The Syren Rope Rocket is now in stock....

Make your own rope!!! This is the very same machine we make all of our rope with at Syren Ship Model Company.  This ropewalk makes rope virtually any length.  You can make 3 strand and 4 strand rope.  Make left or right hand rope. The Syren Rope Rocket can quickly make tightly laid up rope.  Each ropewalk kit comes with one ball of thread you can use while following our online video lessons. Made of sturdy laser cut Cherry wood and steel and stainless steel parts.  The rope rocket comes with Delrin gears for a long life.

US patent 5232168-28 - With registration in China pending just in case!!!  Don't buy Chinese fakes, support your hobby and buy the original.

Click here to view the ropewalk page on the Syren website and download the assembly instructions.

Online video rope-making lessons will be uploaded very soon!

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

15 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Online video rope-making lessons will be uploaded very soon!

Maybe you should only supply a link to the downloads to buyers of the ropewalk? At least the Chinese will have to actually buy one before they pirate it :angry:. It might slow them down a day or so :rolleyes:.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 4 weeks later...

Just uploaded the two part video tutorial on how to make rope using the Syren Rope Rocket.  I know I am from New Joysee.  So no cracks about the accent!!!  Exit 15W.  Its hard enough talking to yourself when you are making these videos.  Because actually making a length of rope only takes 5 minutes....I tried to stretch it.  Let me know if you guys have any questions.

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/ropewalk.php

Thats just as good for me....but really, its kinda fun if you dont have to make 5,000 feet per week. ;)

Chuck

I got my Rope Rocket last week and could not wait for the videos to become available.  My previous ropewalk was a bobbin-type and I literally melted the plastic gears running it too fast.  Even without the videos, it took me only a few minutes to make beautiful three strand right hand laid rope.  (I have not tried left hand laid yet.)  I have always found that the most difficult rope to make is at the extremes of thread size but I had no problems using either the included #50 crochet thread, #100 or #10.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thank You Toni.   :D Left hand isnt any harder.  Just leave yourself enough room on the edge of the table when you twist the three individual strands on the headstock. You will be unravelling that thread and then twisting it back up tightly again.  So you will be walking the headstock in both directions across the table.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I've assembled my Syren Rope Rocket and waiting for the glue to dry. The videos are really good but I thought the

headless horseman was giving the lesson. Where was your smiling face? :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

No...I used to dye the rope and use DMC like everyone else.  But I stopped doing that really quick.  Now I get all of my thread from Ireland.  I have it custom dyed in large batches.  Its a commercial source.  There are plenty of custom thread making companies out there but you need to order a whole heck of a lot with each batch.   Its much more expensive than just buying a ball of thread off the rack.

Its my closely held secret as it gives me the edge over other scale model rope makers.  When they dye rope...like I did way back when,  its tough to get consistent results.  Although every batch I get might vary slightly in color, it is much better to do it this way.  Saves a whole a bunch of time too.

Chuck

Hi chuck

When will the rocket be back in stock??

Thanks

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I just order more materials, gears and hubs and things to make more.  As soon as they arrive I will make more.

Chuck

Great thanks

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 1 month later...

HI Chuck, any ideas when you will have these back in stock again?

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I forgot to mention that and wasnt about to take another video.  But its not for the ends.  Its for when you do larger ropes.  Like the 2mm stuff.   It may have more of a tendency to unwind slightly.  So instead of just running some water down the rope after its laid up....I like to make a weak and very thin solution.  I mix some white glue or even titebond in the cup of water....its still very watery and then run that over the rope.  Once dry....no worries about unraveling. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chuck, I laid up a nine strand rope last night following your videos.  Because of my limitations I could only do about 3 feet.  Amazing results for my first try.  Really impressed with the Rocket.  And I might add, and trust me there is no bias whatsoever, but if you put the Rocket against MS Rope Walk, it is night and day.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck - just watched your videos good stuff thanks - one question, in your video you said you can make virtually unlimited lengths - I assume that the length is limited by the distance between head and tail stocks or can a completed length be joined to a fresh lay up?  Cheers Pete

Edited by PeteB
typo

Yes you are correct...its the length between the two ends.  But you must also realize that the longer you make the rope the more difficult it becomes and there really isnt any reason why you should try and lay up a 40 foot length when you could more easily and more comfortably make two 20 foot lengths.  Its not worth risking something going wrong and wasting time and material.  It gets trickier when you make excessively long lengths.  I have done so just out of curiosity but like I said it just doesnt make any logical sense to do so.

And to answer the other question about where I get my material for making rope.....that is the one secret I will not reveal.  Its a very competitive industry and I need and want to keep this particular tidbit as a Syren secret.  Sorry folks.  I have no issue showing you how I make rope and even providing you with the exact same machine....but the source of my wonderful Cotolin thread will remain hidden.