T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:30

Looking good.

Phew, glad we sorted the funnel thing out as I thought I'd missed something out. 

One of of the trickiest bits of the whole model for me was getting the two top rails on but you seem to have just done that with no sweat so hats off to you. Did you glue the two halves together first?

The marking on your deck, one is the pilot house but not sure what the other one is called but should it be the other side of the mast hole?

I planked the whole deck first and then fastened the two structures to the planked deck using thin strips of masking tape as placement guides. Are you fastening the structures first and then decking around them?

Cheers

John

I found that out John........saw the mistake when I went to look at the box.  I hope that's the last "DUH" move I make with this one.....don't know how I'm making all these silly mistakes.   I'm usually pretty good with Billing instructions....having built so many of their models,  I've come to an understanding of them.  the companionway structure has been duly moved ;)    what I plan to do with the planking,  is mark out all of the bulkheads and stagger my butt joints over them.  on larger models,  like the Nordkap {for instance}, I will go further and divide the areas between the bulkheads and draw lines there too.   it gives me more butt stagger lines and I can do the three and four butt stagger spacings.  to do it with just the bulkheads,  spreads them out too far......although on some models,  it's not a bad thing.   I won't plank where the structures are to locate,  so they will fit into the designated areas,  and not show those {sometimes annoying} separation lines.  I glue the cap rails on one at a time....it would be harder to install it as a complete unit.   With the Cux,  as well as the Mary Ann,  the stern is the tricky part....I've had to do small fixes here and there with the cap rail not conforming to the circumstance.   some of the problem lies with the thin plywood bulwark strips they supply with the kit......they just don't bent like that {I even tried soaking them}.   I like to save the parts panels and clone hulls from them.  so far, with this method,  I built the M&M Fun Ship,  and the Trawler Syborn.   I did this as well,   with the Boulogne Etaples kit and cloned three other hulls from it......from that bunch,  only one has made it to becoming the Holiday Harbor fleet.......the others went on to become the Andrea Gale {which is in the gallery},  and another {no name} fishing boat.  the reason I mention this,  is that even the ones I cloned didn't have the problem so bad......I planked the bulwarks in stead of making the panels.   I assembled the funnel last night after I left here......gave it a couple of small changes.  I did a few other things to before I called it quits......I should have an update soon.   I'm also modifying the starboard winch......got an idea in store for it.  I hope it's not too hair brained and makes sense ;) 

thanks Patrick......I think that's the first time I ever had to do that.   I usually tend to plank over everything.  these vessels have that characteristic high 'rump'.  the other Billing kits do as well......I added the 'bump' rail at the stern to mimic the other models.  my babies got 'booty'  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Had to laugh at all your medicine bottles. I also keep a good supply of them. One day my brother in laws were visiting and they saw them all and said it must take a lot of drugs to build these ships. They are not too far off, I think.:)

oh god Tom...you haven't seen everything yet  :D  :D   you see,  the admiral has been disabled since the mid 90's.......back problems,  shoulder problems,  and lately,  she has been having trouble with her right knee.   she sees a pain management doctor and takes meds on a regular basis.   these bottles add up over a period of time....leave it to me to find a use for them.   kit boxes can be quite large,  so I save all of my boot boxes to store the smaller part in.  as for the fittings,  they are separated and put in bottles......figure that I have several boot boxes...each one can have as many as several bottles.   if I order extra parts...they go in my inventory bin.

5a5f891387cf7_myinventory.jpg.a9f4d345cae256fed3465a0475aee640.jpg

I've got everything in here.........from super fine sawdust,  to parts from builds gone by.  some of this stuff I should toss {probably never use them again},  but I'm a confirmed pack rat....so I save everything  ;)    the wood strips are tagged and put in a special tube,  which is part of my wood organizer

5a5f8c915363c_woodorganizer.jpg.a24c522f3c2f9c82975cf84d78d9c58f.jpg

At the moment,  I have it in the plastic room,  but soon I hope to get it set up near the wood table so I don't have to walk a mile to get anything.   I try to keep things organized,  but occasionally,  I fumble around looking for stuff.   yea......I kinda rambled on this one,  but I think it's neat to see how folks set up their work stations.  if it were me,  and I heard a comment like that....I'd just tell them "nawww....I don't take drugs.......I go 'green'! " ;)  {I don't now......but my younger days was groovy}  now a days,  I jes' relies on me spinach....AK_K-k-k-k-k!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

some of this was done last night before I hit the bunk.   after the revelation John gave me,  I assembled the funnel AKA the exhaust stack.  the muffler part was assembled on the smaller brass tube.  putting the base on led to a small snag......the hole in the base would not accept the brass tube....too small.   in my inventory, I have some 2 mm brass rod.....perfect to link these two parts together.

