US Brig Syren by Rustyj - 1:64 - Rigging Redo

Hi All,

Way back in 2007-2008 there was a Syren scratch group build here on MSW that was

lost in the great crash. This build was prior to the release of the Model Expo Syren

designed by Chuck Passaro.  I completed my Syren in 2008.

Unfortunately during our move to a new home she received some major battle damage

to the masting and rigging. Because of this I now have to redo the majority of the rigging.

As this was my first scratch build I have a certain affection for her and want to return her to her original condition.

As it’s been almost ten years since I last worked on the Syren I’m posting this here for help from

those of you that are either at this stage of your build or have more recently completed her.

Here’s a couple of pictures from long ago.

post-43-0-33342200-1363043799.jpg.6f50d754f67f37d1f25783368c2f09cd.jpg

post-43-0-53707000-1363043797.jpg.24383935f489472627b275b27e054226.jpg

The Main topgallant mast was snapped.

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.cd2fe0e63cb209e87b91013d4356106d.JPG

The flying Jibboom was broken.

IMG_0062.thumb.JPG.d8cd4dab415c685f0e2eb7cead336330.JPG

The boom also was damaged.

IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.504b5023a4617fdb6af50fb1c0539344.JPG 

It appears that all of the yards are ok but I will inspect them as I disassemble the rigging.  

IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.d7eedf28cd6da061f5de44cd81cb562e.JPG

She put up a valiant fight but just wasn't up to the ham fisted mover, ah me!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty - You are one of the best builders on this site. I am glad to see you redo your Syren. I hope to learn from you. Since you built yours from scratch before the kit was available. Maybe you can offer some insight on a few things.

First off, is it safe to assume you use Blocks from Chuck? If so can you offer an inventory list of your blocks and the sizes?

Also for the stern decorations, did you carve them? are yours from wood or Metal?

Last question (for now :)) Have some very nice Cherry. Can you recommend somewhere on the deck furniture that I might use Cherry?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Rusty,

Some heavy battle damage it appears.   Will you have re-rig or can you ease things back into their proper location and perhaps effect repairs without a major re-rig?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Knowing your demeanor I can't imagine you took this catastrophe in stride. But knowing your demeanor I know you have already heaved a sigh and will have at it. Restorations have their own special place in our endeavors and I am sure you will do a terrific job. I for one will be watching. And here I thought you only did admiralty models!!!!!

Joe

Hi Floyd,

It's great to see you're continuing your Syren! Unfortunately Chuck wasn't producing blocks when I started this

build so I used Warner blocks. I did not keep track of the blocks I used so I pulled the Model Expo inventory sheet

for the Syren and they list the blocks as follows. 310-3/32" Single Blocks, 55 -1/8' Single Blocks, 15-13/32' Single

Blocks, 36-1/8" Double Blocks, 36-3.5 Diameter deadeyes and 55-2.5 Diameter deadeyes.  The stern decoration was

carved. I love working with cherry and you could use it for any of the deck furniture, gun carriages and hatch combing etc. 

Mike, It's a going to be a major re-rig. The boom was the only one that could possibly be put back together and I just

couldn't do it. So It's a total tear down of the running rigging. I've already ordered new rope from Syren. I'm afraid

some of the standing rigging will have to be done too!

Hi Steve, I'm glad someone is looking forward to it! LOL I'm dreading it!

Hi Joe, Oh I had to let her sit for a year and a half before I could get up the ambition to re-do the rigging. As far as my models

go I've only showed you a fraction. Got to hold something back for future meetings. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty, you're a better man than me. I had a shipping disaster with a completed MS 

Flying Fish that I had sent to one of my daughters a few years ago (i posted pictures somewhere here at the time). It still sits in her attic awaiting my restoration. I gave it a few tries, but I just can't stand to look at it. I wish you the best with the project.

Bob

Hi Bob. Your reluctance is why it took me a year and a half to give it a go.

I figure you and others will keep me on track. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Tim, Thanks for stopping by.

Right now I'm removing all of the running rigging. I will then inspect the standing rigging. Right now I feel

I'll need to replace portions of them too. Once I get further into it I'll make some more decisions but I think

the masts will stay in place and just the yards will come off. Can't say for sure at this moment.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Alright first confession of rookie/newbie mistakes on the original build. Not thinking ahead to future disasters I

thought why not a drop or two of CA to the belaying pins to make sure that the lines and rope coils didn't come

loose. Well they didn't come loose but I can't get the lines free. Thus I will be redoing numerous pin rails, removing

the Fife Rail, Riding Bits and Gallows Bits and most likely remaking them too.

If I'm not careful I may find myself all the way down to the keel! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Ok I've jumped in with both feet now. All the running rigging has been removed as well as 8 pin rails,

fife rail, riding bitts and gallows bitts. The boom, main topgallant and the flying jibboom have all

been removed and I'll start remaking them.

The masts and yards are all in great shape and will be reused.  

IMG_0159.thumb.JPG.ba10876158bb09160f1b4f63bba88ace.JPG

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.258729be15b7a4fde8809e6910559375.JPG

IMG_0158.thumb.JPG.72eda4e55d8cb46e818aa191cc2151e4.JPG

And here's the pile of debris.

