Oostends schipje (Ostend shrimper) by G.L. - scale 1:20, building first POF Edition 2

Great progress and beautiful work GL

A very clever idea, this tool 

364.JPG

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

Part 15:The sheer rail

The sheer rail is too long to make it in one piece. I make it in three parts. To obtain the shape of it I draw a template on the model with the help of a piece of cardboard.

396.JPG

397.JPG

Edited by G.L.

On the original boats all stanchions were incorporated in the bottom of the sheer rail. I will try to do this as well. That is also the reason why I left stick out the stanchions a little bit above the bulwark (See part 14.2).

405.JPG

404.JPG

Edited by G.L.

To find out where I have to make notches in the underside of the sheer rail, I hold the graphite pintle of a pencil in a long nose pliers and mark the stanchions on the sheer rail.

406.JPG

407.JPG

Edited by G.L.

Nice progress!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 2 weeks later...

Part 16: Coloring the model.

At this stage I want to paint my model. For me this is a very tense moment because now I can spoil all the work I made before. The Flemish fishing sloops were real working boats and they looked like that. It is not my intention to give my shrimper the look of a yacht or a pilot cutter. It has to look like the boats on the pictures below.

415.jpg

416.jpg

Lovely looking model. I really liked your method for making the rails.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

I have built my hull in oak, the wood that was used to build the real shrimpers. I would like to keep the grain of the wood visible through the paint. Therefore I use oil paint like painters use to paint on canvas. My wife is going to the art school, so I find everything that I need in her painting box.            
I use the paint strongly diluted with turpentine and to avoid that I have to wait several days before it is dry, I add some drips of siccative oil.      
In the 19th century most of the fishing boats in our region were black tarred, I want obtain a color which closes as much a possible a tarred hull. Therefore I mix lampblack with kraplack red. 1/3 red and 2/3 black above the waterline, 2/3 red and 1/3 black below the waterline. Before the paint dries completely, I rub it up with a soft cotton rag to spread the color equally over the surface.

423.JPG

Beautiful painted and very realistic.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

G.L. it really looks tarred. Well executed I must say.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana