T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:30

Hi John

I could be wrong but in this video it appears that the fish are actually going through the rollers along with the net. The rollers appear to be made like wide tires, possibly under low inflation and possibly only their own weight that allows them to have enough traction to pull the net but still have enough give to allow the fish to pass through without getting squished. I do agree that the videos posted the other day seem to show the fish being thrown to the side as the net passes through the winch.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi Denis  :)

I just point out that the model ship Norden, which you build model of, is not designed to be landed - the many videos that are with boths are some very special and very few. - they are broader than the Norden  and are supplied with support wood keel and extra reinforcements at the bottom. Billing boats also have a model of such a vessel that named  Bent.  ( 5006 coastbot Bent ). The Norden  is a plain boat that needs a harbor space like most other ships
The winz you  discussions that are located at the wheelhouse are for unloading via rops throug the mast and the boom .  and for other  fishing teknike , and for anker up as well , in other words -- multi purpose function . 

Cheers 

Jens

I love the video!!!  nothing like fresh flounder.........caught and prepared in the same day :)   don't get no better than that!   I guess I need to revamp my thoughts on the net winch......as mentioned,  I can make the drums out of dowel.   I just hope I have the correct diameter :o   last night after I left here,  I went to the table and fixed the anchor.......got rid of that nasty lump of solder.  then I started to play around with making a sluice table.......this is showing some promise  ;)   this is a relatively small boat though......there might not be enough room for it,  but I think a short one will look good.   if this was a larger vessel,  room could be better allocated for catch bins and like detail.   .....and yes,  I do believe this is gill netting,  now that I see how the fish was removed from the net.  here I am trying to look up articles about netting.......I should have been looking in you tube!  ;)    the best thing about this particular video,  is the operation of the winch that is supplied in the kit,  although I will have to come up with one of those net separators.   I may be able to incorporate ideas from all the videos!  thanks John and Samson for posting them.....they are wonderful!  :)  

thanks for all the likes!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Imagna - yes that's exactly what I wanted Denis to see. The fish and the nets (gill nets I think) go between the rollers, under their own weight as you noticed. I wish I'd seen this video before I built my Norden as it's highlighted a mistake I made on mine

The 2 bits with the red arrow should be more vertical and, more importantly, should be attached to the silver side frame (mine aren't). The joint where the green arrow is where the rollers pivot or hang under their own weight. Denis will do it correctly I'm sure ;)

IMG_2362.thumb.jpg.0995b1fcaa989f96761edb9e9aed18ab.jpg

Edited by Johnnyreg

I noticed that the Coast boat Bent is being discontinued again...at least,  that's what I saw on the Billing Home site.   thanks for the head's up Samson......I knew that most boats are moored,  but know little about beaching boats.  I kinda figured that the bottoms had to have been beefed up,  to withstand being dragged like that,  considering how much they must weigh.  as for the winch on the pilot house base......strange concerning the anchor,  considering how far it is from the bow.  but I did notice a sliding cover near one,  that suggests that the anchor rope could be routed under the deck.   again,  you have been very helpful.....thank you :) 

hello Lou........yes....I see that ;)    I had my doubts about it,  but that's the reason why I like seeing aspects in operation.   you get a lot more insight,  when seeing something like this in operation.   I did come up with a neat way of making winch reels {or concave drums},  so it wasn't a total loss.  I figured the top rollers were spring tensioned,  so it could grip the ropes.......buy thinking it might have an adverse affect on the catch.   the winch in the earlier video is a different configuration,  to route the catch off to the side,  while using the rope part to haul it in.  I like that type too,  and would be very easy to scratch build.   I was tempted to do just that.  now that I see how this winch works,  I won't bother :)   thanks for looking , and the kind comment.

thanks Ferit for the good word  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks again John......now that see how this winch is supposed to work,  I hope to get it right.   yours doesn't look too bad at all.......I like your use of color  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Denis. You won't be able to sleep tonight with all these options to think about ;) but i guess that's what floats your boat (see what i did there) ;)

I recall my mother telling me about my father waking her up in the middle of the night,  asking for a screwdriver or a wrench.......of course,  he was asleep  :)   I haven't gotten to that point yet,  but the admiral has asked me how big around was the log I was sawing last night?!?!  :D:D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John

Now that you know how the winch works it would not be all that much trouble to modify yours as well. You already have a fine start. You should get to take some advantage of your own research after all.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Denis,

The anchor may be just for "safety" if they need to ride out a storm before hitting the beach or even one the beach so a storm wouldn't pull her back into the water?  Just speculating...  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I made up a couple new drums,  to replace the ones I modified.   working on the winch and a few other things today.......update soon my friend  :) 

I should check out you tube more often  ;) 

hi Mark.......yea,  I wasn't going to omit the anchor,  but the supplied one just didn't fit the boat

never mind......I got enough for a small update :)    I toyed around this morning and made up a sluice table {sounds like a good name for it}  it really wasn't hard to come up with,  although it's a bit too long.   if I use it,  I'll need to cut it down.   the height is good though.

5a723d9245e6e_1.jpg.6d8d0b99ca2b71b0845f7e06c0af693e.jpg

I made another one last night...but it curves in the opposite direction.  one change I could make,  is how the buoys are stored.  the bin that they are in can be for the net.......the buoys,  I'll hang them off the bulwarks,  or in handy places about the deck.  it was time for me to pay the piper.......I modified the winch drums, now it's time to replace them.   with the new info about this winch,  I see that I'm going in the wrong direction.  pt replace the larger drum,  I traced circles on some 1/8 basswood and cut them out......four of them did the trick.   they were then glued together........I did the same for the smaller one.

5a723fc8995b2_2.jpg.40636f51be2e0f33c38a68d1cc7cf77d.jpg

these will be put in the odd parts bin.........or will they?  I have such an urge to cement the pilot house on the deck.........but I can't at this time.  I still have a few things to add to it.

5a72403b5b5a7_3.jpg.d10116b6a87c52886b5af1922c5b47d0.jpg

as for the winch on the pilot house base,  since it seems that it has a multi purpose to it,  I will address it as such.   I'm going to replace that drum on it,  load it up with rope,  and put a hook or something on the end.  I'll leave it at that  ;)    but.......what will this drum look like?   hmmmmmm....well,  I do have an extra reel that I had made for the trawler Syborn.......

5a72412478509_4.jpg.38ccb4f967590d05c8e244a09ed59aff.jpg

.....or.....I can take the smaller drum that I modfied,  and use it here.  let's see...........

5a7241615210e_5.jpg.8972430c9df3cec1c7e8afbb611156ec.jpg

hey now........put that little dog house in behind it,  and I think we have a winner!   wind some rope on it ans it should look fairly decent ;)   holes were drilled in the upper edge of the winch,  and the frame bars for the upper drums were bent to shape and inserted in place.  all they need now is the swivel bars and the brackets for the drums.

5a7242c467bf1_6.jpg.3d95f1d10bdc7de587fdc0c93b6c16e6.jpg

yea.....I also drilled holes for the lower drum axles.   the drums have been painted......and the cold bin holds have been assembled.   I should have more before I hit the bunk tonight  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

John

Now that you know how the winch works it would not be all that much trouble to modify yours as well. You already have a fine start. You should get to take some advantage of your own research after all.

Lou

Thanks Lou

I was thinking about it and I may do some time in the future but I've got my focus on another build now. Not ruled it out though. Beside I want to see how Denis does it first;)

Looking great my friend, so much attention to detail,  just dont ask me about fishing boats  - I thought fish came from the supemarket.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just a couple of thoughts on what you have done.

If you watch the video again I sure that the gill net winch fixed brackets are an upturned "L" shape, the same as the kit. They are attached to one side frame only. If you imagine that you've retrieved half the net and fish and you get a jam up, you would want to pull the net out from the side, sort the problem out, then slide the net sideways back between the spools.

On the winch spindle I think the centre part I have indicated is crudely supposed to represent a differential gear box (like on a car) to make the outer spools turn in the same direction.

IMG_2353.thumb.jpg.2ab340da1b506e73b40d93df61e2e9d3.jpg

Looking really good Denis

I hate to be the wet blanket here....but do you want to risk damaging your model?   the advice I would give to any beginner is to leave it as is.  after you've done a couple more models,  take a look at your first one.  you'll see the experience you've gained.  besides.......you called  "done"  ;) 

thanks OC........the admiral and I were playing.......you should have seen her!  having fun like a school girl! :D  :D you ought to see :ph34r:what we came up with  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some very nice progress there Denis, looking good!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat.......other than gluing on the forward structure before I sealed the deck..things are going smoothly.  tonight is paint night...getting parts assembled that need it,  and of course,  painting.   I had to laugh....the admiral actually played around a little with it.  nothing serious.....just put some parts on,  in strange places.

I'm about to do an update on some of the antics.  thanks for the good word  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

more was done this evening......mostly painting and prep.   the winch drums,  sampson post and the two smaller posts,  the collar and bracket I made for the aft mast,  as well as some touch ups.

5a72998119268_7.jpg.d42b8beea205fe61d6330df8bd99b3f6.jpg

the admiral came over to the table and started play'in with the parts,  putting the raft locker in the middle of the deck.   then she proceeded to make fun of my sluice table........why doesn't it fit,  and stuff like that.  I'm laughing....I told her that the model is missing something.  curious,  she asked what it was........and I told her....ladders!

5a729a55b8da0_8.jpg.79f06dd9d16a491edc28afe12af2c592.jpg

I forgot when I made these.......had to be something silly.  I could roll one up and stow it away in some out of the way place.  OK now......go read something before you break your boat  :D  :D   I did some assembly to the cold bin hatches....... cemented on the hold box......I'll be painting them soon.

5a729bdf70a72_9.jpg.6dac2b96932d429cafbd0278368da505.jpg

the nave light boxes are in place and painted,  as well as the tow smaller posts....waiting for them to dry.

5a729c1c1f429_10.jpg.d21fd0cf3fec5fa8abdc188d74f84019.jpg

the buoy bin,  the spot light were assembled,  but not complete.  that little dog house is done too.

5a729c4d1bfb6_11.jpg.921fb38b8ef19fe58e68051b537c1722.jpg

more parts painted.....the raft locker and the anchor.  have I mentioned that this model is being painted with mostly Billing's paint.  some of it I'm having to thin,  because it getting really thick.

5a729cf315d11_12.jpg.6bf48121afb0a12e1abbddf4738c5eed.jpg

there are a pair of railings that go on the forward structure........they are assembled,  but likely need some sanding.   after,  they will be painted flat white.

5a729d4aaa78a_13.jpg.f9313184c28729de9bdfceb40bb06198.jpg

the last thing I'm gonna do,  before I hit the bunk, is fill the lenses on the lights.  I fill them with Testor's window maker / cement.  it's made to cement clear plastic parts..when it dries,  it dries clear........barely can tell it's there.  when it's dry in the lights,  I'll take a fine paint brush and put the appropriate paint inside,  to color the lenses..... red and  green for the nave lights,  either yellow,  white, or silver for the other light.  I'm gonna do something with the spot light too.....not gonna leave it like that.

5a729f06301b9_14.jpg.e69c8b4ab19d8f9d913aef85b894cc71.jpg

probably hard to see......here are all three.   after they are filled,  I usually lay them lense down,  so the window maker doesn't slide inside......it's a gravity thing  ;) 

5a729f9579e2f_15.jpg.0b233cf3f1c41df29a3f841308bfe095.jpg

they'll be dry by morning.   good night ladies and gentlemen

5a72a024b150b_mecanospinach.JPG.8774e709150f47cb7dbac02dd0fdde7a.JPG

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John :)   with all this painting,  I should be able to really put some good progress on the model.  I do have to say though,  this has been an interesting build so far.  raised a lot of questions.  Billing's could have made this model a bit more distinct....there are so many model worthy examples of this boat out there ;) 

it's a great kit for those who like to bash and scratch build ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

14 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

wind some rope on it ans it should look fairly decent

Denis,

Excellent job on the winch,  can see it hauling in a fresh catch!

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

hello Walter........so good to see you  :)   I hope all is well and you are back to the table,  although I've seen no updates.  thanks for the good word  :) 

hello John......good to see you as well :)   I hope to attain that much realism,  but I'll settle for a nice looking model  ;)   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lots of nice looking "stuff" done Denis, great progress.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Lawrence and Piet :)   I had a few weird moments...my own doing too ;)    I think I can finish the model now without any more hiccups {I hope}  I should have an update real soon now......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lots of great work with all those bits and pieces  and you get to eat some yummy healthy food after in that there tin,   you will be flying  along at supersonic speed.;)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

it's been a trial tonight OC.......the kit wants you to use eye bolts for the little railings on the pilot house.  I have some of the really short stanchion pins.  in earlier Billing's kits,  they were supplied for eye bolts.  well......they don't look the part,  so I ordered up a bunch of the really small and medium size eye bolts,  and use these for hand railings.  anyway.....I had one in my needle nose pliers,  ready to cement it in it's hole...when------->ZING!  off it went!  I looked all over for it.  while I was looking for it,  I must have disturbed the assortment tray for the Thermopylae parts....and then THEY were all over the floor!  I got no finger nails,  so here I am with a flashlight and a pair of tweezers,  picking everything up.  done with that......and not finding the part I had lost,  I took Gibbs out for his evening outing.  when I came back in,  I took another quick look {since I would be short 1 if I didn't find it},  and there it was!   it was right there in the open......don't know why I didn't see it earlier.  I didn't look at the color scheme for the model.....I went off on my own like I always do.  I hit onto the radar and looked to see what Billing's suggested,  and all I saw were the numbers of the paint......no names......bother!   so,  I went to the USA site and looked up the colors.  it seems that I was fairly on target with the colors after all....the pale gray,  the satin brown,  the sea blue,  were all in the list.  I went back to work.......I kinda hurried........made a tiny boo boo,  but once it's on there,  there's no going back.  still looks good :)    it's getting late my friend.....better get the latest update posted before I hit the bunk.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

if you've read the post above,  it's been an aggravating night.  almost ready to throw it in for the evening...but no.  I've had worse nights ;)   earlier I had stuffed a fine brush in the nav lights, to color the lenses.  one of them,  being small,  did fill with the window maker......I just drill it out.  but somehow,  I got confused I guess, and ended up with two red nav lights.  it not terribly bad......just rip out the widow maker,  tie it to a piece of wire,  and swish it around in thinner.....ready to start over.

5a73f700a0b06_1.jpg.dc8623c8de6dc163f23d4a672e987b8f.jpg

the bigger ones work out a lot better......they even look better too.  the other one was dried off and window maker was filled back into the lense.  while it was drying, I assembled the spotlight.   the wire was bent to shape,  the interior of the light was painted with flat silver....but what to do about the glass?  I tried to cut out a circle from some clear cello.....but that came out poorly.  the paper punch is too small.......I estimated the opening to be 5/16".  then I thought of my binder paper punch.....I use it to put the instructions in binders.....makes it easier to thumb through.  looking at the punch pegs.......they look like they {one of 'em anyway},  will do the trick.  so I punched out a few circles.

5a73f8cb339e6_2.jpg.201d6d502eb8601c9f3d2f1404bdfa88.jpg

....a little window maker......and there ya go......lense glass ;)   checking the light......it's dry!  it's a new bottle......the other bottle I had,  I've had for many years,  it was turning to snot  :D   

5a73f989a5b87_3.jpg.4361b423009fe22a7048a6498a690c76.jpg

as can be seen,  I also stained the buoy box.....I could have done better with it.  glue blotches are an absolute pain.   the winch on the pilot house was set up at this time.  as I was running the shaft through,  one of the brackets broke free from the base!   it was set up and glued back in place.  I had filled the drum with rope and tied a hook on the end.  what I did wind up will be coiled up and laid on the deck.  the spotlight is also cemented in place too.

5a73faaf23d76_4.jpg.8c8856575ee52fadc8cb9fc88beb9c1d.jpg

5a73ff3986b0e_8.jpg.fbf9ff1e04446656737b7a4e80c594d0.jpg

then......the trilogy with the hand rails!.......coulda spit nails!  of course,  I'm on the floor,  so Gibbs took advantage of it....cuddling all over me!  when he was younger,  something like this would bring his alpha out......he'd turn into the Tasmanian devil.  you couldn't do anything but stand up and ignore him.  he's gotten older now,  and to the point where you can talk to him,  snapping him out of it.  I'm not kidding......he used to tear clothes!  I refuse to give up on him.  after I took him out.....and then changed my flannel shirt because it had Gibb's hair all over it {It gets on my table too},  I could get back to work.  I had found the hand rail bolt I lost,  so I was able to finish them.

5a73fd15457c0_5.jpg.b993778fb79615b5221feee62ebefa42.jpg

there's a hair on the boat......{as I pick it off}.  

5a73fd92033ef_7.jpg.22ac026e50ea0bde4d271f271ade25d3.jpg

the buoy box has bee cemented in place.  if you look where the mast will be,  I added an extra bracket.   I could drill a couple of holes for belaying pins,  but I will leave it plain.

5a73fee2735c6_6.jpg.8041277f62092b55e5fb89d0edbc1d8b.jpg

at this point of the evening,  I put on everything I could put on without fuss.  the railings on the forward structure,  the cold bin holds,  the excess rope from the winch was coiled up and cemented in place,  the numbers on the bow,  and the pilot house name plate {which is actually a stick on decal}.

5a7400007f1e9_9.jpg.a87d31dc47228b77b65a6a48c85271fb.jpg

the little dog house was added to the pilot house base as well.

5a740031ee8c4_10.jpg.7a81aaf83604050d38e8f46d522471c7.jpg

5a74003ecce1e_11.jpg.18679014b4b3a1c8abb79a21804e915e.jpg

5a74004dd80e4_12.jpg.4c8b2b28364fea510f8f20459564aa77.jpg

a mast collar was added for the aft mast too.   I have the second one which is the upper bracket....it will be up near the roof line.  the pilot house is cemented in place now.......no more taking it off and playing with it.  well my friends.......the spinach is wearing off........me thinks Olive has sawed a cord by now.....time for me ta make some sawdust too A-K-k-k-k-k-k emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.ac50766a47ab1626fb587a55bf6d0fa8.gif

#4.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree, not only did you get it done but were able to take the extra time to share with us.

Night

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey