Jump to content
mtbediz

San Francisco II by mtbediz - FINISHED

Recommended Posts

I really like the idea of adding the planks where the cannon rigging attaches to the bulwarks, I may be stealing that idea for my own build. Very nice indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, Warnerade said:

I really like the idea of adding the planks where the cannon rigging attaches to the bulwarks, I may be stealing that idea for my own build. Very nice indeed.

Thank you for visiting my log. I think there must be reinforcements where the cannon riggings are attached on the bulwarks against recoil. I would be glad if i contribute to your build. By the way, i was following your build on instagram  :)

Edited by mtbediz
adding some words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, Katsumoto said:

Very nice sir! Love the colour of the wood after the varnish. Clean build so far! 

Thank you sir :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The San Francisco has a special place in my heart. She was the first ship I built, (though the original version, not the San Francisco II) and I learnt a lot along the way. 

 

You are making great progress. She is looking great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

The San Francisco has a special place in my heart. She was the first ship I built, (though the original version, not the San Francisco II) and I learnt a lot along the way. 

 

You are making great progress. She is looking great.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, Good idea to hold the upper deadeyes with some nails and a wooden board. Well done. The "whipping" of the light colour rope looks excellent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Very nice, Good idea to hold the upper deadeyes with some nails and a wooden board. Well done. The "whipping" of the light colour rope looks excellent!

Thank you for your nice comment my friend. I saw that wooden board in one of the logs On MSW. It's really very usable and simplifies application, i recommend to everyone :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those ratlines are very tidy. Good job on the boat too. I think a lot of us have made the ship's boat instead of using the horrible metal one provided in the kit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

Those ratlines are very tidy. Good job on the boat too. I think a lot of us have made the ship's boat instead of using the horrible metal one provided in the kit!

Thank you. AL provides laser cut wood boat in the new version San Francisco kit now. Also the nests are made of laser cut wood in new version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Slowhand said:

This is definitely the best San Francisco I’ve seen to date.

Thank you so much for encouraging words :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I completed the life boat and started sails. Mizzen and main sails are on the masts now. By the way, one of my friends on the net warned me about violin blocks on the mainmast yard. I checked the kit instruction again and i saw he was right, they are upside down :( I am not sure if i want to remove and correct them. Probably i won't do it but i did the same mistake on the foremast yard and i will correct it because i haven't mounted it yet.

SF115.jpg

SF116.jpg

SF117.jpg

SF118.jpg

SF119.jpg

SF120.jpg

SF121.jpg

SF122.jpg

SF123.jpg

SF124.jpg

SF125.jpg

SF126.jpg

SF127.jpg

SF128.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would leave the violin blocks as they are on the main mast yard. It’s hardly noticable. 🙂

you make excellent progress and I really love the details and quality of you as a builder. Such a nice ship.

the picture where the main sail first is shown is spectaculair. 

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I would leave the violin blocks as they are on the main mast yard. It’s hardly noticable. 🙂

you make excellent progress and I really love the details and quality of you as a builder. Such a nice ship.

the picture where the main sail first is shown is spectaculair. 

 

Peter

Thank you Peter :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I would leave the violin blocks as well.

 

You are doing a good job adding the sails and rigging. 

 

I had a lot of fun researching and adding the rigging that was not included in the plans for my San Francisco. In fact I found rigging my San Fran an enjoyable experience - even the ratlines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

Yes, I would leave the violin blocks as well.

 

You are doing a good job adding the sails and rigging. 

 

I had a lot of fun researching and adding the rigging that was not included in the plans for my San Francisco. In fact I found rigging my San Fran an enjoyable experience - even the ratlines!

Thank you Caroline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking very nice. I think having sails make the ship come alive, though they can obscure the details on deck, that's why I partially furled the main sail on my San Francisco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 1:15 PM, vulcanbomber said:

Looking very nice. I think having sails make the ship come alive, though they can obscure the details on deck, that's why I partially furled the main sail on my San Francisco.

Thank you Caroline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done! She has a perfect spot in your house! Beautifull ship Mtbediz. You should be proud of yourself. I am wondering what your next project will be. 

 

Cheers,

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Well done! She has a perfect spot in your house! Beautifull ship Mtbediz. You should be proud of yourself. I am wondering what your next project will be. 

 

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you so much Peter. As you can see in my signature, i have an unfinished Santa Maria. I decided to finish her because i spent a lot of time for her before.

 

Regards,

Edited by mtbediz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 9:21 PM, vulcanbomber said:

Very nice Mustafa, she is a beauty. I shall have a look at your Santa Maria.

Thank you Caroline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
×
×
  • Create New...