place the lower deck beams. They lay parallel with the waterlines, with two small planks at both sides of the keel it is easy to attach them to the frames at the correct height.

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

The space between the frames becomes a bit cramped to use  clamps to hold the planks in place. Therefore I nail the planks on the frames with predrilled holes. I drill the holes in the locations where afterwards should be a tree nail. To prevent the fragile frames for breaking when I hammer the nails I use a stick in the bench vise as a prop.

139.jpg

140.jpg

Part 7: Deck gear preparations and sand band

Some parts of the deck gear like the jib boom support and the fishing winch continue below the deck till the bottom of the vessel. I make their bottom pieces now. I leave them longer than needed. Later, when the deck beams are in place, they can be sawn at the correct  height.

152.jpg

151.jpg

153.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

I want to blacken them with oxidant. It succeeds easy for the nails but the sand band obstinately keeps its brass color even after being coated several times with oxidant. I hope that it will become darker when I color the hull.

161.jpg

Hi G.L.

beautiful work on the planking, I very much like that you are planking in oak, it looks very authentic, it gives the character of a real working ship. Well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

11 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hi G.L.

beautiful work on the planking, I very much like that you are planking in oak, it looks very authentic, it gives the character of a real working ship. Well done !

Nils

Thank you Nils.

Oak is a satisfactory wood to work with. I am also satisfied of the result. I was the first time I planked a hull.

G.L.

• 2 weeks later...

It is about time to think about the interior of the boat. I have only one contemporary sketch of how the vessel might look like. The sketch is now very precise. For example the crew shelter in the forecastle is not to scale at all. On my model I measure an average headroom of 1.2 meter, but the sketch shows al spacious cabin with two bunks behind each other. If I convert them to the real space I dispose of, I have such a small bunks that if they should lay me in it, I would never get out of them anymore.

167.bmp

For the interior work, I start with the deck beam shelves. First I mark the level of their topside by laying a lath from wale to wale. Holding a small piece of wood that has the altitude of a deck beam below the lath, I mark the inner side of each frame with a pencil line.

170.JPG

171.JPG

172.JPG

I saw the deck beam shelves as straight bars and soak them for a half an hour in water. Then I slowly bend them with the help of clamps to the to the curve of the model in the position where they have to come.

173.JPG

174.JPG

I dry them with a hair dryer and they keep more or less their curved shape. The shelves will be a little bit sunk in the frames, therefore I mark the positions on the frames on the bars (no picture of that).

175.JPG