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.0045baba9bbb3fb38f90f36bf6ac239f.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty, I am sure Santa will bring you a bucket of patience for this project. I have been contemplating rigging my Confederacy and am looking forward to watching your

rerigging log for inspiration and guidance. 

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Hi Harley,

Now that I've finally started motivation and patience shouldn't be an issue. I look at it as a build that is just in the

rigging stage and not that I'm doing it for a second time. At least that's what I keep telling myself. 

Hi Joe,

All of the running rigging was removed. I did it all because most of the main mast rigging needed replacement

and the rope I used 10 years ago doesn't match the Syren rope I'm using now. Because of this I decided to replace

all of the running rigging.

Most of the standing rigging is good but I will determine what needs replacement after I finish making the replacement parts.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

This is just me but I would just go ahead and redo the Standing rigging while you are at it using the new Syren rope. My reasoning for this is that the Standing Rigging  is basically the backbone of all the rigging and it is 10 years older than the new running rigging and the age difference may cause an issue in a few years. My 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Hi Jim, 

As I dig further and further into this I think you are right. I've now found that the dolphin striker was

cracked and an attempt to repair it was unsatisfactory so off it came and all the rigging on the bowsprite.

I'm getting closer and closer.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

It seems that everything I've posted is going backwards. Well the trend continues.

As I've continued on all of the running and standing rigging has been removed and just the 

original shrouds and ratlines remain. Now hopefully I can start moving forward instead of reverse!

IMG_0165.thumb.JPG.0d66a946d16196d461490c63f2add691.JPG

Ok here is some positive action. The Main Top Gallant, Flying Jibboom and Dolphin Striker have been remade.

Next I'll start on redoing the pin rails. bitts etc.

IMG_0166.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Even with the busy pre-holiday activities I've been able to continue on. 

The Ridding and Gallows Bitts are done. There are made from pear.

IMG_0168.thumb.JPG.24c636b45e8ed85940e5b8445c841643.JPG

The main fife rail was made from 1/16" thick boxwood.  I also needed to make six stanchions. I cut some boxwood 1/16" strips.

I chucked them in the dremel just like making belaying pins. I sanded it round first, then using files I cut the profile on the stanchions.

Once done the stanchions were added and the entire piece was coated with wipe on poly.

IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.35e0e3fb3a841c1da6efe8b231ecb8cb.JPG

IMG_0169.thumb.JPG.2f0a0ab6c9f6c210c387d4f938f09cc6.JPG

On to the pin rails now.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Forward progress continues.

I've now made and installed the eight pin rails that were damaged and removed. I've also placed the

main fife rail as well as the gallows and riding bitts. You'll also notice the ships boat was removed

to give me more room to move about.

IMG_2525.thumb.JPG.3c1a839794dbc6a08005c7f9a9e81819.JPG

IMG_2526.thumb.JPG.f99056c389c728cf7b363ace49f7c31d.JPG

IMG_2527.thumb.JPG.e4fd34fc850e109abadc2dc7765ce0d9.JPG

Next I'll be starting the re-rigging of the bowsprite, jibboom and flying jibboom. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty - It isn't often we get to do this much rework on a finished model. Is there anything you would do differently now?

Also what type of wood did you use for your deck furniture? Is that Pear?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Rusty, I congratulate you on taking the big step of redoing the majority of the rigging all over again, it’s heartbreaking when our ships take damage, but your skill will make her whole again and better than ever.

ben

Hi Floyd,

It's been bothering me for a year and a half now. I could have left her be but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

I really wouldn't have done anything else differently except improve the quality of my work. Also the rope and

blocks available from Syren Ship Model Company is much better then anything I used back then. 

For the deck furniture I mostly used pear. The main rail was boxwood and the capstan was cherry.

Hi Ben,

You were one of my inspirations for bucking up and fixing something that needed redoing. Thanks buddy!   

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Ah its great to be back. Thanks to everyone for your hard work maintaining this site.

I've made more forward progress. The flying Jabboom and dolphin striker have been replaced. 

I've now rigged the two bobstays and bowsprit shrouds.

IMG_2529.thumb.JPG.19e4225a55c6d4443cc26d7225dca8f4.JPG

Next I added the inner martingale stays, the outer martingale backrope and outer martingale stays.

Also the foot ropes for the jibboom and flying jibboom were completed.

IMG_2530.thumb.JPG.f8b83ce9c0ba9b718847f5d020f241d2.JPG

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.0ef20981d6617f097fdb0ea26cbfb336.JPG

Next I have to serve the main stays and also create the mouse.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Bob. Kinda fun revisiting this build. 

Hi Jon. Thanks for stopping by and your kind words. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I served the main and fore stays and preventer stays, created a simulated mouse on each and installed them.

IMG_2536.thumb.JPG.99d98a93a6ad1b4f2c4a81753839b91a.JPG

IMG_2537.thumb.JPG.4770a3106cdbf6c9dc685b3f9c21ff87.JPG

Next up will be the main topmast stays.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues,

The main and fore top mast stays and preventer stays have been served and a simulated mouse created. 

The new main topgallant  has been placed and the stays attached.

IMG_2542.thumb.JPG.74ac796ed554f10ca398e125b2f0b9e7.JPG

IMG_2543.thumb.JPG.7cad6e381de36922119a70330618f737.JPG

Next up will be the main topgallant shrouds and backstays.

IMG_2541.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)