Oostends schipje (Ostend shrimper) by G.L. - scale 1:20, building first POF Edition 2

Now I start to lay the lower deck. I use pine for the deck planks. I start with the midship plank. To obtain a straight line, I lay the first layer along a lath. I put a weight (small tin can filled with lead) on the glued planks to put some pressure on while drying.

180.JPG

Now the beam shelves and the lower beams are laid, I make the deck beams. There are 20 deck beams. I make paper templates of them, glue them on 6 mm thick planks and saw them with the hand fret saw. Afterwards I sand them with the band sander

185.jpg

186.JPG

187.JPG

Once the deck beams will be fitted in the model, it is important that their upper side is at the correct height. In this case that means one deck plank width below the top of the wale. I check the height with a small plank of 3 mm thickness (thickness of the deck) and mark the size of the notches to be sawn in the deck beams.

189.JPG

190.JPG

All the deck beams are made and laid in position. They are not glued yet because I want to divide the hull into compartments first and some of the beams must be shortened to make place for the hatch openings.

195.JPG

196.JPG

Part 9: Compartments below deck

Making the compartments:      
The hull is divided in three main compartments. A crew shelter in the front, in the middle a fish hold and sail/rope/net shed and aft a shrimp cooking store. The bulkheads between the compartments are made from pine planks and do not allways rest against a beam at the top. On the deck and the side face I glue small support slats. A wooden template with the deck beam curve on top indicates the height of the bulk head planks and props them while I glue them. The first plank is erected with the help of a triangle.

198.JPG

197.JPG

In the crew shelter were some bunks and a stove (see part 8 post 8.4). When I measure the space in the model, it is all very tiny, much more than the sketch in part 8/post 8.4 suggests. The headroom is only 120 cm. So there is no space for two bunks in line. I decide to make one bunk and a provisions locker.

203.JPG

201.JPG

202.JPG

204.JPG

The crew shelter is accessible via stairs.

Sawing of the stringers.

I see that I didn't make any more photos of the making process. Therefore I a add a picture of the end result. A bit difficult from between the frames.

208.JPG

209.JPG

Now the bulkheads are in place, the deck beams can be glued into position. Before doing that, I coat the inside of hull with a blend of 2/3 linseed oil and 1/3 turpentine. With the deck beams in place the inside of the hull won't be accessible any more

225.JPG

225a.JPG

226.JPG

5 minutes ago, G.L. said:

I make the stove with  a mixture of materials

G.L.

Your build is taking shape and looking very good. Really enjoyed the way you approached constructing the stove very nice.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

10: Finishing the jib boom support

In part 7, post 7.1 I made the stringers of the jib boom support. Now it is time to finish it. Once the deck is laid it can't been removed any more. I start with cutting the slots for the block on which the bowsprit will rest. The block is sawn from a small piece of oak and the round groove for the bowsprit was filed in it with a round file.

217.JPG

218.JPG

219.JPG