5a5f93652f656_1.jpg.17708dfbab7c45f977135f5e0d19bd5c.jpg

the tube went over the rod without any fuss at all.   once assembled,  I thought a bend would be a nice touch.  so I filed in a cut near the top of the tube.

5a5f93c9b32d6_2.jpg.28d4c342db873c283d3580664304c1d6.jpg

a pair of pliers was used to make the bend,  and the cut was soldered shut.  once painted, it will never be seen again.

5a5f9417046bf_3.jpg.0aa6557d629ed9a3ee54a7110518eba3.jpg

the tops of the two structures were painted next with Billing's satin brown......with the exception of the hull paint,  I've used Billing's paint so far.   one of these days I hope to use it all up.   it's not a bad paint......but it's been a few years since I got it all,  and it seems to be going bad.  back when Tom closed up shop,  he must have sent me what inventory he had left.  I've opened some bottles,  only to find that the paint had either thickened to a gel,  or dried completely....for this I blame poor packaging {bad cap seals}.   it smells the high heavens,  but for shine and durability,  it's excellent stuff.   it's getting harder to spray from an airbrush, and using a paint brush,  it's like mopping tar,  unless you thin it like crazy.

5a5f95e4ad45e_4.jpg.e0bb96d945b314b7a2b13abaa624a86d.jpg

I plan on doing the cap rails with it....I may wait till I get the hull painted {the house is still debating that}.   I also assembled a couple of other fittings.......the life raft locker got it's supports cemented on,  and the radar mast was assembled.

5a5f96c55100c_5.jpg.0f292ca4bb473d2d8c34a45d031b16cf.jpg

the warping drums,  extra lengths of 2 mm rod, are also present.   the next focus was on the starboard winch.   the front plate was added to the bottom,  on the large reel end of the winch.

5a5f974017e67_6.jpg.f848525e4bb76adee361a2f604a1a466.jpg

those circles are supposed to be rollers......reels....drums......whatever you want to call them.  me......I'm kinda curious about them......what are they supposed to look like?   the two for the top of the winch are likely used as tensioners......I'm thinking that the large one in the front would be a drum for a net,  and the back one {the smaller one},  is for line.  the sad part is that I've no reference of one in operation....that would answer a lot of questions.  so I'm gonna go with this assumption...if I'm wrong,  I can always make new parts from dowel.  these round thing are made from disc that are cemented together.....two for each one.   the large one is missing here.......I'm working on that one first......I started it and finished it this morning.  at first,  I tried to use a file,  keeping it to the center of the circumference.  after coming to the conclusion that it wasn't working well,  I took a length of 1/4" plastruct hollow tubing,  and CA'd some medium grit sandpaper around it.  working much better,  I worked my way around the part,  till my fingers cramped.  at this point,  I stuck it in the vise and continued the process.

5a5f9c18c11df_8.jpg.94129b0bb06eb7a92c161bb8c29a504a.jpg

I can't mount the vise on the new table :(   I was able to go completely around the part,  trying to stay as even as possible.   when I arrived at the depth desired,   the smaller one was done the same way....I'm unsure if I should do the other two,  so I'll leave them as they are for the time being.   what I ended up with was this:

5a5f9e4b94477_9.jpg.853452152b8f3e094e24c6aa066a20fc.jpg

it gets even better........when I got the Nordkap for Christmas,  of course I had to look inside the box.   there was the wood,  a bag of thread,  dowels,  and stuff,  but there was also a couple of items the previous owner bought for the kit.   there was a bag of four,  3 X 3 mm beech strips,  and this package of netting.

5a5f9f4cb7459_10.jpg.2b6db3da13803b4f794d9f57fd03fbfc.jpg

the mesh looks like it would be perfect for a seine net.  even if all of it doesn't fit into the winch,  I can have it strewn onto the deck........or possibly,  I can incorporate a boom.  I dunno.......I'll need to look at the boats a bit further to see what my limits are.   it's been snowing since late last night......I suppose I'll need to snow blow soon.   I'll push on to get further along ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Don't worry I had plenty of Duh moments on mine which I haven't mentioned yet. I promise I will come clean when I do my back dated build log later in the week. 

Looking back I think I took the easy route regarding the decking on mine (structures on Decking) but didn't know any better and the instructions didn't give any clues. As you say the Billing instructions presume you have previous knowledge of these things. I think your plan of doing the decking and leaving the structure areas clear makes a lot of sense and will be more elegant when complete. I look forward to seeing and learning.

I like the funnel bend, nice touch. 

Good look on finding any winch info. I just copied what was on another model in the end. 

Keep up up the cracking work

Cheers

John

Some very nice details you are creating Denis; that charlie noble looks great - the bend really sets it off!

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Great news on the prop Denis, glad you found it. It would otherwise be rather tough sculling that boat with a sculling oar.

Nice progress and adding some detail stuff, great going my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thank for all you folks look'in in.....I've always enjoyed the comments and support you folks bring to the table.   thanks for the likes as well  :) 

you hit the nail on the head John.......it says that in the description on the older Billing kits.  that's why the older kits sold the fitting kits separately.  they assume you have some knowledge......jeeze,   even their advanced beginner's kits can be daunting.  the instructions are vague...no doubt about it,  they take a bit of getting used to ;)   when I build a model,  I look for pictures of real ships.  I want to see functionality......how something really looks.   most models you see in searches are done per the kit......it's easy to tell if the model pictured,  is done by someone who added in the extra detail......an effort to build a replica.   here on the site,  is another good place to get ideas and insight..and to ask questions.   it's hard when the ship you want to model has very few pictures to research.  I had a fellow send me a folder with over 100 pictures of ships......I have even more that that on the Gothenborg.

I still have the model.......hit the floor a couple of times and got damaged.   one of these days,  I'll haul 'er into drydock and start repairs......I wouldn't be surprised if I have to clone another hull though {another story}.  thanks for the good word.......I wanted to get going on the deck,  but I ended up giving my son's car the last rites.  internal engine noises are NOT a good sign  ;) 

I've not heard that phrase before Pat .......another name for the funnel?  ;) thanks for the good word.....painted it will look better.  I even thought about adding a shield around the muffler section,  like I did with previous work boats.  what do you think?

thanks Piet.......I must be in a terrible fog lately......either didn't notice,  or I forgot that there was a prop for this model.   I thought the same thing.....if you read earlier,  I was going to add one....but I didn't have one in my inventory small enough.  the sails on this boat are not meant to propel the boat....like the lobster boat, they keep the boat steady as they deploy the net.  I have a few ideas for her.....I do hope that if I go too far out on a limb,  one of the fine folk here will steer me back on course.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

It may be the programmer in me but I took great pride in methodically making mine look exactly like the picture on the box. I think it's the way my brain works. With it being my first model and me being a novice I presumed the kit was historically correct but I've learnt an important lesson.

I suppose what's important really is we all enjoy the journey (tick) and the finished result (tick)

Hopefully on my future journeys I'll learn from all you guys and also get more adventurous and scratch build a little.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

John

Edited by Johnnyreg

even plastic models get things wrong........I always thought that too,  until I started seeing sites like this,  and some of the things folks do with their kits.  with wood kit,  I came to the conclusion that most kits are generic.  unlike plastic,  where one set of molds can produce kits of different variants,  wood kits have only a few that can be build to portray different subjects.  one sterling example with wood concerns the Mordant,.....although I forget the kit that it can be built from.....I think it is the Sovereign of the sea kit {I forget the manufacturer}.  basically,  just about any kit has a variant,  they just need to be outfitted differently.  the best example in plastic would be Revell's 1:96 scale kit series.  I have both,  the U.S.S. Constitution and the U.S.S. United States.....I have yet to do the comparison,  but the United States was cloned from the Connie kit.   the Thermopylae was cloned from the Cutty kit,  and the C.S.S. Alabama was cloned from the U.S.S. Kearsarge kit.

I hope you didn't get the wrong impression.....you did a fantastic job on your Norden......I would never say otherwise.  all I meant is that building per the kit is good,  but for those who have knowledge about the subject {the ship},  they want to add in all of the inaccuracies that the kit does not.   that's where bashing and scratch building comes in.  I recall my first wood build....I was as green as the pasture......not gluing between the planking was my biggest pho-par......I paid dearly for that come paint time.  being an old, non laser cut kit,  I learned scratch building early.......and my being a nut about functionality,  bashed aspects of the kit early as well. 

I tried to look up the ship......all I got was pictures of the model.  the ship must have gone under another name or something.....I never got to see an actual picture of her.  your next project is blessed.......there are many knowledgeable folks here on the site that have built the Fly.   you can be assured that seeing what and how they built their model,  it will be correct and accurate of the subject.   have you started the log on her yet?  I'll keep an eye out for it :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I totally agree Denis with all that you say. Elsewhere on this site I've seen the difference between a supplied cast part and a scratch built substitute and I think we would all agree which looks better. Also your funnel bend and "groovy" winch spools are so much more accurate. I totally get it.

I came on this site to learn, get feedback and share, so don't worry, all is good. 

I will do a build log of the Fly but it may be mainly a winter thing as the Admiral and I like getting out and about and we have an allotment to look after in the warmer months.

I promise to do some scratch work on my Fly build as well ;)

Looking forward to your next update.

Cheers

John

totally understandable about the summer months........most folks do more of their modeling during the winter months.  this is a hobby........chores and life thing need to be addressed first.  me...I tend to model year round,  but I have my to do lists too ;)     you will get to try your hand at scratch building......you can bet on it.  but you'll get more satisfaction from it......and you'll enjoy it more.   it's kinda like the Karate kid.......Miagi....."think tree" :D   I see your looking in on probablynots {Brian} build log.....good !    there are a couple of other, I think.   looking forward in seeing the start of your new log.........no shelving this time  ;) 

note to self.....commitment.......desire.......determination......and research.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My other hobbies are photography/aircraft and music -synths(used to be in an 80s band);)  so sometimes I feel the urge to do other things, but always feel the need to return to our fine forum with all my mates:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

this is my main hobby now.........I need to get my butt practicing the bass again though.   I still write my build logs on Word Press,  Blogger,  and Weebly,  but I don't write as much as I used to.......haven't written a decent poem in a while either.   I visit my friends here regularly ;) 

I did get a little bit done yesterday.........the scuppers ;)    thought I had forgot about them.........huh!?!?!?!!?    one side came out uneven with the rub rail......I fixed it as best I could.   I might have one of them a teeny bit off from the others.......I may fix it........I may not......depends on what the fix curtails.   after all...it is a work boat ;)    it took the morning to cut them out and sand to shape.   I took one picture,  fresh in the paint booth,  after touching up the scuppers,  rub rails,  and rudder.

5a6205ec242f1_1.jpg.2ec6f0c7fe1f01735535e86da6f7d23d.jpg

I haven't touched up the other side yet,  nor the margins inside.   I figure I can do all that,  once I get the hull paint on.......I'm leaving the scuppers masked over till I do.   later,  I brought the hull back to the table,  after the other side had dried enough.

5a62073a19b1f_2.jpg.6801385a90ed674436e8a104cd636271.jpg

this is the good side....here is the bad side {what I consider,  anyway ;) } 

5a6207771a6b5_3.jpg.da161b23f9dc879c26d021da87d2c11e.jpg

I did some work to the structures while all this was going on.   I drilled out the holes for the winch on the pilot house base,  but for some obscene reason,  the plywood plys that make up these parts began to split apart and break {my guess is weakened by the laser cutting}.   I pieces them back together and will redrill the holes....but I really don't think it's a good idea to try and go for the 2 mm brass rod.   I will look at some other way to accomplish the assembly.......I want to do something with it anyway.....I don't like the drum.   sad........orange is out.......I keep mentioning it......and the admiral's face shrivels up like a prune!  I hate prunes :(     I mentioned Hunter Green.......I won't tell you what she said about that....this is a family show  ;) .......I guess Brunswick Green is out too :( 

she wants kind of a sea blue........I have some Duck Egg Blue,  but it's a Billing paint......might not fair well with the air brush......I'll look into it more.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yes I noticed all the fly logs, ten in all, soon to be eleven ;). I'm slowly reading them all, phew.

No shelving this time, promise 

<tease>I've made a start on it and....... read the build to find out ;) </tease>

Back to your beauty... 

I might of missed something but which bit were you thinking of doing orange, below the waterline?

mentioned it to my Admiral and she pulled a face as well. 

Cheers

John

the upper paint color.......I plan on using olive drab for the bottom.   I'll find a use for all that orange sooner or later ;)    I just finished a project that I could do a log on......but don't dare.   it's just too outrageous and odd.   the admiral seem to get a kick out of it,  but wouldn't come near, 'cuz it's plastic  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"Ummmmmm  - Intriguing".

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looks great Denis, coming on very nicely.  If you can't use the orange here, perhaps think of doing a lighthouse or oil rig tender next <hint> ;) :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
typo

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

sorry on the late reply folks......I was here the other night,  but I should know better.   I fell asleep at the computer and knocked out my browser :default_wallbash:    when I do that,  my hand is usually on the mouse.......subliminally clicking in lala land.   I'm usually pretty tired when I get out of work.   As said.......I should know better.

I started to do the hull painting......should have something pretty soon :) 

thanks Pat......I should do a tanker.....or a ship like Andy's doing.  then I can probably use most of it up  ;)    it won't be orange anyway.....the admiral won.

no Glenn,  I'm an enamel man......I don't use acrylics {not that I don't like them,  I have never used them}.  one of these days,  I do plan on doing an S.S. Olive Oyl, but I want to find figures first,  so I can evaluate the scale ;) 

OC.......I'll PM you with pictures so I don't scare the natives  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

good progress Denis,

thats a very nice fishing vessel..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Nils!    that is......if I don't fall asleep at the helm!  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

sorry on the late reply folks......I was here the other night,  but I should know better.   I fell asleep at the computer and knocked out my browser :default_wallbash:    when I do that,  my hand is usually on the mouse.......subliminally clicking in lala land.   I'm usually pretty tired when I get out of work.   As said.......I should know better.

I started to do the hull painting......should have something pretty soon :) 

thanks Pat......I should do a tanker.....or a ship like Andy's doing.  then I can probably use most of it up  ;)    it won't be orange anyway.....the admiral won.

no Glenn,  I'm an enamel man......I don't use acrylics {not that I don't like them,  I have never used them}.  one of these days,  I do plan on doing an S.S. Olive Oyl, but I want to find figures first,  so I can evaluate the scale ;) 

OC.......I'll PM you with pictures so I don't scare the natives  ;) 

I got the pics  - Well Cool   I used to collect Captain Scarlet figures and vehicles  - "but thats another story hhhmmmm  clears the throat"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I think when finished you should get some real miniture fishes for it.

Oc.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Popeye, just been reading through your log, she is coming alone very nice, i saw that you have recently had a few problems which brought to light the slow progress on my build, as i dont have any instructions at all, i am finding it very difficult to complete one part before moving on, every time i see another photo, i see something else to be added, 

although uncompleted the Victory was just the opposite, i had instructions, photo's but as my skill levels improved i kept going back and redoing things, to the extent i gave up and put her to one side, the Bismarck was so different, I started at part one and went through to the end, and added more details I went along

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hi Kevin,

problems.......which one.......the quest for knowledge,  or the fact that I was in a fog  :D    awwww,  we all have those moments.   I've had ship builds, that I didn't have any problems,  and then there were the ones that gave me nothing but grief.   it's tough doing a scratch build.......I've fared just as well in that arena as well.

I rarely ever go back to fix things.   I tell this to anyone getting into the medium........build it.....don't look back,  just go forward.   after the second or third model,  look at the first one......they can see their experience rise with each build.   I know though where your coming from.....she's a big lady......you want her to be perfect, I understand.  my admiral gets upset every time she sees me obsessing over things....."it looks good enough!" she says......"move on or you'll never get anything done."  I think it depends on the subject......one subject you might click with more than another........you might have to put more thought into one,  more than another.  I'd like to build a Norske Love.......do I think I'd ever finish her?   I have the Gothenborg sitting in the hallway......it's been there for some time now.

she's hit the floor a couple of times......I might have to do a total redo.   how about that.....we each have a closet monster ;)   we both know that one of these days,  we'll have to pull those monsters out....and get 'em done without look'in back.   pictures can add time to a build.....I've got over a hundred pictures of the Goth........but that's the problem.......how much detail do you want to add?   the only remedy,  is to set a goal and stick with it.   for this model,  I wanted to expand too much,  I think.  I'm beginning to think that I can't go as far as I would like.  so,  I'm going to settle for the ideas I have and go with it.  we do the best we can with the projects we have on the table.....the next one will always be better that we have ever done.  Don Quixote fights the windmill.......and Sancho shakes his head.

I could freeze dry some minnows OC.......would that work?  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis

If you want to use up your orange, (Or just put a dent into it) you might consider building the Dumas USCG 44 foot lifeboat. In it's USCG colors you would have no need for orange at all but the RNLI of Great Britain used the same vessel and their colors are a royal blue hull with gray decks and ORANGE superstructure. They have a thin white waterline and red below that. MUCH more interesting colors than the USCG!

Just helping you spend more money so that you can use some of that orange paint! :D

Lou    

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey